Option to hide number of comments when reading. :rejected:

Can we get an option to hide the number of comments while reading chapters? Just like we can hide the chapter title in the chapter select.
It's mainly a 'problem' on the mobile view of MD, since on desktop, you just hide the sidebar and all's good.

But on mobile, everytime I scroll to the top, since that's what I do everytime I change chapters, I always see the number of comments.

vjxIXWy.jpg

And it the reason for this suggestion is, because that number is basically a spoiler, which tells you whether something big has happened in the given chapter or not.

Ch.8 - 46 comments: "Just a solid chapter I guess, let's see"
Ch.9 - 31 comments: "Yeah, another normal chapter I assume"
Ch.10 - 293 comments: "Hmmm, I wonder of something happened in this chapter 🤔"
Ch.11 - 453 comments: "Heh, must be a boring chapter...right?"

Quickly rejected, sad. But I can live with it.
Btw, however I look at it, it is still kind of a spoiling feature to me.
Of course it's not a spoiler if you don't even read that specific manga, but if you do, then based on the previous chapters, when the next one is suddenly hyped up, you can already guess what might've exactly happened, to who, with who etc.

Well whatever.

Double-page supporter
Well, reading first 3-5 pages (in most cases) allows you to assume what happens for entire chapter. Isn't it biggest spoiler possible? Why don't you stop reading manga at all?

Dex-chan lover
I can kind of see what you mean, but it's no worse than reading chapter titles ahead by accident. It would be a worthless feature for a very minor annoyance.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Depending on whether I decide I want to add this kind of minutiae options in the v5 reader, I might as well throw it in, but for now I'm not going to update the current one to include this.

Of course it's not a spoiler if you don't even read that specific manga, but if you do, then based on the previous chapters, when the next one is suddenly hyped up, you can already guess what might've exactly happened, to who, with who etc.
Being able to imagine what might happen in a chapter you haven't read yet is not a spoiler either.

@-Aincrad-
A simple way to hide the number of comments is to add this filter to your favorite adblocker.
Code:
mangadex.org###comment-button > .comment-amount

PS : the best adblocker on browser is uBlock Origin

Dex-chan lover
It might sound offensive, if yes I'm sorry, but I found some people to be bothered by the weirdest things. Like that black arrow that shows side panel in the default reader, now the comment number.... What's next, removing MD icon because you hate cats?

Dex-chan lover
@Yatsuki
What's next, removing MD icon because you hate cats?
You joke, but out of the 1.8 million+ registered users on MangaDex, I have no doubt that there is at least one user (non-spambot non-troll) who would unironically campaign for this change.

Dex-chan lover
@comeonnow0 No kidding, a friend I introduced MD to, after I pointed out the MD icon is a cat (he totally did not notice for the whole half a year he's been using the site), actually said "Why a cat? A dog would be better. Or just stylized MD or something. So stupid." So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there's someone crazy enough to suggest a change.

Power Uploader
Now that the OP mentioned it, can we have an option to hide END tag on series with multiple season?

Reason: END tag *kinda* spoil it for people when the final chapter is released and they thought the series is axed, and literally everyone jumped to the comment to express their disbelief without even clicking the chapter to see TL's note about the 2nd season

(Yeah this actually happened. I got quite a good laugh, no kidding - check out Maou-sama, Retry! and see everyone's reaction to the END tag)

Dex-chan lover
@RonBWL
That would make it look like it was dropped and never picked up again, which let me tell you, does a heck of a lot more damage to its viability as a series to read than being short but having a sequel right there in the description.
If your main concern is comments of people who can't read, that's basically acceptable collateral damage just about anywhere. Just dunk on them and move on.

Dex-chan lover
@MrIncognito I think he knows it's not viable, that's why he posted in a rejected thread instead of making a legit new one XD

Power Uploader
@MrIncognito I was having a different suggestion in mind, that is a different END tag, maybe Green / Yellow / Etc... to signal readers that it's "end of season" tag instead of "end of series" tag, and perhaps an option to "go to chapter 1 of next season" if there's a linked one in the related section. But yeah, basically the same idea.

Users who are viewing this thread