Orenchi ni Kita Onna Kishi to Inakagurashi Surukotoninatta Ken - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - Itadakimasu

Dex-chan lover
Why do Japanese authors always assume Medieval Europeans were unfamiliar with rice. It was exported to Italy and Germania from Egypt 3000 years ago, the Macedonian Greeks grew it and 1200 years ago was being cultivated in Spain and Southern France.

Also forks only became regular tableware in the West around the time of the American Revolution. Medieval Westerners would've used a sharp knife and their hands or a spoon if it was pottage.

Contributor
@Northern Because europeans are just southern barbarians anyway~ they don't have enough of culture between all the killing to cultivate japan's superior foodstock.

Banned
On one hand she comes from a presumably typical fantasy world which is basically just Middle-Ages Europe with magic and monsters... in theory. So one might expect her to have survived mostly on venison, turnips and mouldy bread up to now...

On the other hand, like every other isekai, the world she comes from is only "Middle-Ages Europe with magic and monsters" from an entirely Japanese cultural perspective. Which means blond/e hair is abnormally prevalent, architecture is anarchonistic (often Georgian or just oversimplified), Pseudo-Catholicism is the ONLY religion (sorry Henry VIII)... and most minor things one wouldn't give much thought to are all culturally Japanese OR regard Japanese culture as inherently superior. ¬_¬

e.g. Language, Humour, Bathing customs, Food layout and consumption, Social attitude to genders / sexuality, etc.
The fucking hilarious thing is that a lot of the Japanese culture that is treated as superior are actually cultural imports... including the prudism.

Supporter
"Let's talk while we are eating" --> "Let's finish eating and then we will talk"

Dex-chan lover
Japanese people are always so inordinately proud of their food, it's almost endearing to watch. Like, dudes, it's literally just rice and (usually) soy sauce, you didn't invent the culinary equivalent of the wheel.

Fed-Kun's army
"By nature Japanese people are Buddhists"
He says doing a Shinto practice.

@Deathhappens
It seems to be universally agreed on that Japanese food is really good by all cultures, with only Italian and Chinese cooking being rated higher.
Global%20cuisine%20grid-01.png

Dex-chan lover
@chrona That's a pretty biased sample (11/24 of countries listed are Asian) , and very small compared to the world at large anyway.

Fed-Kun's army
@Deathhappens
Do you have better data to refute it? Most of the world doesn't matter. I'm going to take a wild guess that the majority of Africa isn't drowning in foreign restaurants, so their opinion is irrelevant. Similar to Mexico and below for the Americas. Most of the Middle East is underdeveloped anywhere with a lack of oil, with the places that actually matter, UAE, being included in the chart. You could argue that there should be more European countries listed, but with the EU being a thing, there isn't a high bar of access to, say, Germany's, France's and Italy's restaurant scenes by any countries also in the EU. That leaves Russia and Eastern Europe. Both second world country(s) that have not had much economic development in comparison to the places listed.

It should also be noted that Japan also has the highest number of 3-star michelin restaurants in the world, bar France.
https://www.aploris.com/blog/charts/mekko-chart-showing-michelin-star-restaurants-by-country/
It seems Europeans also love Japanese food.

Please note I am not arguing that Japanese food is best in the world, evidently, they are third best at best.

@chrona
"Both second world country(s) that have not had much economic development in comparison to the places listed."
Emm... filipino, moroccan, lebanese... oh yeah, top economy tigers... *facepalm*

Page 11 Holy shit, I usually only have a bowl of cereal for breakfast; yet here they are having a full 5 course meal. This is also something I've seen in many other anime and manga. Do Japanese people really eat that much irl?

Double-page supporter
@Bluehammer12 It is just a simple breakfast though. Fish, tamagoyaki, miso soup, some pickles and cold tofu that already made before hand. It is nothing much. One thing I notice that Westerners eat a really simple breakfast, cereal, breads, coffee, milk. It is something I can't really get used to when I went to the US since as an Asian, I always eat a hearty meal for breakfast, rice with side dishes, a huge sandwich or a bowl of noodles. If I ate the Western breakfast, I won't have enough energy till lunch.

@miyako19 You say that like that's a simple array of dishes to prepare for breakfast. As if it wasn't difficult or time consuming at all. :p
Which is frustrating, speaking as a Westerner who's tried to make really simple Japanese dishes like omorice and failed spectacularly (and didn't even have the ingredients on hand anyway, had to go to the store and buy stuff I don't normally stock my fridge with).

@miyako19 You say that like that's a simple array of dishes to prepare for breakfast. As if it wasn't difficult or time consuming at all. :p
Which is frustrating, speaking as a Westerner who's tried to make really simple Japanese dishes like omorice and failed spectacularly (and didn't even have the ingredients on hand anyway, had to go to the store and buy stuff I don't normally stock my fridge with). 😫

Users who are viewing this thread