Oretachi wa Shinkon-san Kamo Shirenai

Instead of it being practical it was rather stupid but cute. I approve of this stupidity

Dex-chan lover
Ok, I’m in, but gay marriage isn’t a thing in Japan yet.
You can actually be evicted for being gay most places there

@Thrembs actually in Shibuya since 2015, gay couples can apply for partnership certificates that are equivalent to marriage. Unfortunately, it is only recognized within that district, but it is there

Edit: I just looked into it again cause I haven't looked it up in a few years, but as of 2020, the same certificate is actually given and recognized in 63 municipalities and 2 prefectures, and there's more waiting to for the policies to take effect. While it doesn't technically have the same legal status as a marriage certificate, all the same legal benefits apply

Dex-chan lover
@JustRyn
I mentioned the certificate in chapter 1’s comments.
I’m glad to see it’s spreading!

Maybe I’ll feel safe to travel Japan again, soon. Not going without my family.

I got enough stares for being nearly 6” tall bye eyed and like half Ashkenazim (curly hair, prominent cheekbones, schnozzola).

I look kind of like what a manga artist would draw if you said “draw a white person”, but not blonde.

It was amazing how few people could grasp that I was speaking Japanese at first. When I was in Kyoto for a week I spoke Kyoto-ben. People would expect English and get so nervous that when I spoke they would hear English gibberish. Then after a minute or so I got “日本語上手いなぁ!」a bit exhausting

@Thrembs
Damn, I'm sorry, that's real. I think you're safer over there than in other countries in terms of not being murdered for being queer or different, but they will sure as shit make you feel uncomfortable. They don't have any kind of discrimination laws either, so you can be fired, kicked out, and ostracized for being a foreigner or queer. I didn't have any problems while I was there, I did get stares, but I am also not white looking as I am half Vietnamese and I think mostly the stares I got were from not being able to tell if I was a guy or a girl and the piercings and tattoos. Some do definitely look at you weirdly though as if they can't understand for the first few minutes when you speak Japanese and they don't expect you too, but mostly we were treated really well, especially by the old ladies, which was rather surprising as we have lots of face piercings and visible tattoos

Users who are viewing this thread