Oshi no Bishoujo ni Kokuhaku sareru Hanashi - Vol. 1 Ch. 6

Ahh, okay but isn't that too few frame from yuzu and rika for that title being.
Btw Thanks For TL. :thumbsup:

Dex-chan lover
Yuzu's friends seem like they're really fun together. Ayame messing with Masumi is awesome and cute!

Dex-chan lover
I feel like Idol would be the best word to replace oshi. Fans idolize and support ya know

Dex-chan lover
As a girl who's SUPER supportive towards her female friends, I get her. I compliment them the way I would do to an idol or smth, and that's female friendship at its finest.

N2O

Dex-chan lover
Hmm.. An all too common occurrence in school life yuri is that they start introducing more and more couples to the point where the main couple starts playing second fiddle. This chapter just reminded me of this, idk.

Dex-chan lover
here's an extra chapter that came with the published version of the manga.

this is the second manga I've worked on that uses oshi (推し) a lot, but I still don't really know the best way to translate it. To stan? To support? A fave? An idol? I used a bit of a roundabout solution that was a bit wordier this time, but hopefully it stills reads okay.
I'd personally just use oshi, I see it in online circles a moderate bit, I think just having a note on it is more than sufficient for it to enter people's lexicon as is.

Barring that I guess stan's probably the closest equivalent but I personally dislike it a lot. I really would just keep it as is either way.

Dex-chan lover
Oshi term is popularized by idol culture, but it doesn't mean idol. Oshi in that context mean your favourite idol in that idol group.
I’m not saying that’s what it meant. Just that personally I feel like it fits the most. That’s my “idol” I “idolize” and support them so much.

Instead of something cringey like stan IMO

Dex-chan lover
I feel like Idol would be the best word to replace oshi. Fans idolize and support ya know
Oshi term is popularized by idol culture, but it doesn't mean idol. Oshi in that context mean your favourite idol in that idol group.

But oshi sort of does mean idol... At least in English, given that we lack an equivalent word.

I mean, everyone knows idol = idoru (アイドル) = idol. But as @JKTV said, English could also use the noun "idol" for the noun form of "oshi" (in the sense that "my idol" = "my fave") and "idolize" for the verb form.

While this would, unfortunately, erase "oshi" as a subcult niche term, it would communicate its basic meaning quite clearly. Or so it seems to non-expert monolingual me...

Last edited:
Have you considered using 'favorite'? Doesn't help with verb usage, though.

Edit: Oh, it was already suggested three posts before mine, by beep_repair. Guess that's what I get for skimming over the last bits.

Fed-Kun's army
Wait, what the fuck? Ayame is a GIRL? I kept assuming she was a guy from the way she looked but I noticed she looked slightly girlier in this chapter, then I noticed.

Dex-chan lover
”I’m straight“
”So’s spaghetti, until it gets wet”

……
now i want some spaghetti🍝

Although virtually everybody else has already said about as much, I’d also say simply leaving it as oshi is ideal. I am biased due to having already picked up the term after entering the vtuber rabbit hole a few years back, but, I feel that even without a TL note, the context of its usage in a chapter like this should be more than sufficient to infer a general meaning of the word.

Retrospectively, I’ve probably been an otaku for something near 12 or more years now, I suppose. When I first started getting introduced to stuff like this, I truly never thought I’d see the day that I became one of the cliche otaku using niche jargon and loan words, and advocating for such words to not be changed in English translations. Here I am now, having had an idol otaku kamioshi for the past 3 years, and have been actively drowning in the yuri swamp for around 10 years. The internet can truly be a wonderfully transformative place, be it for better or for worse.

Anyways, back to the actual chapter. I personally actually vastly preferred Yuzu’s appearance from before the supposed glow-up from the start. The natural short fluffy hair and big round glasses from the original design definitely look exponentially superior in my eyes. But, based off current character designs, I think Masumi might actually be my favorite. Doubly so when she has her hair in the ponytail with bangs, like the latter half of the chapter.

Regardless, this is absolute peak yuri, and I am extremely glad to see it being translated here. I’m loving every single chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread