Oshibana! - Ch. 23

Group Leader
I can't help but feel that the mangaka is working through her own old traumas and/or repressed desires through this arc. Which, you know, I'm sympathetic, but I'd really rather she talk to a therapist instead. But I guess I'm a bit hypocritical because I really, really should just drop this manga as it does nothing but piss me off at this point but I keep coming back like it's an abusive partner.

Dex-chan lover
I can't help but feel that the mangaka is working through her own old traumas and/or repressed desires through this arc. Which, you know, I'm sympathetic, but I'd really rather she talk to a therapist instead. But I guess I'm a bit hypocritical because I really, really should just drop this manga as it does nothing but piss me off at this point but I keep coming back like it's an abusive partner.
Agreed. While it does make for a good story, mangakas and all story writers alike should chrish themselves and their personal health before their stories.

Dex-chan lover
No, I don't at all appreciate this arc. When you present a side character as wholly unlikable, their character arcs CANNOT happen before the MCs' and DEFINITELY NOT take attention away from undeveloped main characters. You slowly warm the reader up to them so we can cheer them on to change later on, NOT have them become the pseudo main character immediately.

I absolutely feel nothing for her or her plight because it was done in such a heavyhanded way. :shamihuh:

Contributor
"I'm turning her down."

If anything I'd give extra respect for Shouma's resolve. Logically speaking he'd probably be better off with another girl with the way he was being treated, but I like that he follows his heart with conviction. Shouma's a strong boy, he can take it. If he actually manages to win Marika's heart at the end of all this after she's become even a little bit of a nicer person, he deserves his win.

"You should treat him right too."

Pretty sure those words cut more deeply than it seemed. Truer words have never been said, from Sawa, the person she didn't want to hear it from. But yeah, this chapter is the kind of story development I've been expecting ever since Marika and Shouma "got together": her leaving her unrequited first love behind, getting her feelings sorted, and maybe, hopefully growing up and learning to be a better person.

"I feel no urge. No urge within me to cross that line."

People label her a lesbian, I still think she's bi because she's at least got sexual compatibility with Shouma, but these thoughts clearly show she's more sexually confused than anything and it's not really as clear cut as we'd like it to be.

I actually found some enjoyment in this chapter. I guess it helps that I don't hate Marika as a character and I find her and Shouma's relationship to be very interesting.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
"I'm turning her down"

If anything I'd give extra respect for Shouma's resolve. Logically speaking he'd probably be better off with another girl with the way he was being treated, but I like that he follows his heart with conviction. Shouma's a strong boy, he can take it. If he actually manages to win Marika's heart at the end of all this after she's become even a little bit of a nicer person, he deserves his win.

"You should treat him right too."

Pretty sure those words cut more deeply than it seemed. Truer words have never been said, from Sawa, the person she didn't want to hear it from. But yeah, this chapter is the kind of story development I've been expecting ever Marika and Shouma "got together": her leaving her first love behind, getting her feelings sorted, and maybe, hopefully growing up and learning to be a better person.

"I feel no urge. No urge within me to cross that line."

People label her a lesbian, I still think she's bi because she's at least got sexual compatibility with Shouma, but these thoughts clearly show she's more sexually confused than anything and it's not really as clear cut as we'd like it to be.

I actually found some enjoyment in this chapter. I guess it helps that I don't hate Marika as a character and I find her and Shouma's relationship to be very interesting.
I just want this arc to end with the side characters happy, and with each other. Thankfully it feels like it may head that direction soon.

Here, let me get my tank ready in case that doesn't happen.⠀⠀

AOaSqTq.png
⠀⠀⠀​

Dex-chan lover
truly hope this is a case of actually being in love and just cutting it off since it's not reciprocated. glad to see just one fucking manga where a character doesn't say "you like someone else, but i'll never give up on you" and then proceeds to stalk their love interest.

Group Leader
If you have read her previous manga, then you'd understand that she's cooking. Based on her messages from xuitter, she just likes writing stories like that.

Users who are viewing this thread