Oshibana! - Ch. 28

Supporter
I refuse to apologize for posting this
what-is-love-jim-carry.gif

Dex-chan lover
Ah yes the realisation of different types of love, namely Philia and eros. Can't remember the other two greek name but they are love for family and love for god , celebrity, brand, fictional stuff, ideology and other intangible stuff.

Group Leader
With Sawa suddenly being jealous of Hachiouji and Marika saying she doesn't love him (or anyone?) romantically I legitimately don't understand what the author is even going for at this point. I can't even call it yuribait because the het feels like bait too. I keep wanting to drop this manga but it somehow keeps drawing me back in, it's an addiction fr fr.

Dex-chan lover
Ah yes the realisation of different types of love, namely Philia and eros. Can't remember the other two greek name but they are love for family and love for god , celebrity, brand, fictional stuff, ideology and other intangible stuff.
Filial love for children, or love only pure hearted children can express, which is either brotherhood or child dependent on parent. Root is filio which is offspring.

Eros you would know that because anime sells it. Root is from the pagan demon Eros.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Ah, yes, the Four Loves.

Storge - familial love, the love of parent and child, or the love of those who are like family.
Philia - friendly love, the love of those who are like brothers, nakama.
Eros - romantic love, the love of lovers, the default definition of love in modern day.
Agape - universal love, the love of God, the universe, life itself. Basically, the love of existence, and all that is part of it.

It really is tragic that society has become so twisted that many people view love only through the lens of Eros. There is so much more, and it feels like we, as humans, are losing something of ourselves by ignoring the greater whole.

Forgive me for my tangent. If you want to read more, CS Lewis was the one who coined and defined the Four Loves, and he speaks about them at length in his book, The Four Loves.

Supporter
With Sawa suddenly being jealous of Hachiouji and Marika saying she doesn't love him (or anyone?) romantically I legitimately don't understand what the author is even going for at this point. I can't even call it yuribait because the het feels like bait too. I keep wanting to drop this manga but it somehow keeps drawing me back in, it's an addiction fr fr.
I don't think Sawa feels the kind of jealousy you're ascribing to her. Sure, having Marika's time divided like this bothers her, and actually seeing their relationship progress bothers her even more on multiple fronts (even giving her a sense of inadequacy), but she's never thought there was a romantic or sexual attraction from her side to be upset about losing out on.

Oh, and Marika isn't saying she doesn't love him romantically. She's now sure her feelings for Sawa were never romantic because of what she feels for Hachiouji, but she doesn't have a name for (or is afraid to put a name to) what her feelings for him actually are.

Group Leader
I like how the story's been going, even if it sidetracked to focus on the supporting characters. Marika fixing her hang ups about Sawa and love also means the main couple can grow more now. Marika won't be interfering with Oota and she won't be in the corner, drowning in self-loathing. Instead, she can genuinely be supportive of Sawa, and it's one less worry for Sawa.

Group Leader
Oh, and Marika isn't saying she doesn't love him romantically. She's now sure her feelings for Sawa were never romantic because of what she feels for Hachiouji, but she doesn't have a name for (or is afraid to put a name to) what her feelings for him actually are.
What she says is "It's less that I like him and more that I suddenly feel a sense of attachment to him." And when Sawa asks if she means "it's love not like," Marika responds "Uh, not exactly... It's hard to put into words." And she later asks "What is love, anyway?" While it's possible she's "afraid to put a name to" her feelings, I don't really see why she would be now that she's fully explicitly dating him.

Also, I very much disagree that she's sure her feelings for Sawa "were never romantic." They're not romantic now (supposedly), but in chapter 23 she reflects that she definitely used to have something very similar to romantic feelings for her; she just (supposedly) doesn't anymore. And on Sawa's end, I'm not sure if "bothered by having less time with Marika" and "feeling inadequate" really explain her obsessing about seeing them kiss for an entire day and then slipping so hard she breaks her hand lol.

To be clear, I fully expect this manga to end in double het. However, theoretically, if the author were trying to set up a twist SawaxMarika ending, this is exactly how she'd do it, with Sawa displaying jealousy she's literally never shown before and Marika still not figuring out what precisely she feels for Sawa and Hachiouji. And while I am admittedly a yuri fan, I stopped caring about any of these characters a while back so such an ending wouldn't really make me happy. However, it would be extremely funny and piss a lot of people off, so I am rooting for it for that reason.

Dex-chan lover
This character growth and storybuilding is great, I'm often so starved for it in manga.
Also I love the "too bright" gag! always gets a laugh outta me when I see it.

Supporter
I can't believe the author didn't spend another ten chapters on misunderstandings and the two characters just had a heart to heart and talked it out, wow.
:korone:

Idk why so many ppl hate this side story it's so good. Like the blackmailing self destructive lust is fucking heart hurting gold that was executed amazingly. Makes you hate yourself so good. Love this book and hate myself 10/10 so far. (Okay maybe the main story moves a little slow but I have no complaints)

Contributor
Ever since Marika stopped being toxic to Shouma they've become the closest example of a shining normie couple to the main ship and I find that funny. They're getting left behind in the dust!

Shouma is an understanding boyfriend, and patient if nothing else. Nothing like the old petty dude who spread nasty rumors about his school rival Sawa. Traces of tsundere still remain with Marika, but nothing like how she used to be. She's falling into the girlfriend role nicely. She says she's still a bit confused about love, but I say she's already getting there and mostly got things figured out. These two have changed for the better, it's always great to see character growth.

Now if only Sawa and Oota can follow suit and develop too. They have a nice example to look up to now.

I don't think Shouma is going to feel bad about not getting to taste Marika's chocolate first, he was already the first to taste Marika herself (and he loves the fact that he gets to do it pretty often with the girl he loves)...

Users who are viewing this thread