Otaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii - Vol. 9 Ch. 69

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for the translation, although I don't really agree with the idea of referring to a character who considers herself to be female as gender neutral. I don't remember the official English translation referring to her in that way.

Nice way to force neutral pronouns on a girl who is bonafide female all for the sake of STAYING WOKE

I read some silly comment about it be textually accurate since Japan doesn’t use gendered language like English does. If that is the case, why not make all characters in the translation be gender neutral? .....people making silly excuses, the author has already made it clear she’s a girl that is sometimes confused to be a guy because she’s shy and dresses like a guy, but secretly likes girly things. The official translation does it properly, I really can’t understand the point of these silly actions other than to annoy people.

It would be like purposely typoing a character name, and then be like if you want Masumi spelled as Narumi you can read the official. Odd behaviour.

So completely aside from the pronoun conversation - can anyone point me to the chapter in which Kou and Nao's relationship got awkward? I can't seem to find it.

There would be no complaining if you didnt misgender someone with malicious intent.

I understand that in Japanese, Kou uses pronouns that are genderless, but it is clear that Kou doesn't use it because of a neutral gender identity. Kou clearly likes being a girl, Kou's friends understand Kou is a girl, and the official translation uses she/her pronouns. In English there is no good way to translate genderless third person pronouns, so it should be localized to what feels more natural. There is a reason why other people don't have gender neutral pronouns forced on to them. It is as disrespectful as forcing a gendered pronoun onto someone who doesn't actually want to be called by one.

@frostcrystal they had realizations of their feelings in the chapter when kou met nao's brother, and the chapter when nao and friends follow kou to her part time job

jo1

@Otaku-Z
Of course I am grateful for the translations but it still comes across as misogynistic to keep misgendering a female character for no reason, even if it's not the translators intention. I understand using gender neutral pronouns in the earlier chapters when nao was unaware of kou's gender but it's already been cleared up in the manga..

Fed-Kun's army
No but seriously why is everyone pissed at an accurate translation? go complain to the author

Ank

Double-page supporter
They should stop doing this because they are clouding the chapters. Someone get them some help.

Double-page supporter
I wonder if the translators are using the they/them pronouns because Kou-kun is a nonbinary woman or is this some sort of Japanese language thing? As in the translators are just acurattely translating the use of gender neutral prouns of the original work as that's how the author wrote an intended it. Like how Nao is always given the suffix "chan" even though that typically denotes a female or small child.

Edit: I first wrote this with out reading the comments, yikes.
I guess westerns have a lot of cultural baggage with pronouns, myself included.

Users who are viewing this thread