Otaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii - Vol. 9 Ch. 69

The parallels with part 1 of pairs where Kou was comfortable talking to Nao but not to kenchan and the others and now shes comfortable talking to them but too scared to talk to Nao :(((

Double-page supporter
At this point, I put my head on filter mode that filters out the "they them" and replaces it with "she her". But really, as a tomboyish girl whose personality and appearance are similar to Kou, I found it super annoying. It is like the translator group desperately tries to insert a nonbinary person into the manga just for the sake of it or to purposely troll the readers and ignore the author's intention and the plot.

Double-page supporter
Yeah I 1,000% fully support NB and agender representation when that is the intention. This is a doubling-down on a translator error. I respect their decision to translate the way they do, but it is factually incorrect- and one credits page does not mean they are in the right. It's icky to apply pronouns to someone when they don't fit with that person's gender identy, it's like refusing to call a trans person by their post-transition pronouns. Gross and disrespectful.

That said, I appreciate the work that the scanlators put into this manga and translation. One silly mistake doesn't invalidate plenty of good effort ^_^ too bad they made it a farce

Really feels like scanlators are misconstruing headcanon with inclusivity. Like I imagine they're coming from a good place and trying to support the LGBTQ+ community, but this is pretty offensive all things considered.

Misgendering Kou with they/them is reducing the trans community to the idea of "boyish girls and girlish boys who don't fit standard gender norms are trans" and that's a horribly inaccurate view. The author has explicitly stated before that Kou is a girl, so it really feels like they're making an issue out of a non-issue.

Anyways, their work in scanlating is still appreciated, but I hope they'll correct themselves in the future if they truly want to be woke/inclusive.

@miyako19
Wouldn’t it be he/him because they call her kun instead of chan

@Zanderdom
Except she uses and replies to kun instead of chan, which is how the original misunderstanding happened because everyone including herself referred to her either as him or using a gender neutral suffix

@Kuroiikawa
It’s less that she’s a boyish girl than she is an androgynous girl that calls herself a boy and it’s entirely possible that they were referring to her in a non gendered way, in that case they should have just used him

@Shnebs they call Naoya Naochan. He’s a boy. They being the rest of the characters. Kou is a girl, but she was mistaken for a boy so that’s why she was called kou kun and the name stuck. While kun is typically for boys and Chan is typically for girls, it’s not always the case.

@Le_Dokja I know! I'm super excited with what the author is gonna do with them next! They are by far my favorite coupling in the show and manga! I've definitely gonna buy the next volume that comes out in the U.S just so I can have their development in paper lol.

@newmangareader246 They are honestly the best lmaoo. They see Nao drag this random girl into their friendgroup, mistake her for guy and then proceed to fall in love with her and they're just watching it all happen with the most chill reactions.

@Managhsjjd true bros right there, also its good he has them cus his dense ass would otherwise take forever to figure out stuff xd

Hopefully, the team will stop using "them/they" starting on the next chapter that has kou in it as it really feels off reading. Many already stated that she is a women, identify as such, and everybody in the story knows she's a women. Earlier in the story when nao thought she was a guy, it was fine with using "he" but we are already past that point.

Users who are viewing this thread