Otoyomegatari - Ch. 107 - Parents and Children

Dex-chan lover
That's a very fair point. Some people are in fact educated into ignorance, but that's a whole other issue!
To put aside your very intelligent points and discussion, your name makes me think of HTTYD, and makes me smile.

Dex-chan lover
It couldn't be helped. The story had to return to Victorian maids at some point.

Dex-chan lover
To put aside your very intelligent points and discussion, your name makes me think of HTTYD, and makes me smile.
Had to do a bit of google-fu to understand what you meant, but unfortunately it has nothing to do with HTTYD, which I haven't seen but my daughter assures me I missed out on.
My handle is a word I made up more than 30 years ago to denote "something very important that you wouldn't want to eat". Not the most useful neologism, but I have hope it could catch on yet!

Aggregator gang
I tell you, Mr. Smith (Henry's father) is not behaving like a proper Victorian man. I mean, usually if a good, proper, British Victorian man of good standing's wife were to strongly disagree with what he considers aceptable to do in HIS family, certainly it should be her the one receiving a good stern talking-to, plus a reminder of to whom do belong those nice houses, and who has and doesn't have the final word on who can or can't enter them. Tsk, tsk. There goes the Empire...

(Yes, hilariously, after a hundred chapters of Smith suffering love troubles because of XIX century machistic discrimination of the woman, he finds himself in a situation that realistically should have solved itself due to judicious aplication of the exact same! Such is life...)

Dex-chan lover
Oh, by the way, how many children will be conceived on that hunting lodge?

Don't think of it as ignorance, the Victorian upper class were well-educated and, at least in England, valued the education of women.

Talas is a intelligent woman, and with willingness to learn, no?
I wonder if this is how she will overcome her struggles, pursuing education.

Dex-chan lover
Actually, this whole series is being very tame about this. This is England at it's peak, during those times they were committing atrocious acts of violence and a bit of genocide even all over the world.
I expected worse with a cast that includes british characters. Mori toned is down a lot by having only the mother being against this marriage and she didn't allowed the characters to actually discus and say what they thought about those "savages".
Mori seems to be a bit (good ol british understatement) of an anglophile so, not surprising sadly. I dont think a lot of folks who like this era tend to want to address the atrocities, war crimes and colonising.

What surprises me is that they didn't get shipped to the countryside in wales to get away from his mother. A lot of wealthy English people even now treat the country like a cheap holiday destination (which is gross and demeaning for obvious reasons) and that would've most certainly been the case during the victorian era when they were still trying to make the celtic parts of britain forget languages, their individual national identities, pagan spirituality & traditions, absorbing their mythologies and oral storytelling, etc. (and sadly, were quite successful at it.)

I really hope Henry and Talas can make it through this in one piece, poor woman has been through enough tragedy and heartbreak for several life times. She doesn't need to also be subjected to Henry's mother thinking of and being the worst to her too.

Dex-chan lover
Holy based.

Henry didn't give in to his mother.
Tala overcoming her fears on her own way.
The two sought to find their own comfort of happiness.

I'm at bliss. What a good read this is! 🥹

Supporter
Its not much different from when Samurai oriented video games like Nioh, Samurai Warriors, and other similar anime/manga series omits three of the most controversial aspects of the Sengoku period: 1. The subjugation of the Ikko-Ikki Sect, 2. The brutal Japanese invasion of the Korean Peninsula, and 3. The Shogun's government treatment of Japanese Christians.
Not to mention Code Geass romanticizing* the hideous war crimes Japan committed in WW2 against the peoples of Asia, as Japan just wanting what was best for all of them and uniting them against the evil Western powers. (Mind you, the Western powers were committing war crimes of their own... though most of them pale against the R**e of Nanking and suchlike.)

* - Generally, by lying outrageously.

No one is willing to admit they're cheering for genocide and crimes against humanity, even to the present day. And the loudest accusations are usually confessions.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly with her incredible embroidery skills, and his notes- and the casual backround support of Class lmao- I feel like they can work things out. I'm glad despite his gentle demeanor that he really is (just like his mother) stubborn as all sin. He won't budge an inch; I think the minute he realized he loved her, it's just been as natural as anything that, provided she wants his company, he'll make his life with her.

Mori-sensei's feeling of romance... I always enjoy it <3

Dex-chan lover
Mori seems to be a bit (good ol british understatement) of an anglophile so, not surprising sadly. I dont think a lot of folks who like this era tend to want to address the atrocities, war crimes and colonising.

What surprises me is that they didn't get shipped to the countryside in wales to get away from his mother. A lot of wealthy English people even now treat the country like a cheap holiday destination (which is gross and demeaning for obvious reasons) and that would've most certainly been the case during the victorian era when they were still trying to make the celtic parts of britain forget languages, their individual national identities, pagan spirituality & traditions, absorbing their mythologies and oral storytelling, etc. (and sadly, were quite successful at it.)

I really hope Henry and Talas can make it through this in one piece, poor woman has been through enough tragedy and heartbreak for several life times. She doesn't need to also be subjected to Henry's mother thinking of and being the worst to her too.

Anyway, we should put all that aside because this isn't "one of those" stories, right? It's "not about that", it's about the brides.

An easy solution would be, yes, send Henry to live with Tales in the countryside, but I don't think this would make neither of them happy in the long run.
Would be a small happiness to really be able to live together, but Henry has more and bigger goals to his life. After the puts all his research into writing he will desire to go do something else, and Talas wouldn't want to hinder his pursuits forcing him to stay hidden with her. I also think Henry wouldn't want to let Talas alone while he goes to work in the city. They didn't got together to shy away in a little cozy den afraid of the world.

Makes me think about Victorian Romance Emma.
In the end I got a bit disappointed by Emma's "feeble mindedness" and I can't imagine Talas behaving like Emma, she just seems much more strong and daring. Even if she feels in debt to Henry for "taking her" she will do everything she can to "repay" this debt.

I hope Mori senseis health is improving. She had a really bad year in 2023 and was hospitalized multiple times.

If she was able to publish a new regular chapter so soon after her surgery she is already ok.

Dex-chan lover
Oh, by the way, how many children will be conceived on that hunting lodge?
I forget, but isn't Henry committed to not "live in sin" with Talas? I seem to remember something like that. I'd expect them not to start pumping out babies until they are married proper.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for translating!
I really hope Mori-sensei is doing better.
I wonder if she'll dress up Talas as a Victorian gentlewoman. That'd be nice to see.

Users who are viewing this thread