Otoyomegatari

Aggregator gang
I'm glad Smith meet her again, but never forget, the husband is the real mvp here... It's teared my eyes...

jak

Contributor
Chapter 42 and 43 were a little weird for me.

It felt like it was more than her wanting to help a friend. It felt like she used her husband's kindness so she could keep her lesbian lover close or something. Like I wouldn't be surprised if he walked in on them one day in the middle of sex.

Dex-chan lover
After some years of feeling bad for Smith, a long last he can be happy,now i'm sort of ok with how amir and the others were when Smith told his problems, even so i'm still salty because they did the same "Went against what the father wished for".

The question I have now for chapter 69 is:
Did the pocket watch play a role in this development?

Dex-chan lover
Can't how that that watch can play any role is this.

Personally I did not like this "twist". It was too easy and convenient, and I fear that it'll only lead to drama e tragedy.

Group Leader
I don't know about the pocket watch, but I bet the guide will take Talas and Smith a lovely pic with the new camera.

Such a nice twist to me

I... kinda don't like this. It's a bit too convenient for a manga that wasn't afraid to be harsh with the reality of, well, reality. The failure of the romance was bittersweet and poignant, so to suddenly have a nice little happy ending neat as you please is kinda... out of place.
Also abrupt. Pariya's arc took the time to make it work. Although the next chapter or three might clarify this little development a bit better.

Gdi. I do hope the pocket watch will come into play to bringing the two together. And I hope anon-husband gets the happiness he deserves (must've really loved his late-wife).

Double-page supporter
Again with the names! Why is she "Talas" now, but was "Tarasu" in the earlier chapter? Like "Amira" becoming "Amir"?
I suppose transliteration from Turkic to Japanese to English can be tricky, but still we have only one translator here, who can maintain continuity from one issue to another, right?

Aah, well.
And so . . . What a singularly decent man! So admirable!

. . . and, finally: Am I the only one who thought that Pariya kind of had a thing for Mr. Smith, earlier on?

I really hope this is not a death flag looming around.

EDIT: I don't think Otoyomegatari is becoming less willing to portray the realistic struggles of romance. International marriage is some hard shit, even now, and I'm sure the mangaka will portray that well.

Aggregator gang
A lot and I mean A LOT of readers were unhappy with how the Talas/Smith arc played out and how it remained one of the least enjoyed story lines of the this series so I'm beginning to wonder if they author caved into a little pressure to bring her back which almost felt unlikely given how much time and other arcs have passed. Either way I was pleasantly surprised to see her return but at the same time, hope that she and Smith get another arc for better development.

Double-page supporter
@TheWanderer567, I have the same feeling. It certainly left a bad taste in my mouth initially but I could understand why it happened because it was a realistic portrayal of the struggles that pairing had. On the other hand the way Mori solved it last chapter feels, I don't know, too convenient. Regardless I'm sure we'll see more of them in the future.

The way I see it: maybe you, like me, expected Smith to "pick up" Talas while on the return trip. However, he left her long enough ago that she would be married by now anyway. So what happens? He's not going to just take her away and he's not going to kill the husband, either. That's not in his character. So advancing the plot in that direction is probably a bad idea. And anyway her stepfather is still there and he still wouldn't approve even if she was still single. So if Smith and Talas are to get together, it has to be away from her home... thus chapter 69.
I agree the twist might feel a bit forced, but I think it was the best way to give us a happy reunion. Of course we could argue that it's Mori's fault if she wrote herself into a corner plot-wise, but what the heck, I wanted a happy end too much to care... if it is indeed the end.

Fed-Kun's army
Talas is not a happy ending yet. I bet you her being along will help create additional interesting situations as he travels through a developing war zone. But man, her new husband was a saint whose attitude is humbling.

Loved the large illustrations of chapter 70. No plot totally compensated for by the beautiful diverse vignettes.

Double-page supporter
If Smith marries Talas, and intends to return to the village of the Eihon family, he must take a different route, to avoid her family. I am sure, though, that Ali knows many alternate routes, though.

Those boys will die of carbon monoxide poisoning, if they insist on hiding under the table with the charcoal.

The footprint patterns seem like something Pariya would do.

It's way past time for Karluk to come home, and stop neglecting his wife!

Users who are viewing this thread