Our Son Is Probably Gay - Vol. 5 Ch. 94 - Doubt

Dex-chan lover
the dad’s realistic casual shittiness makes me sort of laugh or grimace or cringe or something. It’s well-written in terms of keeping this cute manga from being TOO all-sunshine-and-rainbows, it’s nice that they’re trying to engage with and sort of incorporate, like, “normal bigots”. People who have a normal amount of shitty bigotry by the standard of their culture and generation.

I get what you mean by censoring the word, but I feel that a few folks don't have any idea what the particular word actually means (myself included). If you are censoring a word from a foreign language, it might be good to have notes explaining what that word actually means, at the least to feel the gravity that caused you to censor in the first place.

Dex-chan lover
I get what you mean by censoring the word, but I feel that a few folks don't have any idea what the particular word actually means (myself included). If you are censoring a word from a foreign language, it might be good to have notes explaining what that word actually means, at the least to feel the gravity that caused you to censor in the first place.
It's a term that refers to gender diverse feminine people, from what I know usually working in bars, and it generalizes GNC men, non-binary and trans women together, but I don't personally see it as an inherently offensive term, though I'm not part of that culture myself, so it's not for me to say

Dex-chan lover
It's a term that refers to gender diverse feminine people, from what I know usually working in bars, and it generalizes GNC men, non-binary and trans women together, but I don't personally see it as an inherently offensive term, though I'm not part of that culture myself, so it's not for me to say
iirc it did originally come with offensive connotations (though the exact origin is unknown, and may be portuguese or dutch import), but has been somewhat reclaimed and some use it to identify themselves, though by my understanding the ones using it for themselves are (usually gay) men who crossdress, but still identify as men (think drag queens).

Dex-chan lover
iirc it did originally come with offensive connotations (though the exact origin is unknown, and may be portuguese or dutch import), but has been somewhat reclaimed and some use it to identify themselves, though by my understanding the ones using it for themselves are (usually gay) men who crossdress, but still identify as men (think drag queens).
Most research I've done also include trans women into the role, though it's very ambiguous (which is probably cause japan still sees them as crossdressing men, especially no-op or pre-op women) for some media examples, there's a reocurring character in that job in some Yakuza games, in which she seems to be a trans woman [although they never explicitly use the term], and in AI: the somnium files, that character is non-binary, although still AMAB

Contributor
Censoring the word when it wasn't censored in the Japanese is fucking stupid. It's not your place.

Dex-chan lover
"Okama" itself isn't needed to be censored because it's basically not an english word, nor is it censored in its original language.
If you want to translate it, "Sissy" is pretty much a heteronormative word that is still considered insensitive, if not insulting, but not as bad as "f*g" (now this is I censored because it's an English cuss word).

Considering his Dad is pretty much ignorant about his son situation, it's not weird if he uses such word.

Users who are viewing this thread