Outsider Paradise - Vol. 2 Ch. 9 - We Don't Get Along

Dex-chan lover
I've been reading this for a while, and i just can't understand this manga.

I can't follow the story and what it's trying to tell. There's something weird with how the characters are drawn, they look unnatural for some reason. The tag says comedy and yet i'm not seeing any that is particularly funny, weird if at all (At least compared to the author's previous work)

I've read and watched a bit of Asobi Asobase, do I need to finish that first before reading this?

Dex-chan lover

I can't follow the story and what it's trying to tell. There's something weird with how the characters are drawn, they look unnatural for some reason. The tag says comedy and yet i'm not seeing any that is particularly funny, weird if at all (At least compared to the author's previous work)

I've read and watched a bit of Asobi Asobase, do I need to finish that first before reading this?
The latest volumes (I think the last 3) of Asobi Asobase are pretty much shared 50/50 with these girls, Asobi was more wacky and random comedy while this one is more slice of life and relationships, I think the author likes to imagine awkward and strange girls interacting about mundane topics.
As for the art, I think the author must be using clip studio paint that allows custom 3d models, so the poses,hair and proportions are super consistent and saves time, but of course the finishing touches must be made manually or else it wouldn't look like a manga.
It is a very niche manga but I really like the characters... Well, Miyu Miyu not so much lol
The author shared this an hour ago, https://x.com/R_Suzukawa/status/1794231379921883502 as you can see, the 3d models exist and they play around with them.
BTW in most school mangas these days, things like the classroom and buildings are also made by using 3d assets with effects and final touches on top

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
The latest volumes (I think the last 3) of Asobi Asobase are pretty much shared 50/50 with these girls, Asobi was more wacky and random comedy while this one is more slice of life and relationships, I think the author likes to imagine awkward and strange girls interacting about mundane topics.
As for the art, I think the author must be using clip studio paint that allows custom 3d models, so the poses,hair and proportions are super consistent and saves time, but of course the finishing touches must be made manually or else it wouldn't look like a manga.
It is a very niche manga but I really like the characters... Well, Miyu Miyu not so much lol
The author shared this an hour ago, https://x.com/R_Suzukawa/status/1794231379921883502 as you can see, the 3d models exist and they play around with them.
BTW in most school mangas these days, things like the classroom and buildings are also made by using 3d assets with effects and final touches on top
I never said it's wrong to use 3d models, be it for characters or background. Artists gotta do what they gotta do.

I'm just saying there's something weird with how the characters are drawn, and the link you shared just confirms it further. Author made 3d models by themselves and traced it, it shows.

Dex-chan lover
I never said it's wrong to use 3d models, be it for characters or background. Artists gotta do what they gotta do.

I'm just saying there's something weird with how the characters are drawn, and the link you shared just confirms it further. Author made 3d models by themselves and traced it, it shows.
Yeah. I enjoy the art in both this and Asobi, but I always thought there was something a bit off.

Outsider's paradise, when compared to Asobi Asobase, isn't nearly as random or comedy-focused, like @Serenata said. It's more of a slightly romantic and drama-based slice-of-life. Asobi Asobase got a bit weird by the end of it too, so I guess the author is more into that kinda vibes for now.

Dex-chan lover
Also, It really is a curious detail, Hermes calling Pen-Pen 'mom' and all. I wonder if it's just a random mistake the author added for realism, or if there is something more to it, like maybe Hermes' mom works with acupuncture and stuff.

Dex-chan lover

Asobi Asobase basically turns into a preview for this manga in the second half as this group gradually usurps the focus.

They're weird and unsettling people that do weird and unsettling - sometimes just downright gross - things. Definitely not played for laughs or exaggerated like it was for the Asobi Asobase trio (who conversely mellow out to be pretty normal).

If I had to theorize, the author was probably frustrated that he couldn't really do "serious" things with AA's setup (a newly formed friend group doing wacky reactions) and wanted to stealth retire it shortly after he introduced these characters (who have a more intimate history together and backgrounds to explore).

For full (but not entirely necessary) context, reading Asobi Asobase to the end is required, because the anime doesn't even cover up to the halfway point.

Dex-chan lover
Asobi Asobase basically turns into a preview for this manga in the second half as this group gradually usurps the focus.

They're weird and unsettling people that do weird and unsettling - sometimes just downright gross - things. Definitely not played for laughs or exaggerated like it was for the Asobi Asobase trio (who conversely mellow out to be pretty normal).

If I had to theorize, the author was probably frustrated that he couldn't really do "serious" things with AA's setup (a newly formed friend group doing wacky reactions) and wanted to stealth retire it shortly after he introduced these characters (who have a more intimate history together and backgrounds to explore).

For full (but not entirely necessary) context, reading Asobi Asobase to the end is required, because the anime doesn't even cover up to the halfway point.
Yeah. It's such a shame that Asobi Asobase turned into the strange mess it did by the end. The three girls were barely focused on as a group anymore, Kasumi especially was sort of thrown to the sideline, and the author started focusing more and more on this other group as time went on.

It's not that I don't like them, it's just that I feel like the original group sort of got abandoned.

I wish the author had just put Asobi Asobase on hiatus for a while and made a new series to focus on the other group, instead of stealth-retiring it.

Users who are viewing this thread