Overgeared - Ch. 53

@LeidXenos i finished solo leveling more than a year ago. it ends with a good note, yes. but the last 100 chapters is really really boring. mc get too strong too fast that everyone just become insignificant characters. The world was in threat and yet other characters are useless even if they are national treasure rank. S rank become really pathetic. mc doesn't have any allies that are useful to him other than his shadow army. it's a one dimensional character, one dimensional story. no depth at all. overgeared, ominiscient reader are far far better.

Fed-Kun's army
@sweat i'm 250 ish chapter into the omniscient readers viewpoint novel and trust me when i say this shit is god tier

@GeraltTheRivia That may be the case but it needed to be focused on him based on the design of the story, not only that but even Overgeared has some rather lackluster parts that just drag on a bit. I don't exactly remember any dull moments from Solo Levelling. On another note I don't even mention Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint lol. It is good granted but I kind of just dropped it after a while because I forgot about it or it could have just been because it was on qidian. Also he needed only his shadow army, no one could get close to where they needed to be at his level. Solo Levelling spoilers:
The shadow army needed to be designed the way it was designed. Humans were capped at how far they could advance and the monsters he faced were too strong for the people at S rank to even take care of. You remember jeju island right? IT was at that point the reader should have noticed that the hunters of the world at S rank, despite their varying internal ranks, were not capable of completely taking care of the mobs. If you wanted him to have allies that could take care of his back then he needed to go to America but even America proved to be troublesome because of a hunter I forget the name of and even then they could not do anything. There's also the fact that the people that were used as catalyst to bring in the gods or w.e from another world took over their hosts and with the MC he was also someone that was to be a host. He's OP AF but he was not turned into a host. If he was then the world would be over already, nothing big would happen.
Like it becomes more obvious how things play out but the story does not start out like so. Overgeared has it's good parts and it has it's bad parts like all light novels do. The story does not need some complicated twist to not be enjoyable or to be considered outstanding. It has some simple things that makes it great that even Overgeared has. Like there was a solid dry spell on Overgeared for a while as it was being updated a year ago or something like that. Grid's internal development is one of the best that I've seen and there are some insanely touching scenes but that's because there are more chapters. The problem here is that not all novels need to be long and making a long novel does not necessarily equate to being good. Now while Solo Levelling only had 270 chapters, it has been a really good read and ride. Overgeared right now is pretty exciting and waiting for each chapter has been enjoyable. I had the same feeling with Solo Levelling but the webtoon does not exactly give me the same feeling. Overgeared at the end of the day it's just about a guy that wants to improve and is playing a game. It could also be because some people are projecting into this light novel but it's not some godsend light novel.

@LeidXenos for me, ever since he becomes stronger than anyone everything has become so dull. compared to other novels like overgeared and omniscient reader, solo leveling start really strong but never develop any further than that. of course i also read something like tensei shitara slime data ken and overlord, so i tend to compare them. the similarity between them is they are all op. but at least, the other have interesting side characters that develop along with mc. solo leveling only have shadow army that doesn't have any personalities. overgeared and omniscient reader doesn't blow up like solo leveling because they start pretty slow but they are far more develop in stories and the characters aside from the mc.

@GeraltTheRivia I never denied that, all I stated was that it was by the author's design so if anything compare it to another one just like it. Except there's not another one just like it. He ramps up and he ends up having to be the solution to literally everything. He needs to rely only on himself whiles other novels show that they need to start relying on other people. This novel never showed that he needed to rely on other people except for a select few points. If anything I would say it more similar to something like Second Coming of Gluttony where he has to essentially rely on himself or something else of the sorts. The ones you've listed state character growing from an asshole that has nothing to rely on but himself to someone that starts to show compassion towards other people and becomes a more empathetic person. The MC of Solo Levelling is a caring person to begin with and based on what power he had been given he needs to decide how to utilize it in order to become someone that people can rely on. It's focusing more on his internal development and you start to see into his psyche of how he thinks. That may seem dull to you but it's rather interesting how he decides to take the world upon his shoulders because no one else can. He doesn't run from it nor can he rely on other people because they would just evaporate from the sheer pressure of his future battles. This type of novel is not something I would compare to Overgeared as that is more of a redemption arc MC that becomes a better person as time goes on. Solo Levelling is not about friendship and becoming stronger through the power of all but rather relying on yourself because you can only rely on yourself. This may be an extreme definition as it's been like 2 years since I finished it or so but I don't think you should compare this novel to Overlord, Slime Tensei, Shield Hero, or anything similar to them. Those ones require the MC to rely on the people around him. You might say that the MC of Solo Levelling has his shadow summons but those aren't designed that way. If you wanted something that's about friendship and growing stronger together then Solo Levelling is most definitely not that.

@LeidXenos story relying on yourself is of course not bad, but that's where it's lack in term of stories. Lack of depth in other characters. I mean even the mc lack depth. It's pretty much get stronger. Protect people he cared about. Face the final battle. Become someone people can rely on? what a joke. he only become stronger because he can and because he wants to take revenge on the dungeon boss. He doesn't care much about other people except people he close with. Second Coming of Gluttony is another novel that i would put even above solo leveling since it has so many interesting characters that grew over the course of the story. I would compare solo leveling to something like Everyone Else is a Returnee. But i gave up on that because it's focusing too much on the mc getting stronger. The reason i manage to finish SL is only because it was a short novel. I don't need something about friendship or growing stronger together but at least the other characters should have some interesting story to them that will somehow collide with mc's interest or something.
Let's see, his mother and his sister become insignificant after he saved them.
His father, well, that was disappointed.
National treasure hunters, hyped but useless.
Demons he side with in the dungeon, insignificant and forgotten after he cleared the dungeon.
Yoo jin ho, doesn't even grow and not even a comic relief.
Cha Hae In, S ranker but become damsel in distress and totally useless afterward.
etc.

@GeraltTheRivia Cool, still doesn't change the fact that you should not even compare it to other novel that are of a different writing style. Also it's a short novel, did you expect it to become something extremely fleshed out? We also already know how it plays out so it's not meant to be some godsend either but it doesn't change that it still is an enjoyable story for people. Even the ones that do expand further in their "stories" end up just being repetitions and get boring and pointless even as they add "Character development" to side characters. Some of them even go as far as a thousand or more chapters but are still boring. At least with Solo Levelling you get a peak to the genre and see if it's enticing. In this genre of novels it's quite exceptional solely because it ends fairly quick and it does not drag on to the point of the story becoming redundant and pointless. You get an ending that is enjoyable and an MC that tells you that sometimes all you have is yourself because not everyone can see to the goal you have in mind, which is quite egocentric and not exactly a good moral to read into but there's probably other morals in there that you can dig into if you so desired. It being by itself is good enough but it's not amazing. If you think I'm thinking this is an outstanding and godsend of a light novel then you're sorely mistaken and are dragging this conversation longer than it needs to be. I'm not disagreeing that it's not something godsend but it is an enjoyable read to the point that you've even finished reading the light novel itself to give your opinion and even critique it. Also it would be preferable if you put spoilers on the last bit of your statement in case anyone reading this does not know of the plot line but it's probably pointless since it seems quite obvious how it would play out based on the power levels of his subordinates. Also I do not remember in any particular scene that she is a
damsel in distress
but maybe that's in the epilogue but even there it's not even something that seems explicitly so. If anything she's
supporting cast that is trying to be of assistance but knows that it's not their battle and that helping would only put him in a bad spot. That's not exactly damsel in distress but rather a character in a story that shows that sometimes helping someone won't help but rather could be detrimental to their success.
. Overall, Solo Levelling is not a godsend, neither is Overgeared(as this was what this conversation was originally about in case you forgot). They're both good in their perspective genres/subgenres. If anything they're both like a solid 7.5/10 currently. If we only look at character development then Overgeared is a solid 8/10 while Solo Levelling is just a 6/10 because he essentially stays the same after a certain arc. They show great emotional quotient and are both exceptional characters but their stories aren't outstanding. Overgeared is great in certain aspects when it comes to expressing empathy from Grid while MC of Solo Levelling start to become more cold and callous but under a heart of ice he's warm and caring. Showing that a man should be hard to brave the world outside but have the heart and room to care about those close to him and to treat them right. These are both novel targeting a younger demographic and should not be considered as having an in depth story that would enthrall the masses but instead should just be enjoyed as what they are, a fairytale with a happy ending, probably since we don't know if or when Overgeared will end.

@LeidXenos It's enjoyable at the start and have ok ending. But at the halfway towards almost the end, it's pretty boring and disappointing. And people say it is as good as overgeared, i have to disagree though. Maybe almost but not really. The webtoon/manhwa, i will 100% recommend it but i will never recommend people to start reading the novel. They should invest on the novels that have better development. But of course, like you said it probably target younger demo and certain people. For people who want simple story, yes. And for me, who have read a fair share of wn/ln, i can't help to compare them. Sorry for the rant, i'm not saying it's not a good story it's just i probably expected more when i started reading the novel after reading the webtoon. Peace out.

@GeraltTheRivia I too have read a lot of WN/LN and so I understand the desire to compare other novels but there's point in comparing novels unless the writing style is similar or if the genre is the same. I also picked it up again after reading some of the webtoon because I was peeved at it being on qidian so I never picked it up again until after I read some of the webtoon. Also the webtoon is rather faithful to the novel so the translation from LN to webtoon is bound to be 1:1 or close to that. Anyways, it has been fun conversing with you and I respect your opinion. Take care and have a good one.

The moment I look in the comment section, I see walls of text. Sheesh, just take em to the dms or something

Man, you all should just srop fighting over which is better. Its bloody useless I tell you, they arent even made by the same author.

Let's discuss overgeared in overgeared chapter forum.

It's good that the guild leader, smithing and money distract him from his former crush...

Users who are viewing this thread