Overgeared - Ch. 69

@Danila Because it's probably referring to Theodore Roosevelt also known as Teddy Roosevelt.

Edit:
@personal852 @Kshatria You guys must not be aware, but unlike NK Chinese citizens do have a "choice" of following the BS their government puts out. They even get rewarded for doing so including selling out each other for "points" for having a "better life." For example, most Chinese believe the BS that Taiwan is not a separate country and that it is part of China, literally calling for it's invasion/oppression like Hong Kong. You even have other important figures defending China like Jackie Chan.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxqkn5/heres-why-jackie-chan-is-really-unpopular-in-hong-kong

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/01/10/the-anti-americanism-of-jackie-chan

Sure they might be forced to accept it but unlike North Koreans they know the truth.

Double-page supporter
@Alekhzandr

Yep. Carrot and stick. "Act up and we'll disappear you. Do what we want, and get benefits." Meanwhile they're taking over the world economy and its corporatist politicians.

Fuck China. Don't trust China, China is asshoe.

Dex-chan lover
A summoner that holds a teddy bear and summons giant bears. Fun fact: the Author is a fan of "League of Legends". Doran's ring, and A top ranking assassin named Faker are some other references.

Holy See is the administrative body of Vatican with the Pope as its head. Vatican is only its territory, a physical land that makes the Church independent from any states. The states in the world have diplomatic relations with the Holy See, not Vatican, because Holy See is the administrative body, meanwhile Vatican is only the physical land. But all of these are part of the Roman Catholic Church, where it is also connected with grassroots church everywhere in the world.

Fed-Kun's army
Thx for the chapter ! A friendly advice, continue using Grid, it's easier to identify between Greed(his name) greed(the sin) and Greed(
the metal he does later on
). Using Grid is not detrimental as anyone can understand that his name means greed any way and it's less confusing for now and later when Greed and greed shows up more in conversations.

@Alekhzandr
I don't have much knowledge about China to continue this conversation but, isn't it precisely because they are rewarded when they follow the doctrines of their government? And about the unwillingness to do any good despite knowing the truth, I'm sure they have their own version of truth where things are painted differently so it could benefit them rather than Taiwan or US. So, my point is that, brainwashing and early childhood experiences are so powerful that I'm reluctant to blame every single Chinese citizen for the doings of their government.

And in the first place, I was not trying to invoke any political matters—although I don't approve the oppression of Taiwan either—when I was discussing about the author's writing. I don't know whether you read the LN or not, but if you did, you'd recognize the overarching theme of the novel; patriotism. There are many characters with different nationalities and the author describes them as foreign authorities that don't approve Korea. MC, with his plot armor, beats everyone and Koreans are described as deifying MC, literally calling him 'God Grid'. That's patriotism. The love of one's country. And patriotism is alright—until it's not.

On top of patriotism, there are China and Japan that the author depicted very similarly. Their media and people are described as nationalists who would do just about anything to crush Korea. They are written as such simpletons for the purpose of promoting MC, and the greatness of Korea, ultimately. Change the color of the flag and now it's Russians bullying ethnically Koreans living in Russia—described as being racists. All of these as a cost of promoting MC, Korea. I felt that it's a bit excessive form of patriotism—thus, patriotism bordering nationalism at times.

I really enjoyed the adventure stories of MC but, it's just the pot calling the kettle black. The way the author didn't shy away from describing other nationalities as nationalists while fueling his nationalistic view didn't sit right with me.

I would much rather his name stay Grid. Greed seemed like it was a mistake Damian made.

And eventually, Greed
becomes the name of a material Grid uses so it'll get much more confusing if it's not properly solved here.

Users who are viewing this thread