Overlord - Ch. 74

Dex-chan lover
Cotdammit Elizabeth. The manga is just FUCKING ACING this arc. The raw despair and dread on everyone's faces. Nimble's internal monologue about Ainz. Almost everything in this is spot on.

As always, thanks for the TL!

Dex-chan lover
Thank u always for ur great work...
^^...

Then, is it just me that got the feeling that this chapter didnt capture the goats sheer size correctly like the anime one?
?.?...

This chapter certainly delivered. Good Lord, I love this story in all its forms, LN, Anime, and Manga.

Yep. People die when they're killed, and that's how it should be. You don't like it? Deal with it. That's reality.

Group Leader
@Graviity While i am thankful for the translation... holy fuck, your GIF credit page is 50MB big, thats more than the entire chapter!
Can you please stick to the previous static one? This kills bandwidth.
Not defending the size of the GIF but the file format is terrible for compression while attempting to maintain quality. It would be much more efficient to present animated content with higher quality in other file formats such as .mp4 or .webm, but MangaDex doesn't allow those formats. It does look like somebody (maybe staff?) has already compressed the GIF to 8MB though.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
I'm in agreement that the gif was quite a hassle to view during my lunch break since I don't have good connection where I work. Since the gif doesn't even load partially the way a regular image does, I had no idea that that was what was loading for 2 years when I could have skipped right past it to keep reading. At the very least, save your cool gif for the end of the chapter.

Still, thanks very much for the chapter, looks of despair go so well with matching inner monologues.

Dex-chan lover
I have been waiting for this chapter for actual years. I am not disappointed. Rejoice, everyone. Rejoice.

I feel like this is a great point in character development for Ainz -- rather, Momonga. Everything he has done before now while sometimes cold or calculating (very vicariously through Demiurge and their ilk,) his humanity has always still remained something that we can see behind the mask, even if the systems are doing a great job at keeping his emotions locked away. This is such a big moment for him, almost entirely unshackled by who he was, just offed 70,000 people on a whim, and then sent his cute baby goats upon those that remained. I've always felt this moment was when he really did become Ainz.

Last edited:
Contributor
Not defending the size of the GIF but the file format is terrible for compression while attempting to maintain quality. It would be much more efficient to present animated content with higher quality in other file formats such as .mp4 or .webm, but MangaDex doesn't allow those formats. It does look like somebody (maybe staff?) has already compressed the GIF to 8MB though.
We discussed this with few other folks in the Discord.
MD cant (wont) allow .mp4, to avoid full movies being uploaded to MD.
For the credits page - according to the folks, it was not compressed at all and straight out of a video file.
Looking at the current modified version, its at 10fps. The GIF is 16.7s long, with 10 seconds of still frames.
There is room for improvement for sure. Perhaps a different version of the credits page for your site and for MD?

Dex-chan lover
The Dark Youngs rising from the blood of the dead and the sheer terror in the faces of the knights are so nicely drawn ngl

This chapter had 3 whole 2-page spreads just to showcase how massive and terrifying these things are, I dig that

Dex-chan lover
holy fuck. i got chills when i watched the anime but the manga gave me a new and unique chilly feeling too. it's like witnessing it again for the first time and it's making me happy

Dex-chan lover
:pepehmm: Somehow I feel like in the real game they are just for show and not as effective an attack. Though he said they are level 90 monsters. But the game getting shut down and having p2w gacha reminds me of our buddy nexon kun, and I have played at least one nexon game where cosmetic items add to your "power level", but not directly effective

Just wanted to slander nexon a bit
Nexon slander is always welcome in my book!

Users who are viewing this thread