Overlord - Ch. 76

Dex-chan lover
It showcases even further how strong Ainz is to the entire world by winning a 1v1 with the strongest human warrior in a close quarter combat against a spellcaster who is at a disadvantage, it showed to the two characters that Ainz is more human and reasonable than it seems (very important for a much MUCH later event), it motivated Brain to reach the realm of Heroes that was never reached before as a normal human, it stopped further killings at the time not only by stopping Ainz from advancing but to make the King accept defeat instead of "hope for more" and getting more of his men killed, it tells to the reader once more who Gazeff is and how much of a warrior he is etc.

This duel was very important for the LN, so all I can tell by your behavior is that you're absolutely no paying attention to what everything means besides "character dies".
Ainz already slaughtered a big part of their army with a single spell, I don’t think there’s much need to show off more.

The fact that he’s more human than what is seems was shown without the need to die. Honestly he could have accepted being resurrected after the duel to show this point off even more if it was so important.

Back to first paragraph, the king and everyone there ran as fast the could, they saw it was pointless after seeing the devastation that was caused. A kingdom that would want to continue anything after having royalty and nobles witnessing that would be doomed either way from stupidity.

Maybe it was important in the LN, but this isn’t LN so it’s kinda irrelevant. Here I see very little reason on why his death is necessary to accomplish any of this.

At this exact moment? It stopped the further slaughter of the kingdom’s army. Had he not challenged Ainz, he would have just walked away and had the goats continue to murder everyone.
He could also achieve the same thing if he accepted his offer to be serve Ains. Luckily for him, Ains didn't pursue anymore after the "duel".

Dex-chan lover
Here we see a fool throwing away his life for nothing.
Will be did it to keep his word intact and also I assume to keep the other two alive. I suspect maybe his line of thinking as well may give them both some clue to defeating him.

Dex-chan lover

You have to remember that during this entire chapter, while they are talking, all the "goats" summoned are in pause.

How many more people escaped do you think? For every second they spent talking to Ains, that's one extra second to run on horses.

Also by making the other 2 "witnesses" to the duel, it means that if Ains has any honour, he can't kill those 2 until the role of "witness" is over.

And lastly, Stronoff is using his own death to calm the grudges of the people, overall it's the best strategic death he can think of.

He did spend an ENTIRE CHAPTER's worth of time stalling, and that's how anyone survived from these "goats".

Dex-chan lover
Time STOP!!!!!

Subaru, Tanya, and Aqua casually moving around in the frozen space

Dex-chan lover
Sure is great for morale to have their strongest fighter killed. What did getting himself killed achieve at this moment?
Gazef know well that he can't win. He's taking advantage of Ainz' nature to prevent himself (or his equipment) from falling into Ainz's hands, while simultaneously attempting to give Climb and Brain something, any possible hint towards how they could defeat Ainz in the future by keeping them out of their battle, yet allowing them to watch.

He can't do anything, but at the same time he managed to do something, however small, for the sake of his kingdom.

Nah, I still don't understand why did he choose to die and not even want a chance to resurrect. He already stopped the chase by issuing the duel and also saved the 2 as witness. Other than that, he wants to appease people's anger by having the royal family lost their strongest knight? So you are saying that the people will feel better if the strongest knight is not there to support their kingdom anymore?
I don't read the LN but at this point in the manga, how would he even know that his death would make a strongest human if that is your point.
kinda weird, just saying.

Dex-chan lover
vvLPKpz.png

There's a lot of deep seated politics in this story that most isekai readers just shrug off in favor of power level shenanigans.

Dex-chan lover
You have to remember that during this entire chapter, while they are talking, all the "goats" summoned are in pause.

How many more people escaped do you think? For every second they spent talking to Ains, that's one extra second to run on horses.

Also by making the other 2 "witnesses" to the duel, it means that if Ains has any honour, he can't kill those 2 until the role of "witness" is over.

And lastly, Stronoff is using his own death to calm the grudges of the people, overall it's the best strategic death he can think of.

He did spend an ENTIRE CHAPTER's worth of time stalling, and that's how anyone survived from these "goats".
Yeah he did that, but his death didn’t cause any stalling. He didn’t need to permanently die in the duel, Ainz even told him that much.

Also why would the people stop having a grudge over the royalty/nobles because of his death? Oh their decision caused the death of all the men in our family, but did you hear that the commoner knight that we all love Gazef also died? Guess that makes everything alright!

Everyone keeps talking about the deep politics going on that’s barely being shown. All I can see is the noble faction being able to take advantage over this royal failure, and even more so because of Gazefs death.

Dex-chan lover
ainz actually respects him and the sacrifice he's making. even more so because he's not going to be revived.

that said, if you say you're going to duel, you could at least pretend to try without time magic, which you know no one around can use
The common phrase would be, "a lion uses all its strength to even hunt a rabbit."

Ainz respected him by not holding back.

Dex-chan lover
Gazef showed his brilliance here by choosing the absolute best course of action for the sake of humanity and the Kingdom (in his opinion).
Gazef, who didn't have much to gamble with except his own life and Ainz's honour/respect for him.

What did Gazef gain from gambling his life?
  1. Delayed Ainz and the Goats, saving thousand of peasants and buying time for the King to retreat.
  2. Gained the Royal Faction some support politically.
  3. Saved Brain and Climb.
  4. Allowed Brain and Climb to potentially witness some sort of weakness within Ainz's defences.
  5. Sent the message to the nobles that Ains was not just some schmuck, but an actual world-ending threat.
  6. Saved the National Treasures (armour + sword) from falling into enemy hands.
All that, for just one human life.

Against a being that reaches into the realm of the gods, one human life was worth nothing.
Yet, Gazef managed to make it count for something.

Dex-chan lover
its not really for nothing, sure its kinda BM for him to do it, but for me, i think he did this to show Brian and Climb the witnesses of the 1v1 how much of a gap, a Galactical Gap they are to Ainz. if i remember no one survived the "Tomb Raid" the Empire only knew that everyone who went in ( even the ones that just on the outside as well ), never made it back and assumed that they are most likely dead. they didnt know who, what, and how it happened at the time, all they know that they are dead ( since they never came back. )

( but didnt ainz send the twins on the empire to send a message? ) yep, he did, but its only the empire, not the kingdom. Sure jivnic, paradine and everyone else who stood infront of him when they visited the tomb, knows A BIT of his power, but not all of it.

( but didnt Stronofff knows he strong as shit? ) yup, but even when he told them ( the nobles of the kingdom ) that he strong as hell and this is a BM going against Ainz, he got called a pussy and no one sorta believe him.

If we put ourselves in the perspective of the Empire and Kingdom. the Empire, ( the only country as of this moment, that knows an extent of his power ) they witnessed that Ainz can command these death knights and ancient class demons like nothing. but thats it, he didnt show em magic except when making the death knight infront of em and at the start of the war. he didnt show his absolute best. ( the Ainz and Shaltear fight is a different matter, as far as i know, no country that has been introduced witnessed it as for this moment )

the Kingdom on the other hand ONLY Stronofff knows how much of a threat Ainz is, the Kingdom as whole dont know Ainz at all, and like i said before even when Stronoff told them ( the nobles in the meeting ) they didnt believe him. ( I forgot Brian clashed with Shalltear as well, but he doesnt know if she is connected to Ainz at all, all that Brian knows that she is a separate entity to Ainz and not a comrade. )

[ But arent you forgetting Ainz sent the whole Armada on the lizard men to make a show and threaten them? surely the Kingdom or the Empire knows now how much of a monster Ainz is. ] No they dont, there is no excerpt that i know of, that the Empire nor Kingdom knows a whole f-ing Armada of Ancient Horrors came to a swampy marsh of lizard folks.

so i believe he did this, and made Brian and Climb the witnesses to this 1v1 to show and tell everyone that Ainz is strong as hell, that on top of commanding these adorable baby goats even without that magic he can still be a monster in melee combat (remember that Stronoff is a popular dude since hes the champion of a certain contest where Brian went second place and a significant war deterrent as well ) so if a Warrior/Knight Captain like him, the right hand of The King of Re'Estize Kingdom died not landing a single blow, Nay, not even finishing a single swing, died in one touch in a 1v1 between a SORCERER vs a WARRIOR ( i will emphasize again that they dont know what happened on the Tomb Raid, they dont know that melee combat doesnt work on ainz, well not on anyones current level at least ) He did this for everyone involve or will be involve that even for a "strong" dude like him cant even put a dent on Ainz, theyll have a massive problem on their hands. so if they wanna save their territories they have to play nice with each other, and in turn if we play the scenario forward will make the world unionize to stop Ainz.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
I’m sure that did much good for them.
Ngl he stopped ainz from killing the king, and tried to gain information on ainz the other two could bring back to possibly defeat him. Sadly ainz being ainz inadvertently made the second part invalid because bro literally stopped time. Third this was a legitimate tactic on certain cultures trail of single combat even better that it was the enemy leader.

Dex-chan lover
Ngl he stopped ainz from killing the king, and tried to gain information on ainz the other two could bring back to possibly defeat him. Sadly ainz being ainz inadvertently made the second part invalid because bro literally stopped time. Third this was a legitimate tactic on certain cultures trail of single combat even better that it was the enemy leader.
He had already stopped Ainz at this point, there wasn’t a need for him to permanently die after the duel. Ainz even told him that he would make sure that he could be resurrected after the duel but Gazef rejected that offer.

Dex-chan lover
its not really for nothing, sure its kinda BM for him to do it, but for me, i think he did this to show Brian and Climb the witnesses of the 1v1 how much of a gap, a Galactical Gap they are to Ainz. if i remember no one survived the "Tomb Raid" the Empire only knew that everyone who went in ( even the ones that just on the outside as well ), never made it back and assumed that they are most likely dead. they didnt know who, what, and how it happened at the time, all they know that they are dead ( since they never came back. )

( but didnt ainz send the twins on the empire to send a message? ) yep, he did, but its only the empire, not the kingdom. Sure jivnic, paradine and everyone else who stood infront of him when they visited the tomb, knows A BIT of his power, but not all of it.

( but didnt Stronofff knows he strong as shit? ) yup, but even when he told them ( the nobles of the kingdom ) that he strong as hell and this is a BM going against Ainz, he got called a pussy and no one sorta believe him.

If we put ourselves in the perspective of the Empire and Kingdom. the Empire, ( the only country as of this moment, that knows an extent of his power ) they witnessed that Ainz can command these death knights and ancient class demons like nothing. but thats it, he didnt show em magic except when making the death knight infront of em and at the start of the war. he didnt show his absolute best. ( the Ainz and Shaltear fight is a different matter, as far as i know, no country that has been introduced witnessed it as for this moment )

the Kingdom on the other hand ONLY Stronofff knows how much of a threat Ainz is, the Kingdom as whole dont know Ainz at all, and like i said before even when Stronoff told them ( the nobles in the meeting ) they didnt believe him. ( I forgot Brian clashed with Shalltear as well, but he doesnt know if she is connected to Ainz at all, all that Brian knows that she is a separate entity to Ainz and not a comrade. )

[ But arent you forgetting Ainz sent the whole Armada on the lizard men to make a show and threaten them? surely the Kingdom or the Empire knows now how much of a monster Ainz is. ] No they dont, there is no excerpt that i know of, that the Empire nor Kingdom knows a whole f-ing Armada of Ancient Horrors came to a swampy marsh of lizard folks.

so i believe he did this, and made Brian and Climb the witnesses to this 1v1 to show and tell everyone that Ainz is strong as hell, that on top of commanding these adorable baby goats even without that magic he can still be a monster in melee combat (remember that Stronoff is a popular dude since hes the champion of a certain contest where Brian went second place and a significant war deterrent as well ) so if a Warrior/Knight Captain like him, the right hand of The King of Re'Estize Kingdom died not landing a single blow, Nay, not even finishing a single swing, died in one touch in a 1v1 between a SORCERER vs a WARRIOR ( i will emphasize again that they dont know what happened on the Tomb Raid, they dont know that melee combat doesnt work on ainz, well not on anyones current level at least ) He did this for everyone involve or will be involve that even for a "strong" dude like him cant even put a dent on Ainz, theyll have a massive problem on their hands. so if they wanna save their territories they have to play nice with each other, and in turn if we play the scenario forward will make the world unionize to stop Ainz.
A lot of words, but honestly all of this is irrelevant when it comes to showing Ainz power when he nuked their army with thousands of dead in a single attack which instantly made them retreat. He gave them a performance showing that he single handed could win this war.

Sure for some reason Gazef might wanna show if his 1v1 ability, but there wasn’t a need for him to stay dead after that. But Gazef decided he wanted to stay dead without helping them out in the future.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah he did that, but his death didn’t cause any stalling. He didn’t need to permanently die in the duel, Ainz even told him that much.

Also why would the people stop having a grudge over the royalty/nobles because of his death? Oh their decision caused the death of all the men in our family, but did you hear that the commoner knight that we all love Gazef also died? Guess that makes everything alright!

Everyone keeps talking about the deep politics going on that’s barely being shown. All I can see is the noble faction being able to take advantage over this royal failure, and even more so because of Gazefs death.

His permanent death means "We tried everything".

Stronoff said it will calm the "grudges of the people", I don't know about the nobles, but it's like the army tried so hard that even the top warrior precious to the country has been lost, this war is justified as "we tried our best".

Making it permanent adds to "how merciless Ainz is" to the rest of the survivors.

Dex-chan lover
His permanent death means "We tried everything".

Stronoff said it will calm the "grudges of the people", I don't know about the nobles, but it's like the army tried so hard that even the top warrior precious to the country has been lost, this war is justified as "we tried our best".

Making it permanent adds to "how merciless Ainz is" to the rest of the survivors.
It’s interesting so see how different his death is being interpreted. Some say that showing of the duel and dying is showing how “human” Ainz is so he can be reasoned with, while here it’s how “merciless” he is.

Honestly what grudges would end just because their top warrior died? Would the families that lost their men lose their grudges just because Stronoff also died? I have a hard time believing the people would have a change of opinion of this only because of his death.

Though I don’t think most would consider death not to be permanent except for the top of the cream. It’s not like resurrection is common. So Ainz already showing of his ruthlessness with his opening spell should be obvious enough.

Dex-chan lover
Even though I kind of understand Gazef's reasonings, I'd still prefer being the guarantor of lives of my people over the sake of the Kingdom and the dynasty well-being (even if it'd mean me becoming an undead).

Users who are viewing this thread