Overlord - Ch. 76

Dex-chan lover
It’s interesting so see how different his death is being interpreted. Some say that showing of the duel and dying is showing how “human” Ainz is so he can be reasoned with, while here it’s how “merciless” he is.

Honestly what grudges would end just because their top warrior died? Would the families that lost their men lose their grudges just because Stronoff also died? I have a hard time believing the people would have a change of opinion of this only because of his death.

Though I don’t think most would consider death not to be permanent except for the top of the cream. It’s not like resurrection is common. So Ainz already showing of his ruthlessness with his opening spell should be obvious enough.
It's about getting leverage.

Having Gazef revived would just make people angry because the Royal faction didn't actually lose him.
Gazef permanently dead would not only show how strong Ainz is that he can block Revival Magic, but also use his inevitable death as a way to prop up the Royal faction.

The point about the grudges is summed up as: "You lose, I lose, therefore we are both equal."

Dex-chan lover
Even though I kind of understand Gazef's reasonings, I'd still prefer being the guarantor of lives of my people over the sake of the Kingdom and the dynasty well-being (even if it'd mean me becoming an undead).
The funny part is that Gazef wouldn't even be turned into an undead.
Ainz is a collector of unique things, and Gazef is unique as he is.
Unless Gazef asks to be turned, I doubt Ainz will do it without his consent.

More likely than not, Ainz wanted to use him to test if his undead army can learn Martial skills.

Dex-chan lover
The common phrase would be, "a lion uses all its strength to even hunt a rabbit."

Ainz respected him by not holding back.
there's 'not holding back' and there's outright cheating. didn't he not use time magic against shalltear (or did she have a countermeasure)?

also, you can see what his actual fighting would be like in the shalltear fight.

all that said, it makes it even more of a show for the kingdom to have gazef die in a literal instant. no one could ever hope to defeat ainz, etc

Double-page supporter
Sure is great for morale to have their strongest fighter killed. What did getting himself killed achieve at this moment?
That's one of the reasons, why it was a great decision/sacrifice, and not foolish. They don't need morale now, but a sober assessment of reality. Gazeff is well know to be the strongest they have. A lot of people (many of them actual fools with political clout) who weren't present at that battle, won't understand what happened there easily. Gazeff knows the sort of fools they are. They may believe the reports are greatly exaggerated, "there must have been some devious trap", etc... whatever is more convenient for a fool to believe.

And you already saw it, how lightly they took this threat before, despite the information they had of him casually killing an elite army equipped with so many angels while taking no injury himself - yet how seriously did they take that report? But at least they will know that their strongest died in a duel, which a simple and easy to understand fact.

If he was still alive, he may become a beacon of hope, but that's not always a good thing, especially in the current situation. That beacon of (false) hope can be a beacon of calls for revenge too, a reason to not accept your defeat. Because he is dead, there will be far less of that, and more accepting of the reality of their situation.

Of course as others mentioned, there where other benefits, such as stalling for time to retreat. This is a man who died willingly for his country, to minimize the damage to it as much as possible. There was no more effective means available to him than this, to lose his own life in this place. He did very well, with only a single life.

Dex-chan lover
That's one of the reasons, why it was a great decision/sacrifice, and not foolish. They don't need morale now, but a sober assessment of reality. Gazeff is well know to be the strongest they have. A lot of people (many of them actual fools with political clout) who weren't present at that battle, won't understand what happened there easily. Gazeff knows the sort of fools they are. They may believe the reports are greatly exaggerated, "there must have been some devious trap", etc... whatever is more convenient for a fool to believe.

And you already saw it, how lightly they took this threat before, despite the information they had of him casually killing an elite army equipped with so many angels while taking no injury himself - yet how seriously did they take that report? But at least they will know that their strongest died in a duel, which a simple and easy to understand fact.

If he was still alive, he may become a beacon of hope, but that's not always a good thing, especially in the current situation. That beacon of (false) hope can be a beacon of calls for revenge too, a reason to not accept your defeat. Because he is dead, there will be far less of that, and more accepting of the reality of their situation.

Of course as others mentioned, there where other benefits, such as stalling for time to retreat. This is a man who died willingly for his country, to minimize the damage to it as much as possible. There was no more effective means available to him than this, to lose his own life in this place. He did very well, with only a single life.
I’ve already mentioned this several times so I’ll make it short.

They had already lost all morale after Ainz single spell that forced them to retreat in panic.

Regarding devious trap thing, how would that make a difference with Gazef’s death? If they can claim Ainz utter destruction or their army was a trap, then why wouldn’t the duel with Gazef be a trap? It doesn’t make a difference to those people whatever Gazef dies or not.

Of course they take the fact about him defeating an Angel army lightly, no one saw him do that. There’s no one except Gazef that can testify that they actually did exist to begin with.

Gazef returning dead would ruin the possibility of him being some kind of hope, and being resurrected wouldn’t change this as he already failed.

He already did stall for time with the duel, but his death didn’t give them more time.

You have to remember that Gazef has the option of resurrection on the table open for him, which he threw away. If this option wasn’t available it would be different, but with Ainz even suggesting he let him be resurrected by Gazef’s people later and that being rejected is what makes his death meaningless.

Double-page supporter
there's 'not holding back' and there's outright cheating. didn't he not use time magic against shalltear (or did she have a countermeasure)?

also, you can see what his actual fighting would be like in the shalltear fight.

all that said, it makes it even more of a show for the kingdom to have gazef die in a literal instant. no one could ever hope to defeat ainz, etc
i couldn't find anything shown about it -- it might have been mentioned in the novel. the wiki does mention he can't effectively use Time Stop against Shalltear...

...but if you think about it, Shalltear is one of the first lines of defense against player invasion of Nazarick, and Ainz mentioned that countermeasures against time stop is a necessity in PvP by the time you hit level 70, so it's probably safe to assume that most, if not all, of Nazarick guardians have time stop countermeasures.

Dex-chan lover
I think this is fair for both fighters.

Gazef challenge Ainz in PvP even though Ainz warn him multiple times.

A level 30+ vs level 100. you can see the clear winner but for Gazef, he just save few other people that still running away.

Also, having Gazef died will truly shows the Kingdom and surrounding nations about the strength of Nazarik. Instead of just hear that Kingdom's army runs away from 'magic caster'.

If Gazef still alive, whole noble will pressure him to do it anyway since he is Kingdom's ace in a hole.

Users who are viewing this thread