Peacock King

Dex-chan lover
I mostly only know about this from the Genesis game based on it; where the early versions of the English localization accidentally left the girl attached to the last boss still naked instead of covering her up to fit Western standards.

Dex-chan lover
Finally this manga is scanlated, I once considered learning Japanese just so I could read the raws which seem to have existed forever. Thanks a lot to the scanlators.

Group Leader
oh hey, i only know this series adapted into video games for famicom, there two game got fully-translated in english.

Dex-chan lover
This is some shitty translation for a manga that based heavily in Hindhu/Buddhist mythos. Peacock is an avatar of the goddess Mahamayuri, and the manga's name should be translated as Mahamayuri, not fucking peacock. Jesus christ. It is like translating Jesus into Carpenter. And it is definitely not fucking "ecchi", it is like saying Game of Thrones is ecchi because boobs were shown a few times.

This kind of shitty translation is why a lot of you westerns miss key plot points when reading mangas.

Power Uploader
This is some shitty translation for a manga that based heavily in Hindhu/Buddhist mythos. Peacock is an avatar of the goddess Mahamayuri, and the manga's name should be translated as Mahamayuri, not fucking peacock. Jesus christ. It is like translating Jesus into Carpenter. And it is definitely not fucking "ecchi", it is like saying Game of Thrones is ecchi because boobs were shown a few times.

This kind of shitty translation is why a lot of you westerns miss key plot points when reading mangas.

Translator here, and this is why you really should read the manga before you critique the translation. The title "Peacock King" (孔雀王) is not used in the manga to exclusively refer to the Buddhist goddess Mahamayuri (孔雀明王), but also to draw a syncretism with the Yazidi deity Melek Taus (the Peacock Angel), whom Muslims view as being equivalent with the fallen angel Iblis, and to draw a syncretism from there with the Christian fallen angel Lucifer. This explanation is in the very last page of the first chapter, and it's the entire justification for Kujaku, as the reincarnation of this syncretized Peacock King, having the potential for good and evil, a key plot point that would be missed if 孔雀王 was rendered as Mahamayuri. All appearances of 孔雀明王 are translated as Mahamayuri while all appearances of 孔雀王 are translated as Peacock King, and the relationship between Mahamayuri and the Peacock King should be clear enough in the manga itself. Other references to Hindu/Buddhist mythos are translated appropriately.

Checking out young jump manga volumes by release date, mostly laughing at trash hoping to find some gems. This was the best thing I've come across so far, it's good I guess.

Translator here, and this is why you really should read the manga before you critique the translation. The title "Peacock King" (孔雀王) is not used in the manga to exclusively refer to the Buddhist goddess Mahamayuri (孔雀明王), but also to draw a syncretism with the Yazidi deity Melek Taus (the Peacock Angel), whom Muslims view as being equivalent with the fallen angel Iblis, and to draw a syncretism from there with the Christian fallen angel Lucifer. This explanation is in the very last page of the first chapter, and it's the entire justification for Kujaku, as the reincarnation of this syncretized Peacock King, having the potential for good and evil, a key plot point that would be missed if 孔雀王 was rendered as Mahamayuri. All appearances of 孔雀明王 are translated as Mahamayuri while all appearances of 孔雀王 are translated as Peacock King, and the relationship between Mahamayuri and the Peacock King should be clear enough in the manga itself. Other references to Hindu/Buddhist mythos are translated appropriately.
Is the project dormant or has it been abandoned? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread