Philosophy Thread

Contributor
itssodeep.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Philosophy is best for shitposting, not gonna lie.

Pretty sure that's been the case ever since Diogenes began living in a barrel

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
Man, i remember how i turned to atheism, i started to doubt that praying to any saint or to God and my friend Jesus had any influence in my life, i was only 13 or 14 when it happened, i started thinking that maybe there isn't a god that can control what happens, even though i never read the true Bible (the one i have is made for kids, so it ignores a lot of the original work), i simply stopped praying every night, stopped thinking "thank god", just stopped. I haven't told my family this, that is because as far as i know, every single member of my family is catholic, and living in Mexico, catholicism is so big and important that even if the goverment is separated from the church, we still have holidays related to the religion approved and recognized by the goverment (we probably have more religious holidays than national ones), so i would be the black sheep of my family if i come out, although maybe my older cousins have also stopped believing and there is a chance that my father knows, but neither of us have made a move. The only people that know this are some of my friends.

When i became the equivalent of a freshmen, i had philosophy classes, my teacher opened my mind, i was literally blown away with the way people have thought throught the ages, things like the difference between atheism and agnosticism, people like Descartes, all of them greeks, Voltaire and such, although i don't remember exactly who had which thoughts, it was an important chapter of my life. My mom didn't like the fact that i took philosophy classes because they teach you to ask questions (Ironic), she told me that i had to keep my faith strong, i wonder what the me from another universe who kept believing would have done?

To this day i respect every religion that doesn't go too radical with its ideas, so i don't say anything about other people's beliefs because it is none of my business, i even go through all the things my mom asks, like bathing me with flowers and plants so i can do well at studying, going to church whe i visit my family, or litting a candle for a deceased family member, but i still feel a little disconnected when i do it.

Dex-chan lover
What is more important?

The new righteous feeling of being 'woke' or complying with new expected subjective norm of collective 'woke'

Dex-chan lover
@Teddy Neither 'cause they're both shit.

Getting a rush of dopamine because you believe something is kinda dumb. Brain, y u do dis?

@Richman

Kinda reminds me of Bless Me, Ultima which has a similar struggle in it. As an ex-Catholic turned secular myself I can relate. (Though, I'm just agnostic.)

I know Descartes was really Christian, but his beliefs on epistemology and metaphysics are more in line with stuff out of the Matrix more than anything. Personally, I'm a follower of Karl Popper's methodology and beliefs, so I can't really support the idea of everything being a dream-like illusion to it.

And if you think those guys are extreme, wait until you read Nietzsche.

"But this people has deliberately made itself stupid, for nearly a millennium: nowhere have the two great European narcotics, alcohol and Christianity, been abused more dissolutely."-Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

"Do I still need to say that in the whole of the New Testament there is only one honourable figure? Pilate, the Roman governor."-Nietzsche, The Antichrist

Dex-chan lover
whoa can't believe such a popular thread is all the way down here how the mighty have fallen

Users who are viewing this thread