Please Go Home, Akutsu-san! - Vol. 9 Ch. 170

It is 170! and author is still hovering around the topic? How long author gonna milk it :coffee:. This is one of the reason that I don't like romance genere of JP anime/manga. They always have MC's with same passive bs trope.

Dex-chan lover
Does anyone have any recomendations for something where they don't drag out the "will they won't they" stuff and instead show more of the actual relationship? Horimiya was my introduction to anime and manga and I feel like the bar got set a little high.
Good luck with that. The core part of most Romcoms is exactly what you're asking for less of.

You could try Romance instead of Romcom. Here are two good ones, I think, plus a bonus. They are both Shoujos but those are fine even for us guys.

I watched the anime for this one first and then read the manga. I think if you watch the anime then you don't really need to read the manga as the vast majority of the manga was adapted, but the manga was also good. This one has more humor than the other one below but is not a "comedy" as such.

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku)

You have to Sail the Seven Seas for this anime, but if you're on this site that probably doesn't bother you.

Information​

Type: TV
Episodes: 11
Aired: Apr 13, 2018 to Jun 22, 2018
Premiered: Spring 2018
Broadcast: Fridays at 00:55 (JST)
Producers: Aniplex, Dentsu, Fuji TV, Half H.P Studio, Ichijinsha, Kanetsu Investment, Christmas Holly
Licensors: None found, add some
Studios: A-1 Pictures
Source: Web manga
Genre: Romance
Themes: Adult Cast, Otaku Culture, Workplace
Duration: 22 min. per ep.
Rating: PG-13 - Teens 13 or older

With this one I've watched the anime but haven't yet started the manga. You don't get the romantic resolution right up front but the journey is enjoyable instead of causing you to rip your hair out. It isn't a Will They/Won't They.

Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru (My Love Story with Yamada-kun at Lv999)

This anime is available on Crunchyroll.

Information​

Episodes: 13
Aired: Apr 2, 2023 to Jun 25, 2023
Premiered: Spring 2023
Broadcast: Sundays at 00:30 (JST)
Producers: Aniplex, Movic, Tokyo MX, BS11, Egg Firm, Kadokawa, COMICSMART
Licensors: Aniplex of America
Studios: Madhouse
Theme: Video Game
Duration: 23 min. per ep.

Bonus:
This isn't what you're asking for but check out Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu (The Dangers in My Heart) anyway. The ongoing (as of 3/7/24) 2nd season is currently at number 31 in the list of top anime at MAL.

Ignore the psycho part of show's synopsis and give it the Three Episode Test. This is heartwarming.

You have to Sail the Seven Seas or subscribe to HIDIVE for this one.

Information​

Episodes: 13
Aired: Jan 7, 2024 to Mar 31, 2024
Premiered: Winter 2024
Broadcast: Sundays at 01:30 (JST)
Producers: Dentsu, TV Asahi, Movic, Magic Capsule, Avex Pictures, Akita Shoten, BS Asahi, TV Asahi Music
Licensors: Sentai Filmworks
Studios: Shin-Ei Animation
Source: Manga
Genres: Comedy, Romance
Theme: School
Demographic: Shounen
Duration: 23 min. per ep.

Dex-chan lover
Does anyone have any recomendations for something where they don't drag out the "will they won't they" stuff and instead show more of the actual relationship? Horimiya was my introduction to anime and manga and I feel like the bar got set a little high.
There's that recent Gyaru + Weeb high school romance anime where the Gyaru takes a bath in the MCs house on the first chapter cuz she got her foot in a gutter in front of the guy. I read its novel and it's progress incarnate.

If only I could recall the name to tell you 😅.

Edit:

The name is "The Gal Sitting Behind Me Likes Me -Maybe I'm Screwed Already-". Thank me later.

Dex-chan lover
Look he said it now say it back! SO WE CAN FINALLY GET RID OF THESE BLUE BALLS!!!

Dex-chan lover
Ase to Sekken, aka Sweat and Soap. It's an office setting instead of highschool. I believe it's either tied with or possibly even better than Horimiya, and I fucking love Horimiya.

Supporter
Good luck with that. The core part of most Romcoms is exactly what you're asking for less of.

You could try Romance instead of Romcom. Here are two good ones, I think, plus a bonus. They are both Shoujos but those are fine even for us guys.

I watched the anime for this one first and then read the manga. I think if you watch the anime then you don't really need to read the manga as the vast majority of the manga was adapted, but the manga was also good. This one has more humor than the other one below but is not a "comedy" as such.

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku)

You have to Sail the Seven Seas for this anime, but if you're on this site that probably doesn't bother you.

Information​

Episodes: 11
Aired: Apr 13, 2018 to Jun 22, 2018
Premiered: Spring 2018
Broadcast: Fridays at 00:55 (JST)
Producers: Aniplex, Dentsu, Fuji TV, Half H.P Studio, Ichijinsha, Kanetsu Investment, Christmas Holly
Licensors: None found, add some
Studios: A-1 Pictures
Themes: Adult Cast, Otaku Culture, Workplace
Duration: 22 min. per ep.
In the US, at least, Wotakoi is on Prime Video.

Dex-chan lover
C5oM9oN.png

she gottem

What chapters did they realize they were in love with each other? It's been so long.

Dex-chan lover
well, Actually pseudo harem will have an anime soon. But if you want something now...
Hum... Angel next door and since we are next door, galaxy next door too.
We also have Tonikaku Kawaii.
I have others but maybe this three will be good enough for now.

Dex-chan lover
Why do romcoms always treat confessing like some formal procedure you need to go through to officially date? Like, these two dumbasses already made it pretty clear to each other they have mutual feelings. Both know it, both want to date each other. There is quite literally nothing stopping them from becoming an item other than this dumbfuck notion that they can't do it until one of them goes "I hereby profess my feelings of love for you and humbly request to enter a formal romantic relationship with you".

There is no fucking point to this shit other than to drag things out and milk this "will they, won't they" (they obviously will) bullshit that no one fucking enjoys.
It's a cultural difference that you're seeing. "Confession culture" is absolutely massive and impactful in the East. That's why you see the girls that date around in romcoms get treated like sluts, because that's how it's perceived even without any kind of sexual interactions. The act of confessing is a huge moment in Japan that we don't really observe in other cultures.

Users who are viewing this thread