Please make the search filter (back) to checkbox. :implemented:

Fed-Kun's army
This morning I found the search filter has been changed from checkbox to drop-down format.
I find it's not as convenient as before when it was still checkbox, especially when I wanted to apply multiple selection and change several filters at once.
Imo the previous checkbox format feels better but maybe it's just me, and I don't know about most people preference.

VIP
It looks like this was done because of the massive number of new tags added (see the discussion thread here: https://mangadex.org/thread/46585/1 ), but I agree that the dropdown is slower and more inconvenient to use compared to the checkboxes.

yup, its kinda hard to search for me too
in my case if, before im just tag the gender bender then all manga have that tag will show up
now its not, i think u must tag all different thing to search better if not u will not see anything show up in search -_-

I also prefer the checkbox layout.

Despite the additional tags, I still think the checkbox layout works just fine.
EStAwKL.png

But even if more tags are added, it's a simple matter to have the various sections be collapse-able:
L19Hptw.png

dEk2zAv.png

I've already implemented this into a Firefox extension, and I find it much easier to use than the drop-down menu approach.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
As mentioned in the announcement thread, I'll probably make it toggleable, but for now it'll use the dropdowns because checkboxes would be pretty awful on mobile

I also prefer the old method, can't find anything I want with the new search.

Checkbox on mobile is fine I think, it faster than scrolling through drop down in my opinion because almost everything is on the screen to select.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Kisshouin posted:

Checkbox on mobile is fine I think, it faster than scrolling through drop down in my opinion because almost everything is on the screen to select.
The problem is that it's not anywhere near everything on the screen at once. The checkbox list is like 2 screens tall, probably 3 when more get added.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN posted:

Can you provide us with any predictions about how many more days it'll take till the toggleable comes?
I'm not from the future. Depends on when I have time for it. Could be later today, could be next year.

Power Uploader
I also vastly prefer checkbox, drop down takes too much time. It could be a potential dealbreaker for some people as well.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Pretty insane if a UI solution that's intended not to fuck over every mobile user is an actual dealbreaker for using the site

Fed-Kun's army
@Teasday How about a typeable columns? One for included tags and another for excluded tags. Then as you type them, there'd be those auto input thingy to make things faster. And also maybe a button for dropdown list if someone want to scroll through them manually.

@Teasday I mean for the genre selection only, other option can be dropdown because you have more specific selection.

When you make it toggle please make sure to unify it, so it won't create problem for including and excluding like before.

Fed-Kun's army
I came to post this thread and saw it was already here. ?

I guess I'll just say that I also prefer the checkbox layout and hope a setting is added to bring it back (like the legacy reader), you could just copy the "Exclude tags" section in the settings but with the green/red include/exclude functionality. Please and Thank You.

KyoqjQV.jpg

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Done. I changed the dropdown behaviour slightly as well. Unfortunately if there's any way to force a <select> to keep open after selecting an item, I can't figure it out, so I just went with the next best method and not reset it to the top every time.

Fed-Kun's army
@Teasday
Wow that was so fast~ Thank you so much.... but teeeny tiny problem, instead of clearing the checkbox on the 3rd click it keeps cycling between include/exclude (also the checkboxes in the "Exclude tags" section of the settings have changed to green include marks and the settings don't seem to be saving >.>).

Users who are viewing this thread