Plinivs - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Vesuvius

Arc

Nice to see more from this author. Seems like it'll be as good as her other works.
Thanks for translating.

Lux

Power Uploader
Thanks to the anon who picked this!

Vesuvius is a monster. May it sleep forever.

I waited so long for this to be translated (some anon was going to work from the Spanish edition, but I haven't heard from him) that I ended up just doing it myself. If anyone can help with J translation, hit me up. Biggest mistake was calling Pomponianus' wife "Sir" which I changed to "Domina"--mea culpa!

This chapter follows Pliny the Younger's letter fairly closely:

"He hurried to the place which everyone else was hastily leaving, steering his course straight for the danger zone. He was entirely fearless, describing each new movement and phase of the portent to be noted down exactly as he observed them. Ashes were already falling, hotter and thicker as the ships drew near, followed by bits of pumice and blackened stones, charred and cracked by the flames: then suddenly they were in shallow water, and the shore was blocked by the debris from the mountain.

"For a moment my uncle wondered whether to turn back, but when the helmsman advised this he refused, telling him that Fortune stood by the courageous and they must make for Pomponianus at Stabiae. He was cut off there by the breadth of the bay (for the shore gradually curves round a basin filled by the sea) so that he was not as yet in danger, though it was clear that this would come nearer as it spread. Pomponianus had therefore already put his belongings on board ship, intending to escape if the contrary wind fell. This wind was of course full in my uncle's favour, and he was able to bring his ship in. He embraced his terrified friend, cheered and encouraged him, and thinking he could calm his fears by showing his own composure, gave orders that he was to be carried to the bathroom. After his bath he lay down and dined; he was quite cheerful, or at any rate he pretended he was, which was no less courageous.

"Meanwhile on Mount Vesuvius broad sheets of fire and leaping flames blazed at several points, their bright glare emphasized by the darkness of night."

@sylvacoer I need to read this and all of those 19th century Roman romances, from Quo Vadis to The Last Days of Pompeii, being only familiar with the literary clichés of their pompous prose...

Dex-chan lover
Me, a person who knows a lot about ancient history:
Oh wow! A manga about Plinius!
First chapter - Vesuvius
Oh God! Oh Fuck!

Users who are viewing this thread