Poll about scanlation groups that left.

Poll about scanlation groups that left.

• Yes I will go and read the manga there.

Votes: 88 19.3%
  • No I have no plans to read the manga over there.

Votes: 284 62.3%
  • Not sure. (withdrawal symptoms have not sent in yet.)

Votes: 84 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its a no for me but not out of spite, have nothing against the groups that left. But I have an aggregate I use as a backup and to read licensed stuff + have an emergency bookmark backup so I don't get fucked over if MD ever goes kissmanga 2.0. If I see its by another group I'll just read it there, too much of a pain to look up all the groups that don't post here and see if they have an update on their individual site/discord vs instantly knowing on aggregate. But if I can read it here, I will even if I have to wait a few days.

I read literally hundreds of manga, if these groups think I'm going to multiple scan sites with a much worse UI they are out of their minds. I liked that MD gave credit to the scan groups, hell the scan groups could delay their chapters nigh indefinitely with links to their site to get past the delays. Any of these scan sites really believe they could survive the DDOS attacks that will eventually come their way? and now that they're gone even if I wanted to read their chapters I DON'T KNOW THEIR FUCKING WEBSITES so lol bye.

Contributor
No, fuck them all.

Reasons are :
Second Reason and my main reason is that they completely lied about why they left and started a smear campaign to boot. Had their reason been that MD isn't fighting enough for their freedom/rights as scanlators (debatable but at least respectable) or that they felt that MD wasn't being neutral, I would've respected their decisions.
Create a blatant lie + leave only to get more traffic/more clic/more donations + bad mentality.

Sorry, i can't support scanlators like that, i will read it on a aggregator who don't care about their choice then, or even better if i like a serie, and i have the chance, i will buy the manga here.

I live in France, so i don't rely too much on the scans, mostly to discover new series thanks to GREAT scanlators.

Eh, I'll just slowly forgot any manga that won't shows up anymore on my mangadex rss notification.
Just like how I unknowingly drop many stuff due it's not updated anymore on batoto.

If the series are that good, I would had bought the book or have them on release watch to be bought monthly.
a scanlation group not uploading it here anymore? At best, the time I would use to read their series could be used to look for new and possibly better series, at worst I just need to wait a few week for the actual book to be delivered. if it's on digital, then nothing of value lost for me.

But seriously, a group stop delivering things on some outlet or even a group that gone for good are not something to be concerned too much of, it's not like that the manga is cancelled.
At worst we're losing a good friend or place to talk about our common hobby, nothing that couldn't be replaced. if the group is just bunch of jackass then ¯\(ツ)/¯.
As long as it's not some kind of legal distributor, either it's single group, multiple groups, any aggregator site, or even mangadex itself being gone for good are nothing to fuss about. a little extra inconvenience maybe, but no big deal. It happened many times before and it will keep happening.
Group or site that think otherwise are simply being conceited.

Will I move to their site to read? no, with a little maybe unintentionally. and that maybe is if I accidentally found their site on FMD and download from their site. But chance I'll scrape from other aggregator site.
actually visiting? nah, never been a frequent visitor of scanlation site, doesn't think I'll be one in the future either...

Fed-Kun's army
I feel like now I'm in no position to care about manga that are not in mangadex. Life's too busy.

I liked some of the manga they were posting in MD, but now they aren't posting it here - I can't be bothered to ever finish it.
Solo Leveling, My Hero Aca etc.. are all dead to me. It doesn't benefit anyone, only the scanlators.

Contributor
Aside from We Can't Study, since I was already reading on there website for that. I won't be going to scanlator websites for the other works.

Dex-chan lover
I love every manga I read, and I'm even ready to die for them, so of course I'm gonna follow them wherever they go.
If you don't like a manga enough to "bother" going on another site, why did you even read it in the first place?

Fed-Kun's army
I actually used to have most of the scanlator websites that left bookmarked and would open them everyday so I wouldn't need to wait for the delays(at one point I had over 50 scanlator websites bookmarked). But honestly kicking up e-drama, no matter the reason, made me not want to visit any of them.

The only reason I ever touched any of the scanlators' sites was because they were linked on the MangaDex pages. Since they're gone and I'm not keeping a list of scanlator websites when I could just load up an aggregate site for anything that isn't on here, I'm never going to end up visiting the sites of anyone who left.

@BlackGeneral
Some people simply love to read whatever available to read.
If it doesn't available here, why bother going to other places if there's something else available to read here anyway.

Site aggregator like mangadex gives an easy access to wide variety and content to read, a series need to pass certain quality for it to worth the effort of leaving such place to look for it.
I doubt most contents warrants such effort. Even if one or two happens to be, it's more time efficient to look for other aggregator sites than scourging various individual sites.

Group Leader
I'm the same as Phaestos, before mangadex I was reading on Manga Life and still frequent the site. Anything I can't find here, I look there bc of convenience (Hell I'm currently reading Hatigram's Hammer Session over there since it got pulled from here). I try to appreciate scanslators, but I'm also in the camp of not expecting to be paid for pirating. Share your work because you want to, not because you want something in return. It's not really yours to sell anyway. If you don't like that, then don't share your work at all. Translate for yourself and maybe your friends and tell everyone else to eat shit. I'm cool with that too.
Hell, the crazy gatekeeping nature of the manga translating community is exactly why I don't share the stuff I translate (along with the fact that my lawyer father has put the fear of god into me about being sued no matter how unlikely). Especially since I'm an extreme noob about all aspects of scanslating and my work is garbage to begin with, I don't want to deal with the drama of being accused of "sniping" just because I wanted to read something in a more timely fashion and didn't care if the quality wasn't as good and thought I'd share it anyway in case there were others like me who just wanted to see a series finished and didn't care that I used MS Paint and comic sans. So I just keep my (literal) shit to myself because I aint about that life on the internet.

jak

Contributor
What exactly happened to cause all these groups to pull out?

Group Leader
not expecting to be paid for pirating

This. What I see in the scanslation scene in general is that the line between "donations" and "payment" start to blur in time. I'm not saying that people shouldn't be rewarded for their efforts, but at the end of the day it's still a voluntary effort. Things tend to start getting messy when money is involved.

Group Leader
I don't support the groups' stances for leaving, but I also use ad-blockers and noscript when going to their site, so they're not really making money off me either way.

Dex-chan lover
@jak
long story shorten. Read the MD announcements section. It's not all interviews.

Dex-chan lover
I already was reading some of their series on their websites before all this drama began so yeah i'll still go to their sites doesn't mean I don't condemn their actions.

Lux

Power Uploader
I'll just use aggregators to read the series of the groups who left. With Adblock on of course.

Dex-chan lover
Considering that these groups left because they were concerned about MangaDex somehow cutting into their beloved Patreonbux and were more concerned with scanlation as a business instead of a hobby/fan passion... No. Fuck those groups that left. I will never go to their website.

I would actually rather read on KissManga than go to those groups websites. That's how much I detest their bullshit.

Contributor
I am a pretty avid reader, and so far, only around 3-4% of the titles I read were effected.

Yep, that is a 3 and a 4.

I do have to note that the scanlators that left forgot that this is a dog-eat-dog world, and there are groups who will gladly step in (and already have in some cases) and scanlate titles that were withdrawn.

I already visit a few scanlator sites, but I usually only go when there are multiple titles that the group does or if there is a serious advantage to going there as compared to here.

Users who are viewing this thread