potential double page bug

While reading chapter 2 of World Embryo using the cool double page view(wish more sites had this), I noticed that the pairing of pages sometimes changes. Page 23 is shown as a single page, but moving to page 24 and then moving back to page 23 displays page 23 with 22 as a double page view. I think page 23 being displayed as a single page might be a bug and that the previous pages were displayed incorrectly.

EDIT: Nevermind this dumb post of mine. I just saw on another thread that shift + left/right/a/d can be used to shift the pages by one. That works fine as a fix for pages that are shown together incorrectly.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Yeah, until we run some serious server-side scripts to mark wide images so that the reader can know what they are before loading them, one-page shifting is going to have to do. Personally I can't wait to fix this stuff.

Fed-Kun's army
This is related to the double page view, I don't believe it's a bug as much as it isn't designed properly to do what it was intended for, but for example on this image.
jletws.png

If I were physically holding this manga. I would start reading in the upper right hand corner of the right of the two pages and then move from there down that page, then move to the left page and read left and down from there. The way that double page view is currently set up I start on the upper right of the left image and then move to the upper right of the right image. This is backwards.

Thinking about it further on an unrelated issue, the options to remap the arrow keys so that left progresses the manga and right regresses would be appreciated, but I understand the majority of English readers on this site aren't going to think twice about which arrow is technically the correct one to move through a manga instead of the one you use in any other form of media.

Dex-chan lover
@Chrona
In the reader settings, you can set the direction to right to left and it solves your problem. Its keyboard shortcut is h

Fed-Kun's army
@ solstice258
Ah, I was thinking I would need to remap the keys, but remapping the entire image set works too. I appreciate it.

Furthermore, switching the ordering corrects the flaw I mentioned before. When I set the reading right to left it displays the manga pages properly. This should still apply to left to right mode though in my opinion, because the entire point of the double page view is to replicate what it's like holding a manga, and any double page spread will be effected in the wrong mode. Take these images. First is in Right to Left mode, the second is Left to Right Mode. You'll see the bindings on the pages are skewed for the later, forwarding one page at a time does not correct this issue. Even if the page is not meant to be a double spread that doesn't mean there isn't a "flow" to panels.
eseoia.png

lkjtuq.png

Dex-chan lover
@Chrona
If it applied to left-to-right mode, then comics originally in languages that read left-to-right would never be correct in double page mode

Fed-Kun's army
@MrIncognito
Good thing it's literally in the rules that you can only upload Japanese, Chinese and Korean comics. Where Japanese and Chinese are read right-to-left and Korean is by default longstrip form and is a non-issue.

Dex-chan lover
@Chrona
Unfortunately, printed Korean media exists and will probably continue to do so for quite a while.

Dex-chan lover
@Chrona, chinese is actually left-right, unless stated (like in this https://mangadex.org/title/23368/hero-i-quit-a-long-time-ago ).Some groups also just upload the spread properly, there is that.

And there are some non-japanese/chinese/korean comics, user-generated ones in manga style (which is why western comics are here)

Fed-Kun's army
@MrIncognito
Alright then, let us concede your point, in that instance, the options we have are to cause problems with the materials that are read right-to-left or those read left-to-right. I am going to make the bold assertion that on a site called mangadex, the majority of media is Japanese. Since, no matter what, in any situation whatsoever, either one or the other will be effected by this, the majority should be favoured over the minority. In that case, it is on you to prove that there would be more Korean media (and possibly the majority of Chinese media if the above comment is held to be true) to be disrupted by this on the site then there would be Japanese media.

An alternative strategy is to have this setting change based on whether or not the media in question is labelled Japanese, Korean, or Chinese. Keep the way it currently works applicable to all Korean and Chinese, and change it for Japanese media by default.

@JJTheWeeb
And there are some non-japanese/chinese/korean comics, user-generated ones in manga style (which is why western comics are here)
Let us concede these exist, then it still benefits the minority of Western comics that are on the site at the cost of the majority of Japanese media. Unless you are proposing there are more Western comics than Japanese media on the website.

Users who are viewing this thread