Price of Tiers should be reduced. ( Just a suggestion tho )

Hey, I am new here. Well, I made an account recently, otherwise it's been a long time. So, about supporting the site, I think should lower the price.
Reason- I am an Indian and our currency is 1 usd = 83 ruppees right now, so considering that 5 usd = around 500 ruppees , that's a big amount for us. I want to support Dex-chan but the price is high for me, that is the case for most people I discussed with. They would surely support if the price is around 1 usd.

So, that made me think that there would be a huge number of people who are not able to afford as well but wants to show their support, I think lowering price and collecting money from that huge number of people would be more than collecting 5 usd from a very small amount.

Anyway, Its just a suggestion though.

Love to Dex- chan too TT

Solution
If the transaction fees are the problem, then it seems yearly subscription options would solve that.
For what it's worth yes. Though it's not the default way, you can absolutely:
1. Sub, setting a custom a amount
2. Cancel it immediately

And do that once a year.

As others said, not everyone needs to either; there's millions of users, and only a very very very small percentage of them would be way way enough.

So far things look promising, so we do hope to be able to remove the flying card at least very soon if it continues.
Dex-chan lover
Hey, I am new here. Well, I made an account recently, otherwise it's been a long time. So, about supporting the site, I think should lower the price.
Reason- I am an Indian and our currency is 1 usd = 83 ruppees right now, so considering that 5 usd = around 500 ruppees , that's a big amount for us. I want to support Dex-chan but the price is high for me, that is the case for most people I discussed with. They would surely support if the price is around 1 usd.

So, that made me think that there would be a huge number of people who are not able to afford as well but wants to show their support, I think lowering price and collecting money from that huge number of people would be more than collecting 5 usd from a very small amount.

Love to Dex- chan too TT
I actually agree with you and am glad someone brought it up.

I love this site (I'd be devestated if it went away) and I'm impressed it has gone as far as it had without asking for financial support from us. But I understand that couldn't go on indefinitely (as nice as it would be). Now I'm an American and even I can't really justify the lowest tier at $5/month. That adds up to $60/year, which is a little...hard to swallow. That's why it be nice if there was another tier that was just $1/month. I wouldn't even mind if this tier came with no perks; just supporting the site in some way is enough for me.

$12/year seems very reasonable and I imagine many people would throw their support for it.

Dex-chan lover
UYSfSUL.png

56qje0.jpg

come on, I already clicked it, read it, and looked at the Namicomi. Why must you torture me?

Love to Dex- chan too TT
The problem is Stripe fees
Strip on transaction takes a flat fee commission on every card payments (0.30$) + taxes of at least 2.9% but with internationnal card and pricing for displaying the form, makes it likely to be 4.9%
So yeah for a donation of 1$ around 35% will be taken by Stripe has Namicomi is setup in US :/

Because fees also depend based on your company location, costing less in country with a "weaker money"
Taking for example the same company if it was located in India, there would be a fee of 3% to 5%

May be better if they also make possible to do one time donation as suggested here
https://forums.mangadex.org/threads/1-time-donation-option.1692338/

I actually agree with you and am glad someone brought it up.

I love this site (I'd be devestated if it went away) and I'm impressed it has gone as far as it had without asking for financial support from us. But I understand that couldn't go on indefinitely (as nice as it would be). Now I'm an American and even I can't really justify the lowest tier at $5/month. That adds up to $60/year, which is a little...hard to swallow. That's why it be nice if there was another tier that was just $1/month. I wouldn't even mind if this tier came with no perks; just supporting the site in some way is enough for me.

$12/year seems very reasonable and I imagine many people would throw their support for it.
Exactly, what I mean . I mean I don't need perks too, just supporting is fine.

Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer
If the transaction fees are the problem, then it seems yearly subscription options would solve that.
For what it's worth yes. Though it's not the default way, you can absolutely:
1. Sub, setting a custom a amount
2. Cancel it immediately

And do that once a year.

As others said, not everyone needs to either; there's millions of users, and only a very very very small percentage of them would be way way enough.

So far things look promising, so we do hope to be able to remove the flying card at least very soon if it continues.

Solution
Dex-chan lover
I just "subscribed" and then cancelled to effect a one time donation. Here's the process:

- Click on the donation link

- Select a tier

- Select a tier again

- Enter Credit Card information to Stripe

- Navigate to My Subscriptions in NamiComi (iirc it redirects there automatically)

- Click on the Manage button for the MangaDex subscription

- Open your email and follow the link Stripe/NamiComi sent

- Cancel Subscription via Cancel button on mid-right (might say something else, I forget)

Might seem a bit involved, but it took longer to write this out.

*P.S. This isn't meant as a direct reply to OP, more as a general comment in case any one is hesitant to do this.

My big gripe is that there's no information about how many people ARE subscribed currently? Like, there's absolutely no transparency about how much money they are getting, how much money they still need, how much would my donation actually help, et cetera.
Call me jaded but I've seen wild stuff over the years in the manga fansubbing scene. I don't trust you people with my money.

Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer
My big gripe is that there's no information about how many people ARE subscribed currently? Like, there's absolutely no transparency about how much money they are getting
That's a very fair stance; right now we don't have a good way to wire it up automatically (yet) but we will look into how we can display it correctly.

how much money they still need, how much would my donation actually help, et cetera.
Here again we need a better summary, but here's a quick-ish-ly typed reply I offered on discord to a user asking the same:
it's extremely hard to perfectly predict [how much we need]

for example, how much we "need" depends on what we "need" the website to do in the first place if we keep avoiding features that are expensive resources-wise, and keep running the site pretty much at max capacity everyday, then we can get away with about $2800/month

but if we want to stabilize the site, handle traffic surges better, handle more complex/costly features, all reliably, then... "more"

but that "more" is very difficult to estimate, because for everything we pay prices negotiated way below market rate with friends (otherwise no way we would be able to run MD like we do already without paying 10x more at the very least)
but that is limited in supply (depends how many friends with datacenter/cloud-provider connections have random servers lying around doing nothing that they can lend us for cheap, for example)
when we decide to get extra servers, the cost thus is... very variable, from cost-of-electricity (say $30/month) to good market price (say $100/month) to normal market price (say $150/month)

all-in-all, it depends a lot, and while it feels better for people to see a target cost, it'd be dishonest for us to name a future price because we just don't know, so all we can say is what things currently cost, approximately, even though we actively need to go higher

bit tricky, idk what you'd think is a good way for us to explain that

Call me jaded but I've seen wild stuff over the years in the manga fansubbing scene. I don't trust you people with my money.
Yup, understandable.

Users who are viewing this thread