Promo as a Format?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
I see with a lot of manhwas/manhuas/mangas and I never can decide if it's really just a promo or they've already started to translate it (because it's not always written in there). So I suggest that instead of writing in description or name, it should be in the genres, so everyone will see it right away.

Double-page supporter
Any non-original manga is promo manga. And there's already tag for this. It's called adaptation.

Group Leader
@BzzBzz: I was not thinking about originality here, but about the fact that it's often impossible to distinguish between complete and promo manhwas.

@BraveDude8: That's harder, but you can separate the two: Oneshot can also present a full short story, while a promo is just a slice of a novel, an advertisement to promote the work.

@BraveDude8 i've seen this comment in other threads and it has got me curious if there is a language difference or something. To me a promo not just in manga but in most areas is meant to be a taste or a tease to get you to get more of whatever product. The deli gives you a taste of pasta salad to promote the pastas salad that is about to expire, uh, I mean they want to sell, they are hoping you will buy more, a pound, half pound or some other amount. Even if they give you a pound it is usually with the idea that you will start coming back for more. A promo is kind of test marketing to see if there is demand for more or if they can create a demand for more.

I view a oneshot product as complete product that you aren't going to come back for more of in a short time. Things like cars, appliances, a self-contained book in that you might look for more books to read but that story is finished. A oneshot is self-contained, the story is completed within that chapter.

To me if it is an adaptation of a novel that has more than one chapter it is likely not a oneshot but a promo.
If it is an incomplete story vs a completed story then it makes me think of test marketing with the hope that there is demand for more, so promo.

Double-page supporter
> To me a promo not just in manga but in most areas is meant to be a taste or a tease to get you to get more of whatever product.

I bolded the part where you are wrong. You're judging "promotional" (promo is simple contraction) from western perspective. We'll give you one bigmac for free and you are our slave for life.
Japenese perspective is different. For example, do you know that in most cases anime by itself are barely profitable or studio can even lose money?
But when studio produce anime profit from anime is not the target. Anime is promotional product. They will lose money on anime but will make fortune from LN/manga sale spikes, from merchandise, from OST/singles, etc.

That's why in every thread for promo tag I reply with Any non-original manga is promo manga. In many cases manga is less detailed and much more fastpaced - manga is promotional product for LN (better, more detailed product).

Contributor
Planned > Titles > Add 'DJ' icon and remove (Doujinshi) from titles
the same thing for "promo" mb ?
CNtfcrV.gif

@BzzBzz ok, that's actually interesting that they lose money on anime. At the same time groups on this site do seem to add promo in the title or to the chapter title to indicate that this is not a one shot or an attempt to be a complete story but a promo.

Not sure what it would be but then how about a different name. Alternatively if what you are trying to promote is more then one chapter long then it is not a one shot. I do think those pushing for a promo tag would be happy with a different name if promo is unacceptable as long as they could pull out the oneshots instead of the "promo's" (from a western prospective). I would.

I can think of one solution, search for oneshot and completed. Some collections of oneshots would be left out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread