PSA: Paywalled/Fake MangaDex Apps and Anniversary Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@Cyreader
Several users have made similar suggestions. While we appreciate the input, it is safest for us from an information security standpoint to move solely to crypto.

@Zephyrus
Ok right I can understand that concern.
Still think it'd be a way to do it without bringing attention to it - but I can imagine anyone running the blog would be scrutinised if it linked back to Mangadex somehow.

Hope a solution better than ads finds it's way.

Staff
Super Moderator
@MikuChan
At this point we are not interested at all in creating an official app or tachiyomi extension.

Group Leader
@Zephyrus do you think the app I am working on shouldn’t be used? As in do you consider it to be “not ok” and if so what can I do for it to be ok.

You can find the update thread for it in the general forum, I feel like posting a link here would be advertising on an announcement

Staff
Admin
I think we just plan on improving the site to work even better on mobile.

When V5 comes out :x

Staff
Super Moderator
@Paper324
Do you plan on making money off of the app in any way? If so, then I believe you should not be developing that app at all.

You might argue that you want to recoup dev costs (I think Apple charges devs $99 to put their stuff on the App Store) but I'd point out that @Holo paid for MD out of his own pocket. Frankly, if you're in it for something other than out of the kindness of your heart, you shouldn't be doing it. MD has been anti-profit off of piracy from Day 1.

Group Leader
looks like you guys dont know Neko?
its an app for android, forked from tachiyomi, but solely developed for mangadex with support for mangadex specific feature that missing from tachiyomi,
visit here for more info
https://github.com/CarlosEsco/Neko
also, here some screenshot
screenshots.png

Group Leader
@Zephyrus I would've gladly paid for the dev account out of my own pocket if it had been a one-off payment since it would also benefit me in the long run. But since it's recurring I need to make the app self-sufficient if i am going to be putting it up there. As for making anything off of the app, I highly doubt I'd get anything tbh. Ads don't really provide much of a profit, not until you have them plastered all over the place. As for the argument "if you're in it for something other than out of the kindness of your heart" the whole app came into being because I don't want to rely on MangaRock now that it has died, MR still works for people who got it before it was taken down from the app store but there's no guarantee that it'll keep running. This is more of a personal project that I want to share with everyone rather than a commercial one.

Dex-chan lover
@0xhello

Just tried it, seems pretty good since its syncs account with the app. Hopefully open source means safe. Might use til v5 comes out and see how compatible it is with tachiyomi

Dex-chan lover
bruh...
let alone tachi and its forks, you can always bookmark the mangadex, pin it to phone's homescreen or in the browser's start page. the browser can download webpage for offline viewing too. why tf wasting MB storing cancers and viruses?
bruh...

Aggregator gang
Just cause it's easier to use, it downloads and notifies you of new chapters for the series you want. No cancer in Tachiyomi, it's a fully stable, open source app that supports other sources, like the groups own if you want it from there and they have an own site to release on, not only mangadex.

Can't MangaDex sense when those apps are being used and force a page reload to the index page of that manga?

Even in the early days of torrenting, multiple fake torrent sites were created and run in other foreign countries which basically duplicated sites such as BoxTorrents (BakaBT). Those sites didn't charge, but had lots of advertisement banners and affiliate links. To make things annoying, they took bandwidth from the sites they were emulating such as linking to objects, the tracker, and of course the description pages and reviews for each torrent. Those sites also affected seeders by stealing their bandwidth as the torrents were multi-tracker. BoxTorrents of course did a few tricks that made it harder for those for-profit sites to also steal the seeders in the cloud.

@RicHykkie Holy shit, I got so used to 4g coverage here in Croatia that I forgot about that. Completely forgot even though I used that function of the app I have all the time... And I'm a guy that has 70GiB of music on phone's SD card and 16TB worth of external HDDs full of everything just so I don't have to rely on internet connecttion...

Im still using mangarock definitive for my reading manga but let me tell u why im usin that. Firstly its perfect user interface and easy to use update notification and has chinese and korean mangas which most of them not in here mangadex becouse of dmca

But still after i read on mangarock i still come and see what people think about the chapter in the comment section

And its realy convinent use app than browser im excitet about v5 mangadex waiting for that

Some people might say tachi or neko. I have neko installed on my phone i didnt like it the interface its really rich feautered app but interface is everything

+ i really like the manga recommendetion after u read a chapter on mangarock

I wonder if those people who forked over money to these paywalled apps have even heard about Mangadex.

Probably consists of mostly kids and teens who got it from their friends or searched it themselves and are now being tricked.

Dex-chan lover
@AbyssalMonkey I use a 5 year old phone (Moto X Play) and I never had issues reading either on mangadex or other stuff like Line Webtoon app (which also lods all pages on their manhwas). Maybe its the Android type? Cuz Motorola is known for having very, very little bloatware compared to Samsung for example.

For the love of god not eveyone uses Android, some of us use IOS and guess what after the death of Manga rocks there is no way to download and read manga offline. Tachiyomi is not the solution to eveything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread