PSA: Paywalled/Fake MangaDex Apps and Anniversary Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
@darkmeep Tachi was only 'dead' because of the temporary domain change; since MD wasn't where it expected it to be.

Anyway, @ all the "just use mobile site" people: Tachi is actually much nicer. I have used both, it's not a contest. But that's not even the most important part. I'd like to echo and emphasise @RicHykkie's use-case: It's super convenient to download chapters and then read them while I'm out, where I almost never have internet access. I can't overstate the value of that.

maybe you could register mangadex as a trademark and ask google and apple to stopped the distribution of your name like that guy did on tweeter (at ~9:00):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIR-23e91M

Dex-chan lover
Might be worth reporting their FB page too: https://m.facebook.com/pg/mangadexx/posts/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

Aggregator gang
This will only end in bad news for all of us on here... just like it did for mangarock when they got greedy. Also convenience has a cost which is usually greater exposure, sadly and typically this leads to a quicker death by dmca.

Maybe you should consider creating official app for MangaDex and make it totally free, so everyone will know that its legit 100%. I would rather use official app, it will be useful hen I want read new manga releases on the phone.

For any who has has yet to know, while not a full native app, Mangadex is a PWA if you add it to your home screen (iOS, don’t know about android)

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
Just to reiterate from the OP, there are some apps on both stores that aren't necessarily called "MangaDex" but use us as sources for content. If it's free, we're mostly ok with that. If it is a "premium app" (meaning you have to pay to download. I know that seems obvious but not everyone is aware) or is free to download but the actual content from MangaDex is behind a paywall, that is absolutely not ok and we'll try to warn users whenever we come across such apps.

Dex-chan lover
Considering Mangadex loads super well without any problems on Silk browser (stock browser) on a potato Kindle fire, I don't see why an app is needed?

@Zephyrus

Question, could someone who knows your crypto details say run a blog website about manga completely separate from you guys. But they take patreon money to run the blog then using that patreon money they get they buy crypto and "invest" it where they please?

Don't want to spell it out too obviously but if you're going to continue crypto and people want to contribute could be a roundabout way of doing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread