Pseudo Harem - Vol. 5 Ch. 102 - Taste Test

Fed-Kun's army
@TheElusiveTaco
Please consider translating ギャップ as "contrast" or "quirk" or anything else that makes more sense in standard English than "gap" when said about somebody's character. It's a pseudo-loanword, it needs to be translated.

@moozooh
I'm pretty sure the way gap is used is fairly well known in English as well, though perhaps not quite as well known as other terms like honorifics. Like gap-moe is a fairly popular term.

Fed-Kun's army
@max13565
It really isn't—there is not a single dictionary that recognizes "gap" as a term for an unexpected peculiarity of character, and the reason for that is that its presence is limited to anime/manga/VN communities where it emerged as a mistranslation (because katakana is devious like that). It's great that English already has a word for that exact thing, "quirk", but in I'm afraid the next argument I will read will be that it's well-known as a term for a superhero power.

And gap-moe is a borrowed idiom, not standard English. Naturally, it's only used in the same exact communities.

Fed-Kun's army
@moozooh
English dictionaries don't include Japanese honourifics either, but many translators choose to keep them anyway, because there is no translated way to maintain the meaning they're meant to convey. The question is not whether or not the word/meaning is in the dictionary, but what the best way is to convey the original meaning. While sure such usage of "gap" has not become wide enough to be recognised by the general pupblic, as long as it's recognised enough in this anime/manga community, it could be used to properly get the meaning across. I see no issue to the same exact communities using the terms that best describe their concepts, just because they're not standard English. We're not talking about standard English concepts in the first place, so why limit ourselves that way?

Also concerning your own examples, while "contrast" would have been more or less good, I think "quirk" doesn't quite describe it very well. The concept of "gap" as used by the Japanese is about the contrast between one and oneself, while "quirk" is about how one is different from others. Doesn't really work.

Fed-Kun's army
For a moment I expected Eiji to pull a super power move and lick the sauce off Cheeky-chan's hand.

Group Leader
@moozooh
@TheElusiveTaco
Please consider translating ギャップ as "contrast" or "quirk" or anything else that makes more sense in standard English than "gap" when said about somebody's character. It's a pseudo-loanword, it needs to be translated.

Thank you for the suggestion! I agree that either of those would have been a much better choice🙂

Dex-chan lover
Cheeky chan is baaaaaack
So fluffing cute

Also. LICK IT EIJI
eat-it-a7x.gif

Dex-chan lover
other than the ingredients or thickness i wonder what makes the sauce 'western' versus 'japanese' tasting lol

Users who are viewing this thread