Waiting for User Pumpkin Night - Chapter numbering is a mix of volume and magazine numbering (and therefore aligned with neither).

Contributor
https://mangadex.org/title/4e421eb8-d4a0-4096-86db-ca5e3fc42c5d
In short, for the first 3 volumes' worth of chapters, the volume chapters and their numbering was used. However, after that, the magazine chapters started being used, while still throwing in the occasional volume chapter for an extra measure of misalignment. The magazine chapters are shorter than the volume chapters, tho, leading MD's numbering to be ahead of the volume numbering and behind the magazine numbering. This is particularly a problem because the pages themselves have Japanese numbers on them marking which chapter they are, and whether the chapter is from the magazine or the volume, MD's numbers don't line up with either, which can lead and has led to erroneous reports, while also confusing/unsettling anyone who notices the discrepancy.

I made lists laying out the differences.

There 2 main possible solutions to this problem:
1. Align the magazine chapters with the volumes, as is usually done.
Here's the problem with that in this instance: The magazine chapters are shorter than the volume chapters because they start and end at slightly different spots. Doing this would require a decent amount of page-shifting to different chapters. It's certainly doable with enough patience, tho. Also, would almost certainly be an ongoing task, as even with the most recent Volume 7, the magazine chapters continue to not line up with the volume chapters.
2. Align the first 3 volumes with the magazine numbering.
While generally not what's done, this seems like the easier solution in this case. There's just one problem: Where are the chapter breaks for magazine chapters? I was unable to find the raws. Maybe I just suck and/or the answer is right beyond LINE Manga's regionlock that I was unable to get around, so if you are able to determine where the breaks were between the magazine's 27 chapters (versus the volumes' 19), then boom you're in business.

Unfortunately, because of the mix of sources, regardless of which is done, there will still be chapters where the numbering on them doesn't align with the MD numbering, but this is an understood problem and at least it will be mitigated somewhat by a fix.

A Small Thing That Could Be Done Right Now:
For whatever reason, the chapter that is labelled 51.5 on MD, 39 in the volume, and 60 in the magazine was skipped in the initial English translation. The scanlators went from “51” to “52”, missing this chapter. The 2nd scanlator noticed and put it as 51.5 so that it could be red in the correct order, but it's no extra chapter. As such, if improving the current MD amalgamation numbering without fully fixing it matters, then everything 52 and greater should be increased by 1 and 51.5 should be made 52. I'm of the opinion that this doesn't really matter because still nothing will line up, but it could be done.

Other Notes:
  • The current read order is correct at least.
  • Other languages follow the English numbering.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread