Rakudai Kenja no Gakuin Musou - Vol. 3 Ch. 8.4

Dex-chan lover
I’m really getting annoyed and frustrated over how he won’t just tell her in private and then swear her to secrecy. How difficult is it to take her to a place where no one will hear them, tell her what happened, and then explain that he just wants to have a peaceful life with no one learning his true identity? She’s clearly still loyal to him and cares a lot about their master-student relationship. Beating around the bush and lying to her like this is wasting time, frustrating to watch, and just insulting to her pure intentions and how sad she was when he died and how happy she’d be to have him back. It’s nice to see somehow call out the mc for acting the EXACT SAME as their previous life, but not if we’re not going to do anything with it besides waste some chapters lying to the person that cares about them the most. Not to mention the sheer resources and answers the MC would have (Merlin would be his best resource for what happened as somehow that’s been alive these past 400 years AND she’s a direct ancestor of that slave girl whose name I forgot, so she could help with her training. I mean its not like the MC is accomplishing his dream in this school he’s already 100x better than; comparing notes with Merlin and entering a more elite academy would actually be helpful). What even is this story doing anymore besides wasting time? Ever since it was mentioned she was alive their reunion was the only actual realistic goal that’s popped up in this story and I looked forward to it. This is just infuriating and feels like a serious character being used as a way to fill time.

Also, I’m just saying, but if he did want to keep his true identity secret he should have just went along with her instead of making up some random scandalous story (which if believed would hurt his past life’s reputation and otherwise is a pretty obvious lie that could be easily ripped apart). Playing dumb would have been the best way when he’s failed on THIS many accounts (why would a descendant from somebody and their mistress act, think, and have knowledge EXACTLY matching that person; even if it’s too be believed that the mistress was given special knowledge (why would you give your mistress the secrets to your glory and why has no one else popped up from this supposed line before showing off their amazing skill?) that doesn’t affect the way you think or account for the 400 year gap in knowledge). The conclusion she came to by herself STILL didn’t oust his true identity. He should have just said something like “I don’t know? Maybe. I’m just me. Now this is getting kinda weird, so can you leave me alone?”. Its like the plot’s taken stupid pills.

@Oryangatan @BozMagic reincarnation, wish fulfillment, and isekai are all cut from the same cloth. They’re all generally power fantasy (poorly done power fantasy) which is where most of these tropes are from. They’re also all using set in the same type of fantasy world. I mean I imagine there are some exceptions, but most of them pretty much different ways to tell this same story. Its like the exact same pair of pants, but in different colors.

@TNT261 You're entirely correct. MC's decisions are stupid and only exist to keep suspense. Merlin would be the ideal informational resource for him, which is supposed to be his entire motivation.

@TNT261
I wouldn't really call Konosuba or Re:Zero power fantasies. Youjo Senki looks like a power fantasy at first, but Tanya's achievements get her further away from what she really wants (a cushy desk job in the rear).

Technically, "Alice in Wonderland" and "The Wizard of Oz" could be called isekai since they do take place in another world. That would be stupid, but it does show that there can be more done with that plot device than throwing people into a generic fantasy world.

I think calling them SAO clones would be more accurate since that's where all this shit started.
Bog standard fantasy setting? Check
Boring, OP harem protagonist MC? Check
Special ability only the MC has? Check
Transported to another world? Kinda
Video game elements like stats and menus? Check
There's definitely a few more things I've forgotten, but I can't be bothered to think more on this.

Back in the day, publishers would have to spend money printing ask these manga, so most of the terrible ideas were never seen by the public. Now a new manga only needs a page on a website, so publishers can throw everything at the wall to see what sticks. It just so happens that a lot of these authors are still riding the SAO bandwagon even if they don't know it.

I'm not defending trash manga and anime. I'm just saying that we need to properly sort the trash.

Shup fucking retards, this is isekai, it talked about the grappler the mc did. He said he learned it from previous reincarnation which is the earth one. Retards

I don't like that people really judge the writing of power fantasies like this, but goddamn. MC's way of thinking is the most inconsistent sht i've seen. He doesn't want to stand out, nut he didnt even think of a plan for that goal. He says he answered all the questions, but didn't even read the instructions. Now on this chapter, he didn't want Merlin to know, because there were people around? Really? he had to make a stupid lie?

I wish power fantasies have at least the minimum amount of proper writing like in Overgeared. At the very least, something that does not detract from the story, engaging, and keeps a suspension of disbelief. MC is driving the story on this one, and he's really driving it to the wrong direction so far.

Doesn't want to stand out so he lies to Merlin ---> 30 seconds later ---> Accept to have a magical showdown with her ........

Maybe I am bit late but WHY THE HELL MERLIN AS HEADMASTER WEAR SHAMELESS CLOTH?! LOOK AT YOUR STUDENT! THEY WEAR DECENT UNIFORM!

Dex-chan lover
@witwhits thank god I thought I was the only one. it's such a clusterfuck of inconsistency in this MC's thinking... he's supposed to have the experience of a grandpa.. why does he act like a dumb 15 yr old

Fed-Kun's army
This might be the saltiest thread on mangadex, holy fuck guys. Actually unparalleled.

I came here to read about why the series hasn’t been updated for a moth. But wow, this is probably the worst comment sections in all of mangadex lol.

If you don’t like, don’t read. Complaining here isn’t gonna change anything. At least go complain (make a respectable critique) to the author or something instead. Don’t make the community toxic. Don’t call someone a r*tard just because you disagree on if the fictional fantasy character has inconsistencies.

Supporter
First rule of LIT manga: (Low-tier Isekai Trash)
Turn OFF your brain and just enjoy the spectacle.

Idk what’s happening this comment section but I do know that Merlin is hitting DIFFERENT😫

Thanks for the chapter!
Well there goes the arena! MC really needs to learn the current world's common sense. That and have a private talk with Merlin sooner than later instead of lying about his identity. If I remember correctly only top class mages can do a lvl 4-5 spell alone and yet he did a lvl 6 chantlessly. This is just going to rev her up more and pull out the stops. Hence, I give whatever shields the arena has about two panels before getting destroyed along with the stage from their high class magics.

I mean is he even trying couple chapters back he's talking about not standing out but now he's chucking lvl 6 magic every manga is the same sigh

Dex-chan lover
"I want to hide my identity"
"I want to see how my disciple has grown, so I'll use pretty much forgotten spells chantless."
I can't decide whether the author is retarded or he's portraying the MC to be.

Users who are viewing this thread