Ranma 1/2 remake

Dex-chan lover

RANMA 1/2 is getting an anime remake due out Oct 5th of this year in Japan, and will be picked up by Netflix at some point as well.

This is a thread to discuss it or post your own news on this title. Either about the original series, or the new one! 😉

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
<- In case it's not entirely obvious, I have a soft spot for this series. I am looking forward to this very much, particularly in light of the excellent job that was done with Urusei Yatsura, and the trailer exceeds my expectations. Both the manga and the original anime were early acquisitions by Viz Media, and started English language release in the US for the manga in '92 and for the anime the following year. Hard to believe it's been that long.

However, I also have some concerns about how the overall premise is going to be received and discussed here in the west. I've already seen one article calling the work 'a surprisingly impactful trans allegory' (note who the author of the piece is!). I personally don't believe it's anything of the sort, and while I have no problem with someone else seeing that in the work, I don't want to have a bunch of extratextual interpretations getting thrown at me in discussions of the series/episodes like I fear is going to happen. (And as has already been pointed out elsewhere, Happosai is going to be a problem for a lot of people.) I'd rather just enjoy the series for what it is, a Takahashi romance with what look to be excellent fight scenes.

So let's hope the series is as much fun as I remember the source material being, and hopefully we can find a nice quiet corner of the board to take it at face value - as a new retelling of a classic work.

Dex-chan lover
<- In case it's not entirely obvious, I have a soft spot for this series. I am looking forward to this very much, particularly in light of the excellent job that was done with Urusei Yatsura, and the trailer exceeds my expectations. Both the manga and the original anime were early acquisitions by Viz Media, and started English language release in the US for the manga in '92 and for the anime the following year. Hard to believe it's been that long.

However, I also have some concerns about how the overall premise is going to be received and discussed here in the west. I've already seen one article calling the work 'a surprisingly impactful trans allegory' (note who the author of the piece is!). I personally don't believe it's anything of the sort, and while I have no problem with someone else seeing that in the work, I don't want to have a bunch of extratextual interpretations getting thrown at me in discussions of the series/episodes like I fear is going to happen. (And as has already been pointed out elsewhere, Happosai is going to be a problem for a lot of people.) I'd rather just enjoy the series for what it is, a Takahashi romance with what look to be excellent fight scenes.

So let's hope the series is as much fun as I remember the source material being, and hopefully we can find a nice quiet corner of the board to take it at face value - as a new retelling of a classic work.
Mmmhm.

I never saw the series as a trans allegory, and I am trans myself.

Having said that, almost anything in the genderbender category can be said to be that way or be seen as such.

I.e, in this instance it's not so much a case of the Mc, whether it's this series or any other; being trans themself, or having those kinds of thoughts or feelings, but rather the situation itself that is the allegory.

I didn't read that article you linked, so I'm not sure what the author there is saying. But generally with this type of genre, it has to do with being a gender you don't want to be. In this case, Ranma doesn't want to be a female but becomes that way against his will in many cases, and that troubles him. And that is for lack of a better term gender dysphoria. Not like it is with real life trans peeps obv, as in this instance it's due to a super natural curse. But nevertheless, there you have it.

Im not a leftie myself, and dislike a lot about woke politics. But I dont think that's the case with this. Genderbender stuff is going to almost always have some themes and motifs that overlap with trans themes, since in many cases they are essentially the same thing. How people interpret that will be up to them I suppose. 😅

I dont think Ranma 1/2 is a good example of this though. It really only uses the genderswap as a running gag, and it never seriously explored the gender issues involved. Ranma was also not very bothered by it...probably because he could switch back so easily.

I think its a really good series either way. I'm very much looking forward to it's release here in the west.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I didn't read that article you linked, so I'm not sure what the author there is saying.
What I quoted was basically it. He used to write for Kotaku before they imploded, and like a number of their content generators, had a habit of ticking boxes unnecessarily.
It really only uses the genderswap as a running gag, and it never seriously explored the gender issues involved.
THIS. It's just a plot device, not an attempt to make a statement of any kind.

I also think it's neat that so many of the original voice actors are coming back for this, and if the trailer music is representative, the soundtrack should be awesome.

Dex-chan lover
Since I love the style of the 90s and the lack of censorship when I watched it several times for now I still prefer the old version. I'll watch of course the new one even if there's a noticeable different way of narrating things, the only thing that ticks me off is when they use computer colouring/shading for certain scenes, it breaks the continuity of the episode. I always loved genderbending and I loved Ramna 1/2 because of this, it was never something presumptuous but there are things I've never seen mentioned in later series, that's why I consider the old version a classic and I recommend it to anyone who wants to watch 90s animation. I for instance never liked the end of the anime, but I never stopped smiling at the series and it was never a stop to rewatch it. At least when it comes to action I hope it lives up to our expectations.

Dex-chan lover
hmm

I've never watched/read ranma 1/2 and I don't think I ever will

but I think I can appreciate the effort that these people will go to remake it, even if a lot of things might have to change

but what do I know, I didn't read/watch ranma 1/2

Users who are viewing this thread