Rapunzel

Double-page supporter
I've just reported request for correcting the tags…
Add: "Horror". Change: "Yuri" to "Shoujo Ai", "Philosophical" to "Psychological".

Double-page supporter
@allyeeee Mmmm...
Shoujo-Ai: less "extreme" intimate relationships, Yuri: more extreme intimate relationships.
It is the tag originally put in the MangaUpdates.com page when the English translation here was first published 7 years ago before.
MangaUpdates.com also shows author doing only two Shoujo-Ais.

This one's magazine was not put honestly, but the other one's was put and it publishes mostly Shoujo-Ais, so I think it is safe to say Shoujo-Ai is the audience tag indeed.

Fed-Kun's army
@exxp Huh, I've found that a lot of people argue that shoujo-ai is unused in Japan to define any genres, with Yuri being used for everything sexual or not sexual. In fact, I'd probaby believe that more. Each to their own, though.

Double-page supporter
@allyeeee Yeah, I've found that too, and I'd believe that more too….
Few also argue against that, but not me. I've yet to be certain by myself though.

Anyways, magazines that mostly publish "Shoujo-Ais", are "demographically" bounded, you guess what follows that….
Yuri also tends to be more of mature…. (or ecchi to adult, etc.) I believe there is a distinction around this.
We follow genre systems like Baka-Updates Manga's anyway.

@allyeeee and @exxp - The problem is that the term "Shoujo-Ai" is not actually used in Japan as a term for manga with love between women. Yuri is an official genre of manga referring to content with love, of all sorts, between women. The confusion comes from the other side of the coin: Yaio/BL manga. In that genre, there IS a sub-genre called Shounen Ai that is defined as stories that are more "pure" where there is no actual sex involved. However, the term "Shoujo Ai" was already being used for something else in manga so it is NOT used as a sub-genre of Yuri. What it iS used for is Hentai about ADULT MEN having sex with GIRLS. (SHOUJO (girl) AI (love)). From what I understand, the ENGLISH phrase "Girl's Love" is actually used in some cases for yuri stories that are more of a romantic nature, but it is unnecessary. Yuri is yuri.

In any case, that is the reason you will find that some people will be offended when they see the "Shoujo Ai" tag.

Fed-Kun's army
@zensunni42 i... don't know why you wrote this. we came to a conclusion that doesn't portray anyone as guilty, and as rude as it sounds, your input doesn't make much sense either being roundabout and more rambling in some form of getting your stresses out over a minor problem

@allyeeee - I was just providing information since it seemed, from what had been posted here, people were somewhat aware that the term was not used in Japan but not why it might be found offensive. There are sites that don't use the tag at all (Dynasty Reader being the one I'm most familiar with. It is almost exclusively yuri manga and the forums there tend to get unruly if people use the term. But, then again, the forums there tend to get unruly over a lot of things...)

Users who are viewing this thread