[Reader] Failed loading images after clicking "click to retry"

Dex-chan lover
Screenshot_20230522_211829_Opera.jpg

See that images? Sometimes I got a bad loading chapters like this, when this happen it's almost impossible to reload.

Clicking that red "click to retry" is no use. Refresh the page? Closing the tab? Even closing the browser and reopen it again? No use.. That big red click to retry still appears.

I hope developer can resolve that one. Browsing from mobile browser

Solution
If you're seeing click to retry, it means you've failed to load the chapter images from two separate sources and failed the first auto-retry, so something is wrong.

You need to be able to access "uploads.mangadex.org" and "*.mangadex.network" to use MD, and those may be being inconsistently blocked.

Try a VPN like Cloudflare Warp - if this fixes the issue, there's something wrong with your routing to MD.
I had this same issue back in April and my observations were the exact same as @olivetho . Issue disappeared after 4-5 days, here's a timeline of events as they took place:
  • 11 April - I started facing the issue and assumed it was due to a site update, reloading the page a dozen times loaded images so I didn't pry into it further.
  • 12 April - It's still there and no one's talking about it, maybe it's a me problem so I try clearing cache and other troubleshooting shit. I notice that it persists across browsers and devices, "fuck my ISP" is what came to mind, so I tried a different ISP and the issue doesn't exist with them.
  • 13 April - After ascertaining that it's a network issue I look at my network activity and notice that images load like normal when I'm connected to the mangadex.network domain. So I deduce that my ISP is having connection issues with that domain. This wasn't surprising to me because my ISP had a 2 day internet outage due to their servers literally melting 2 months ago.
  • 14 April - I encountered connection issues on another site (it was either youtube or pixiv), this was when I contacted my ISP and shared details regarding the issues I as facing.
  • 15 April - I still had the 'failed loading' issue in the morning, then there was a 2-3 hour city-wide internet outage around noon time after which the issue disappeared and I haven't faced it since.
I'm 1000% sure I had the same issue as everyone else is describing above and I'm also 99.99% sure that it's an issue with your ISP. There does exist a .0000001% chance that my case was an extreme coincidence and mangadex has the weirdest bug in the history of the internet.

Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer
First, thanks a lot for the very detailed report, and while it might not be the case for everyone affected, running MD has certainly opened my eyes as to how often ISPs themselves have issues, and this is nice confirmation.
Hopefully the other affected users will also see resolution on their end soon if not already.

This wasn't surprising to me because my ISP had a 2 day internet outage due to their servers literally melting 2 months ago.
😆

Dex-chan lover
I had this same issue back in April and my observations were the exact same as @olivetho . Issue disappeared after 4-5 days, here's a timeline of events as they took place:
  • 11 April - I started facing the issue and assumed it was due to a site update, reloading the page a dozen times loaded images so I didn't pry into it further.
  • 12 April - It's still there and no one's talking about it, maybe it's a me problem so I try clearing cache and other troubleshooting shit. I notice that it persists across browsers and devices, "fuck my ISP" is what came to mind, so I tried a different ISP and the issue doesn't exist with them.
  • 13 April - After ascertaining that it's a network issue I look at my network activity and notice that images load like normal when I'm connected to the mangadex.network domain. So I deduce that my ISP is having connection issues with that domain. This wasn't surprising to me because my ISP had a 2 day internet outage due to their servers literally melting 2 months ago.
  • 14 April - I encountered connection issues on another site (it was either youtube or pixiv), this was when I contacted my ISP and shared details regarding the issues I as facing.
  • 15 April - I still had the 'failed loading' issue in the morning, then there was a 2-3 hour city-wide internet outage around noon time after which the issue disappeared and I haven't faced it since.
I'm 1000% sure I had the same issue as everyone else is describing above and I'm also 99.99% sure that it's an issue with your ISP. There does exist a .0000001% chance that my case was an extreme coincidence and mangadex has the weirdest bug in the history of the internet.
it usually only happens when i'm connected via mobile data, but never on wifi. i assumed that it was just due to my wifi being several times faster than mobile data is at its best, though going off what you're saying it might also be due them using different ISPs. i have no way of isolating the variables though, so i might never know for sure.

I'll put in my two cents, since I've been experiencing this problem for about a month.
The retry button really does not work, however for me it never worked, even in the first versions of mangadex 5 years ago, but the page reload always worked.
But since the beginning of May, pushing F5 stopped working almost completely.

What i dug up:
1) First of all, congratulations to all Russian users, mangadex was banned in Russia, again..., [/rant on] because the site administration allows access for unregistered users (checked from incognito with vpn) to view loli hentai (this always triggers moralistic bureaucrats)[/rant off]. Last time it was in summer or autumn, but then somewhere at the beginning of this year the site was unblocked (links due to which the site was banned became 404), now from May 5 it happened again
specific links to banned images here: https://reestr.rublacklist.net/en/?q=mangadex.org
many probably didn’t even noticed that the site was unbanned and continue to use vpn or proxy browser extensions, but before there were no such problems even when the site was blocked, images were always loaded, albeit slowly
[*i still think the reason is related to the recent website update*]

2) somehow the browser caches an empty\error page and loads it from disk without making a new request to load the image.

pushing retry button does nothing:

3) reloading the page 5-10 times sometimes works and the full reloading of all the images starts, sometimes, even after the FULL reloading, it rolls back to the state when the same images have the same error and were not loaded (I think these are some browser shenanigans) and after another F5 it's fixes again (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

4) resetting the browser cache works, all images start loading, but then the lottery starts whether the images that were loaded before will be loaded or not.
using data-safe mode changes the url of the images and accordingly they start downloading instead of loading from the disk cache, but in the same way some images may not load and we come to the same result.
it is worth noting that the heavier the images, the more likely it is that they will not load [*looks disapprovingly at groups that make the group credits images larger than all the chapter images combined*]

5) I have not seen a single request to * .mangadex.network, (I remember they were before, I don’t remember before version 5 or after) only uploads.mangadex.org, api and auth, how to FORCE browser to use *.mangadex.network domain?
Using "Port 443 for MangaDex@Home" doing nothing.
If i build node for MD network on my NAS, will that any help for this problem?

6) perhaps the browser does not like the mangadex cert
"Date of issue Friday, February 3, 2023 at 16:11:00
Expiration date Thursday, May 4, 2023 at 16:10:59"
or maybe it's just a coincidence, because uploads.mangadex cert is valid to july 2023

7) "Failed to find a valid digest in the 'integrity' attribute for resource 'https://uploads.mangadex.org/data/***/****.png' with computed SHA-256 integrity" error '***' and the "Unknown error occurred while trying to verify integrity"
in browser log, maybe this will help to understand what's going on

win10, chrome 114.0.5735.90

Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer
because the site administration allows access for unregistered users (checked from incognito with vpn) to view loli hentai
Alas we have to balance global perms with specific countries' regulations; and locking that behind being logged in even when using a direct link didn't seem fine to us. Maybe we can eventually review this again.

somehow the browser caches an empty\error page and loads it from disk without making a new request to load the image
In this case it makes sense, because it's an HTTP 200 (ie wasn't an error as far as caching goes). In other cases it wouldn't cache it.

resetting the browser cache works, all images start loading, but then the lottery starts whether the images that were loaded before will be loaded or not
This depends on the way it errored out. Usually it should fix it, but we'll see later down why it doesn't in your case

how to FORCE browser to use *.mangadex.network domain?
You can't; it's done based on various inputs and availability of MDAH bandwidth in your region
If i build node for MD network on my NAS, will that any help for this problem?
It might in many situations. However MD@H client registrations are closed currently for reasons we can't really publicly elaborate on.

perhaps the browser does not like the mangadex cert
"Date of issue Friday, February 3, 2023 at 16:11:00
Expiration date Thursday, May 4, 2023 at 16:10:59"
I don't know what is going on your end, but our cert is definitely not 1 month old, otherwise things would break for everyone 😅

Failed to find a valid digest in the 'integrity' attribute for resource
Yup so that's the main problem here; the image content wasn't as expected, and we have mechanisms to catch that and avoid displaying unexpected images to users. It could be:
  • on our end (the actual expected checksums we stored don't match the actual one; we had a handful of cases of this over the past 2 years), or
  • something on your end intercepting images and breaking them somehow; for example we know that the Avira browser extension straight up cuts out data off of responses, sometimes all of it too...

Please let us know the chapter in which this happen and I can double-check. Whichever of these it is, we did send the right response, so the file gets cached, and is why click to reload does nothing and refreshes also just reuse the cached copy.

I don't know what is going on your end, but our cert is definitely not 1 month old, otherwise things would break for everyone 😅

Yup so that's the main problem here; the image content wasn't as expected, and we have mechanisms to catch that and avoid displaying unexpected images to users. It could be:
  • on our end (the actual expected checksums we stored don't match the actual one; we had a handful of cases of this over the past 2 years), or
  • something on your end intercepting images and breaking them somehow; for example we know that the Avira browser extension straight up cuts out data off of responses, sometimes all of it too...

Please let us know the chapter in which this happen and I can double-check. Whichever of these it is, we did send the right response, so the file gets cached, and is why click to reload does nothing and refreshes also just reuse the cached copy.
About my problem, it's not with any particular chapter, it happens with all chapters with requests to upload.mangadex.
But you don’t have to bother with solving it, it's on my end :) this is the problem of the proxy extension i'm using working with the mangadex site.
Which worked great during the previous ban, then something has changed in the reader (or maybe in extenstion, who knows) for the period of November-May.
All other sites working through this extension work fine as before, so I won’t change anything for the sake of one site, I’m too lazy ¯\(ツ)

Fun fact: I checked about ~300 chapters(new and prev) in follows and in some I noticed some requests for the mangadex.network... so it can be assumed that there is still some node nearby, but it cannot load all chapters of all mangas that I read.

Fun fact 2:
checked again, dunno why this is happens, it says it valid and browser thinks all is ok, but here it is:
mangadex.org gives cert valid to may 4 2023
forums.mangadex.org gives cert valid to march 1 2023
api.mangadex.org gives cert valid to july 24 2023
uploads.mangadex.org gives cert valid to august 4 2023

Well, anyway, thanks for the support :)

Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer
I see... thanks for the extra details

All other sites working through this extension work fine as before, so I won’t change anything for the sake of one site, I’m too lazy ¯\(ツ)
Completely understandable yeah. I don't think many websites put as much emphasis on image correctness as we do, where a single bit of difference would get caught and prevent the image from being displayed...

checked again, dunno why this is happens, it says it valid and browser thinks all is ok, but here it is:
mangadex.org gives cert valid to may 4 2023
forums.mangadex.org gives cert valid to march 1 2023
api.mangadex.org gives cert valid to july 24 2023
uploads.mangadex.org gives cert valid to august 4 2023
That is incredibly bizarre indeed. Especially the part where the browser doesn't complain...

I get this issue too but it's rarely persistent. Usually hitting reload will work however sometimes no matter how many times I press it nothing happens. Refreshing the entire page usually fixes that issue but not always. It's most often only one or two pages but on rare occations it will be an entire chapter that won't load no matter what I try and will refuse to load for extended periods. I can switch to another manga for awhile still on this site and not experience any issues there. Some nights are far worse though and I end up having to give up and use another site or just continue reading the next day. During these times I am experiencing no connection problems to anythings else, not just websites. I don't know much about how all this internet connectivity works but since it's an issue solely with this site I can only assume you do something different that causes these intermittent problems, maybe even something as simple as user load I don't know. Just my own experience for you.

Otherwise the site is far better. I sometimes get slow load times but I don't know if that's the fault of the site or my ISP. Overall I'm happy with the improvements after getting used to them.

Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer
I don't know if that's the fault of the site or my ISP. Overall I'm happy with the improvements after getting used to them.
Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately it’s very difficult for us to diagnose and requires being quite technical on the end-user side.

Hopefully at some point we can make something easier for that… :(

Double-page supporter
It was doing one or two page at the start but recently entire chapters get "click to retry"-ed on every chapter.
Vpn's do not work, cloudflare doesn't even want to start up.
I'm able to access "uploads.mangadex.org" and "*.mangadex.network" without problems

What doesn't help is that some translators started inserting destroyed chapters,
which leads to other sites getting those corrupted chapters,
which results in reading them on other sites becoming impossible
as those other sites do not even bother fixing them at all.
I'm kinda getting a bit sad over this.

wish there was some sort of solution to this

Double-page supporter
What do you mean by this?
Like some pages being replaced with pages from completely different mangas/manhwas.

It doesn't happen in mangadex but the problem is, mangadex doesn't work for me unlike those other sites
and sadly those other sites are plagued by intentionally botched chapters
it is so widespread that there's even a term "yaoi jumpscare" as replacement pages are usually from yaoi of varying degree of exposure

Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer
Vpn's do not work, cloudflare doesn't even want to start up.
If that is the case, the issue is much bigger than MangaDex. You need to find out what is breaking your networking in general.

It doesn't happen in mangadex but the problem is, mangadex doesn't work for me unlike those other sites
and sadly those other sites are plagued by intentionally botched chapters
We understand your pain, but we're not going to try and fix other sites. You truly need to find out why your internet is broken.

Your mention that VPNs don't fix it suggest it's an issue on your device directly. Does it work on other devices? Maybe an antivirus gone rogue?

Dex-chan lover
I see this a lot too. I find that I can usually work around it with several refreshes in very rapid succession but it’s a real pain. Looks like I’m in the minority though… my ISP is pretty reliable afaik but likely this is on their end based on the comments here

Users who are viewing this thread