Reader - Vol. 1 Ch. 31 - 31

Dex-chan lover
Ugh why is this pretend to be raped so popular right now, its literally the worst plot device to read and IT. JUST. KEEPS. GETTING. USED over and over and over again.

So do we learn at some point that Pangea really isn't just a game and those living in it not just NPCs? Because it's just too weird we're still prentending that those people are simple programs - and how come the gamers don't seem to question any of this, are we really meant to think that technology just advenced to the point that AI is just that good now? ^^"

that’s so low, don’t do that man, that stuff shouldn’t be faked and used to move the plot

@Georg-Prime
That's the entire point of AI. To eventually become that good. The real question is: What are the ethics of basically enslaving what are effectively sapient beings merely to play out the role of NPCs in a video game?

Westworld plays with that concept. At some point what were supposed to be NPCs can become so intelligent that treating them like NPCs becomes a pretty scummy thing to do... Pangea doesn't have to be some sort of physically existant parallel world. Even if it's only a virtual reality. It's still real enough from the perspective of it's native virtual inhabitants.

(Hell for all we know our own "reality" could turn out to be some sort of simulation being run by higher order entities that consider us to be NPCs.)

Dex-chan lover
@Necrokora because it's a known technique that works irl.

At least in Japan (and I suppose some other Asian country) being accused of rape/molesting can get you in big trouble, whether the claim being true or false.

It's fast, easy to do and doesn't hurt the person who claim being molested.

Of course there can be punishment if the claim is proven wrong, but it takes time, can be biased and can still ruin the life of the true victim.

PS : this DOESN'T mean that all rape accusations are false or that we should not trust people who claim being raped.
Rape is to be taken seriously. For both side. Early judgments (which include mob judgments) should be avoided in these type of cases. But most of the time they aren't; which create really sad situations (for both sides).

@Aragonius42 don't worry I do understand the concept, my issue here is how the rest of their technology doesn't seem that much different from ours (for the little we saw), and the game is very new. Achieving this level of AI, in that situation, plus with how the 'developpers' are (we only have been seeing two guys, and they seem to simply monitor things), and how the quest system works (unique for most of them), NPCs' death seems permanant and none of them even give a hint of realizing they might be in a game... idk it just seems strange to me, and gives too much the vibe of an other world rather than a completely artificial virtual game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dex-chan lover
@Clad95150
It's fast, easy to do and doesn't hurt the person who claim being molested.
That's not actually the case. Well, except in cases like this where it's a conspiracy and you've got some authorities on your side setting it up. But in real life, certainly in North America and I understand in Japan too (which is after all a society both male chauvinistic as hell and very much against people rocking the boat and making trouble) the cops and the authorities are generally unhappy with and unsympathetic to women making rape complaints and treat them like shit, while defence lawyers are allowed to drag their name through the mud and make all sorts of what would normally be considered libellous accusations and comments about them on the public record. Actually going through with a rape or sexual assault charge is a way to make your life hell.
Of course if you just make an accusation on social media it's a bit different. But that too is quite the double edged sword; the accuser's online life is likely to be as badly trashed as the rapist's.

In the courts, I've heard one odd loophole is to instead accuse them of indecent exposure. Easier to prove, carries nearly the penalty in many jurisdictions, and once the guy gets to prison they get . . . a lot less respect . . . from the other inmates.

@Georg-Prime

Their technology seems a lot more advanced than ours to be honest. For a mere game alone they've implemented what seems to be full dive VR with complete sensory perception. I mean if I recall correctly the main character can even taste the bread in this game world. Which implies that this game is probably based on some sort of neural interface technology / is linking up directly to his brain to feed sensations into his mind and nervous system.

That implies that they understand way more than we do about the brain's architecture and functions. And if they understand the brain on a much greater level than we do then it's probably also significantly easier for them to develop programs like AI that can emulate it's functions.

I mean one our biggest hurdles IRL for creating artificial consciousness is that we currently don't really even understand how our own consciousness works / arises. But if these people have full dive VR neural interfaces then they have a lot more data to work with in regards to brain structures, functions, and the overall nature of consciousness.

@Aragonius42 ... obviously, I was not talking about the game itself nor the equipment used to play it (since that whole thing is part of what's weird) when I said "the rest of their technology". I'm talking about everything else, their school building, homes, furnitures, phones are nowadays smartphones, computers are exactly like ours etc. Also MC who love to read only read physical books and that's weird in itself, even someone like me who LOVES the feeling, do read on some type of device to have a more ractical and simply a greater number of things to read easily at any moment ; so it doesn't feel like some kind of far future, just a dude who's a bit behind technology-wise in a world like ours, in 201X .
And maybe I'm overthinking things again, and the original writer and the artist just didn't think things through.

Contributor
Merely 14 chapters after 3 months of waiting? The raws are at 105... this makes me sad... could anyone help hunlight pick up the pace?

Wait. Wait. I just read the novel so I jumped to the latest chapter but this stuff happens ch 70+ or something and this is just ch 31!? How much are they skipping??

Dex-chan lover
Wait wait wait! They are all NPCs right? Why did the developers made them move like that if there's NOONE that's looking at them? What for?

Users who are viewing this thread