Records of the Mystic Gardens - Ch. 41 - I won't hurt you

Body of tumultuous gold saved him there in the nick of time it seems. He's still as insane as ever!

Dex-chan lover
@Dropkick
I'm pretty sure it's implying that he felt the compliment was too forward and is flustered; he still got charmed.

wait did he manage to not revert and now is trying to play along or did he literally just become charmed again

Dex-chan lover
I have an inclination on how this b-plot could go:
He'll be under her control for a bit, but she'll show redeeming qualities and show more signs of being in love. However he will be released from the charm, she begs for forgiveness and explains how she was in love the entire time. Then he'll forgive her and maybe fall in love too, saying "you could have just asked".

Sort of like most b-plot romance arcs like this one, hopefully my expectations are subverted and the plot is deeper than this.

See that? That woman is dangerous
Who knows why she did that to MC, twice

Last time i met woman like that,, my spv got scolded cuz scandal

Dex-chan lover
@Legion_01
On the one hand, I agree. His psychopathic original self is bland and boring. Some authors manage to transcribe the charismatic danger of a psychopath, this one doesn't.
On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of abilities or items that instantly alter people's identities. And, by extension, stories that use these. It feels lazy because it means the author can just rewrite a character at any time without having to go through character growth and giving them reasons to change.

Here, it feels like the author wants the cold and calculating mental strength of a psychopath, without the emotionlessness that goes with it. Instead of writing a complex character that manages to blend these two traits, he makes the character jump from one to the other as he wants without actually putting the work of character growth.

This line of story could have been done better (in my opinion) by making changes more progressive in both directions or making the charm spell a permanent part of his personality, only showing his original cold traits through flashback.

I hope this time is just him faking it, and the two will come to some degree of understanding without resorting to instant brainwashing again. Basically, making gradual changes instead of a lazy instant one again. After all, she doesn't seem to have ill intent towards him, so he could accept her - to some extent - when he realizes this.

Dex-chan lover
Would you look at that! A wuxia author who doesn't baby his readers with false cliffhangers and instant gratification every step of the way. It almost like we've got an actual story here. What a marvel.

The shota is so cute when he's under the charm spell, and I think she genuineky likes him.. hmm... o3o

@Wyrm Agreed. behavior change that fast is lazy writing. Just my 2 cents, the psycho MC got old in like 2 chaps, it has no depth. The "mesmerized" version is more promising.

Users who are viewing this thread