Red Blue - Vol. 3 Ch. 27 - One Hell of a Debut

Dex-chan lover
I don’t know why, but I just can’t understand the main characters hatred for Kenshin. It would be one thing if Kenshin was supposed to be a representation for toxic positivity but I just don’t see it.

Dex-chan lover
I don’t know why, but I just can’t understand the main characters hatred for Kenshin. It would be one thing if Kenshin was supposed to be a representation for toxic positivity but I just don’t see it.
I don’t think it’s a story quite as deep as that, Kenshin is just supposed to be a typical outgoing member of the “cool kid” clique - an extrovert and highly patronising at that. Our protagonist represents practical introverts or similar, a vessel for us to project ourselves into, and the story capitalises on our dislike of patronisation and perhaps jealousy of success, natural talent, and popularity. If you don’t relate with the protagonist in quite that way then you may not enjoy the story as much. You should remember that manga are made in mind of a Japanese demographic, by a Japanese author with Japanese cultural sensibilities.

Dex-chan lover
I don’t think it’s a story quite as deep as that, Kenshin is just supposed to be a typical outgoing member of the “cool kid” clique - an extrovert and highly patronising at that. Our protagonist represents practical introverts or similar, a vessel for us to project ourselves into, and the story capitalises on our dislike of patronisation and perhaps jealousy of success, natural talent, and popularity. If you don’t relate with the protagonist in quite that way then you may not enjoy the story as much. You should remember that manga are made in mind of a Japanese demographic, by a Japanese author with Japanese cultural sensibilities.
OK, I can understand(but not really relate to)the childish jealousy of success and talent but how was he patronizing though? Aoba is the one who swings on him first for no reason and spent most of his early life doing nothing.

All Kenshin does is win matches, give his honest opinion, share the spotlight with a friend, stop a textbook bully, and reps his gym. Not sure how being Japanese would make this make sense considering how many extroverted personalities exist over there

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
OK, I can understand(but not really relate to)the childish jealousy of success and talent but how was he patronizing though? Aoba is the one who swings on him first for no reason and spent most of his early life doing nothing.

All Kenshin does is win matches, give his honest opinion, share the spotlight with a friend, stop a textbook bully, and reps his gym. Not sure how being Japanese would make this make sense considering how many extroverted personalities exist over there
It's been a while since I binged this story so I can't fully remember the extent of its content, but there was one instance that I do recall in Chapter 1 where he asked Aoba 'Don't you feel really empty?', 'You always seem kinda sad, you could use a good dose of joy', etc. In any case, if you're not a fan of what you're reading then you can always drop the story.

Yes, there are tons of extroverted personalities in Japan just as there are anywhere, but they're usually not the ones buying isekai light novels, manga, or anime. There's a reason that they became such a ubiquitous genre within Japanese media. And they're who this manga is targeting, at least to an extent. That is my understanding of it at least, I'm no expert of course so it's just an amateurish analysis.

Double-page supporter

Kenshin doesn't do anything that's outright snobby, it's more a combination of his attitude rubbing Aoba the wrong way (understandably - I think Kenshin is supposed to come across as quite obnoxious to a lot of the people he interacts with because he's so corny and so overbearing) and Aoba finding his immense self-confidence absolutely crushing to be around. Someone so absolutely secure in who they are at a very young age is very unusual and Aoba - who has a fairly weak and impressionable sense of self - likely found that incredibly galling

I think if Kenshin was more obviously hostile in some way it would have been easier for Aoba to write him off, Kenshin not giving Aoba those easy excuses essentially lets him act as a challenge to Aoba's very mundane way of life

Dex-chan lover
Kenshin doesn't do anything that's outright snobby, it's more a combination of his attitude rubbing Aoba the wrong way (understandably - I think Kenshin is supposed to come across as quite obnoxious to a lot of the people he interacts with because he's so corny and so overbearing) and Aoba finding his immense self-confidence absolutely crushing to be around. Someone so absolutely secure in who they are at a very young age is very unusual and Aoba - who has a fairly weak and impressionable sense of self - likely found that incredibly galling

I think if Kenshin was more obviously hostile in some way it would have been easier for Aoba to write him off, Kenshin not giving Aoba those easy excuses essentially lets him act as a challenge to Aoba's very mundane way of life
Perfectly articulates it.

Dex-chan lover
Perfectly articulates it.

Thank you for taking the time to break this down for me. I really appreciate this new perspective because honestly, I was really confused by his motivation for a while there and only stick around because I love MMA

Dex-chan lover
It's been a while since I binged this story so I can't fully remember the extent of its content, but there was one instance that I do recall in Chapter 1 where he asked Aoba 'Don't you feel really empty?', 'You always seem kinda sad, you could use a good dose of joy', etc. In any case, if you're not a fan of what you're reading then you can always drop the story.

Yes, there are tons of extroverted personalities in Japan just as there are anywhere, but they're usually not the ones buying isekai light novels, manga, or anime. There's a reason that they became such a ubiquitous genre within Japanese media. And they're who this manga is targeting, at least to an extent. That is my understanding of it at least, I'm no expert of course so it's just an amateurish analysis.
Same to you. Your explanation was just as helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread