Reiwa no Dara-san - Vol. 3 Ch. 24

Dex-chan lover
i don't know, but maybe kaoru's shirt on credit page are hololive marine reference, since(if i'm not wrong) the text roughly translated into "ridiculous ass size idol pirates", do correct me if i'm wrong though

Dex-chan lover
Well, about that... While it hasn't happened canonically, it has been depicted, you just need to know where to look for it.
Worth looking up, if not for the action, then for the comedic elements.

Dex-chan lover
I do wonder. Are gods bound to the earth a thing in Japanese culture? If so, that god of the sea must be slumbering now.

I do hope the kid doesn't turn into a cultist and forcefully wake it up. Nobody wants to be forced out of their bed for no immediate reason to do so.

Shinto gods come in two forms (at least the native ones do): Amatsugami (sky deities) and Kunitsugami (land/country deities). The Amatsugami are the ones worshipped by the imperial and noble houses and are the "national" gods, while the Kunitsugami are local smaller deities worshipped by the people of the land, the salt of the earth. Under the official mythology (the Kojiki and the Nihon Shoki), the Kunitsugami are all bound to their land after they were conquered by the Amatsugami in the War of Descent.

Fed-Kun's army
y1Nz2XjR_200x200.png

Aggregator gang
I do wonder. Are gods bound to the earth a thing in Japanese culture? If so, that god of the sea must be slumbering now.

I do hope the kid doesn't turn into a cultist and forcefully wake it up. Nobody wants to be forced out of their bed for no immediate reason to do so.
The way it was explained to me was that most land gods not related to Izanagi and Izanami were roaming demons that got beat by heroes/exorcist (?), and they were imprisoned so they are land-locked (?). Then the prayers made to appease them are what made them into gods that have power over that land

Dex-chan lover
The way it was explained to me was that most land gods not related to Izanagi and Izanami were roaming demons that got beat by heroes/exorcist (?), and they were imprisoned so they are land-locked (?). Then the prayers made to appease them are what made them into gods that have power over that land

This is the Christian-based understanding of the Nihon Shoki and Kojiki that European scholars developed in the 18th-19th centuries. It's based on a backwards reading of the War of Descent where they try to equate it with the Christian War in Heaven narrative (think Paradise Lost). In their reading, the defeated Kunitsugami are depicted as rebels (therefore demons) against the power of the "legitimate" Amatsugami gods.

In actuality, the way the Japanese themselves read it is the other way around. The Japanese consider the Kunitsugami as the original legitimate gods of their ancestors and the Amatsugami as usurpers from the beyond.

This was very hard for Europeans to understand because in the official mythology the Amatsugami were the creator gods, the equal of the Judeo-Christian Yahweh. What they missed was that, in the Japanese understanding, the Yamato dynasty that claims descent from the Amatsugami themselves claimed to have been invaders to the Japanese isles (they weren't, but "invader mythology" is common among ruling classes in many civilizations). Therefore, the imperial claim to legitimacy was based on conquest, and likewise the imperial gods' claim to legitimacy was based on conquest rather than the creation myth.

Alternatively, whoever told you this may be talking about the specific case of "pacified" gods like Dara-san. However, this is actually a Chinese Daoist belief transferred to Japan in the Tang era. In Chinese Daoist/Buddhist belief system, demons and monsters can be pacified by enshrining them as gods and "cultivating" them (in Dao) or making them collect good karma (in Buddhism). The best example for this belief is the Monkey King and his friends, the demonic disciples of Tang Sanzang. However, these aren't the original divinities bound to the land that feature in native Japanese mythology. Those are Kunitsugami. There may be some confusion because the Kunitsugami are often depicted as monstrous animals, but that isn't because they're demons. It's really because they may originally have been deified animals or other natural phenomena when originally worshipped by the ancient Japanese culture, like the kamui of today's Ainu. As shown in this manga, usually pacified demon-gods are tied to their shrine, not specifically their land. That's why separate Yamatagi Madaras rule over the two sides of the mountain. The shrines are separated, not the land.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
For a second this series went Mieruko-chan Route, you know fighting and destroying evil spirits... no i want more of that please!

Dex-chan lover
So, would someone gain powers if they were to eat one of Dara's fingers?

She ate Dara's tongue holy shit

Users who are viewing this thread