Release That Witch - Ch. 23 - Man's Romance

Dex-chan lover
IIRC, the early firearms' advantage wasn't that they outperformed the bow and arrow (they didn't), but that it was very easy to train levies to use them, so you could get a lot of riflemen as opposed to a few archers. So I don't know what he's hoping to achieve by taking 4 presumably elite hunters and turning them into beginner riflemen...

Dex-chan lover
@AlmondMagnum
Presumably the hunters can atleast kill normal if not demonized beasts, right?
But they should have some trouble with demonized, because I think their hide/skin was tougher.

Contributor
@AlmondMagnum @Robbini

Early firearm tactics commonly used the combination of pikemen and firearms.

Squares of pikemen could protect a force of slow-loading arquebusiers or matchlock men while they loaded…. Then the gunners came to the front, let loose, and retreated back into the “square” of pike-armed soldiers to load again.

Ok I have to ask, what kind of engineer is this guy? First I thought he was a mechanical one due to steam engine, then chemical one due to cement, now he knows about explosives, and ballistics?

So he is knowledgeable in:

-Applied mathematics
-Chemistry
-Physics

@AlmondMagnum By using fire arms to save the people from the beasts they fear so much he is doing a heck of a job advertising its effectiviness to both the soldiers and regular people. Firearms are also easy to use, you don't need to train years to be good at it compared to a bow, they are a small village in the sticks, they don't have talented bowman in abundance like a central city or kingdom would have.

@kurosa He is a mechanical engineer. I agree, he definitively looks like he knows way too much in detail of many different subjects.

Dex-chan lover
@kurosa
Yes, muskets weren't really used large scale in battles in Europe before Tercio Squares were a thing, and then it was maybe 1/4 of the formation that had muskets (I think?) Before that they would've had arquebusiers on smaller scales, but due to the gunpowder they couldn't stand too close to eachother due to the danger (or atleast that's what I read somewhere)

Tercios dominated the european battlefield for... 100-200 years ? Something like that I think. But then Gustavus Adolphus came up with the swedish idea of line formation, which essentially meant they could have more muskets facing the enemy at the same time, compared to tercios in the same amount of area. I'm not really sure about the ratios for the swedish troops, but their tactics were very offensive. Get close enough for a volley, fire, then charge.

Though the development of firearms had a hand in the development of tactics to use them, I can't say which 'era' of tactics had which type of musket. Nor can I recognize the musket in this chapter for which particular type it is, which could explain which time in european military history you could compare it to and consider the tactics used then.
@AlmondMagnum
We can assume the firearms do more damage than bow, okay ? And we can assume they make more noise than bows, right ? Both of which would prove useful against demonic beasts

A big question also is whether it truly is a rifle, or a musket and the TL didn't know the importance of the difference.

Group Leader
>demons are coming to kill us all and we have barely enough time to prepare

I think I'll cover the surface of my prototype gun with artistic scrollwork.

@Vman just being a flintlock does not determine it being a musket or rifle at all. being the barrel be rifled or not does(which we cant see in the drawing)

Fed-Kun's army
Am I missing something? I thought gunpowder and firearms were already present in this world... Chapter 1 has a cannons to represent the military power of the Prince's sister.

@omnilynx ahah to be fair it's a simple cannon with no decoration in the novel, i guess the manga change it to keep with the style of the drawing, but yes it's stupid, it's sad by the way because it's was fun to imagine the manga combine multiple style of different area in the same pannel, seem like he will just adapt everything to one style,

PREPARE TO BEHOLD THE PUNK STEAM ENGINE ARISTOCRATIE

Fed-Kun's army
@Zirconium_Corporation that's just the artist putting in pirate like things. in the wn they know about "gunpowder" by some other name and the mixture they use isn't very explosive and only good for fireworks and such (which I guess mirror's chinese history?)

@AlmondMagnum You're so right. The biggest value of the early guns ironically means the guns are actually for use of the "unreliable" patrol soldiers rather than the skilled hunters.

Though at the same time, that depiction of the soldiers of the end of the chapter are drawn looking so incompetent that they look like the type that would frantically fumble their guns in an attack, finally get one shot out, but only into the back of a comrade, then finally die.

@Vman It's obviously a flintlock, but rifled flintlocks are a thing, although rarer; him referring to the gun as a rifle implies that it is indeed rifled, but rifled flintlocks are first of all more difficult to produce, and secondly the loading requires you to ram the bullet into the barrel with enough force to engage the rifling, making the loading way harder and more time consuming.

Users who are viewing this thread