Release That Witch - Ch. 232 - Public Chemistry Class

Someone remind me; what exactly was this guy again? And... did he used to have perfect memory or did remembering his past/other life grant him infinite acess to all his memories. He is wayyy to knowledgeable on every subject to just be some civil engineer

Well technically the stuff he going over are part of an engineer degree but we don't really have a full backstory to his life... Yet.. ... I forgot if they say it in adaption or not but he did have alot of trial and error to even make blackpowder weapons

Dex-chan lover
@monoreposo
In the first chapter, he says he was an Engineer who made blueprints. He doesn't have perfect memory, and there's already been some scenes where he's struggled to remember things, though with how long this story is, it's hard to track them down.

Later on, he'll gain better access to his memories through magic, which lets him complete the intermediate level textbooks.

Yeah, he was an engineer. He knows the basics of chemistry because of modern uni and high school classes, but doesn't know in depth of how the processes are used; He is specifically not a chemist which is why he hired Kyle Sichi in the first place, someone that is interested in chemistry and can learn chemistry via trial and error after guiding him and his team on the right path with his modern knowledge of the basics of chemistry while he focuses on building up the empire.

@dr_harnsaft Short answer, no. Nothing like mustard gas. They do pull up a couple things that are hella devastating though in the far future.

@icekatze @magus0
But thats the thing... he is an "engineer", not a chemist.
Idk what he was an "engineer" of, but his working knowledge and memory of chemistry seems way to great for a simple civil or mechanical engineer. And not just of the chemical mixtures and properties themselves, but specifically of the methods to produce the chemicals.

I can get him knowing about different metal compositions and how to make cement. That much is rather universal. Most acids are named (commercially) after their chemical composition, so knowing that is reasonable as well.
But.... knowing how to build a factory to produce it?
I would convince myself its because he worked in that field. That perhaps he even was contracted for such things in the past.
But... he also designed a bridge, barge, and guns.... this is knowledge and proficiency in at least 1 too many engineering fields for me to write it off as just related side hobbies.

This is completely ignoring his upper management and ruling capabilities, which we have to assume he got from, as Tilly might say, the utterly useless brother......

Point is, he is too much of an jack of all trades. Even if we assume he had a doctorate and was a very capable rocket scientist, his lack of practical knowledge of things that he hadn't needed to do himself before should be biting him somewhere. But he is a freaking military general king of architectural, civil, mechanical, and weapons engineering, who happens to be a very capable teacher btw.

I'm not asking for him to dump his head in a bucket of acid because he doesn't know what it will do. But give him a weakness god dammit! Like... Be fundamentally wrong just once and let Tilly, an actual genius who happens to be completely pointless rn, point out his mistakes.

Right now his only flaws seem like "I am such a nice guy that everyone loves and the perfect hubby! I can't watch you die. I will saves you and get hurtz instead" and "my past self is sleezy. but he ded now"....

In short... I really, really want him to make a fundamental mistake bc he is too freaking perfect as is. Preferably a mistake due to his supposed half-baked knowledge, which he seems to have a perfect grasp on

@monoreposo Its only gonna get worse, i even dropped the web novel at around ch ~800 for this reason and you where looking for another engineer word its called Chemical Engineer wich is how to make chemical reactions bigger and usefull in a factory.

Double-page supporter
I have forgotten all my highschool chemistry class. If I get sent there, I'll just die at the first monster attack.

@monoreposo

Actually, you learn a lot about chemistry when you go to engineering. The nomenclature, the bases of the reactions between molecules, the principles to which the atoms respond. This is more than enough to allow another more competent individual to delve into the subject until it becomes useful.

We all learn this at the same time as the basics of biology, mathematics, ethics, politics, physics, mathematics, computer science and more mathematics.
This is all part of the general training that precedes engineering training.

@Singul4r Please tell me what type of engineer your referring to. I know we all learn it, but the vast majority of this knowledge is not needed in most fields. "Engineer" is way too brood of a term and does not refer to any type of job alone (which I fear the author might not know).

The only thing I feel confident we know about this guys past job was that it involved blueprints. Boats and bridges I can sort of accept. Weapons bc everyone is a weapons fanatic. But... a chemical factory?
Not just knowing what chemicals he needs, but knowing how to synthesis them?
No, that is what I cannot accept. He may not know what chemicals he needs, the methods used to acquire them, and how to construct the tools necessary to safely do so.
Having this amount of knowledge is NOT 1 man's job, and definitely not the job of some mechanical engineer. His knowledge is wide enough to oversee the whole operation (raw material identification and acquisition, refining, designing, construction, testing...), and detailed/specific enough to design it all from scratch nearly by himself with others just smoothing it out and filling in small details (like what temperature, how much pressure, exact ratio) via trial and error.

I do not feel like he was supposed to be an ingenious engineer (IIRC, he claims to have been average) of who knows what field, but his capacity right now says otherwise and then some.

I'm not saying 1 person definitively cannot do this with/without modern technology (like a computer to look up basic info on all these completely unrelated fields. At this point we have to assume he was a genius and the university he went to was for geniuses so he felt avg), but they cannot do it this well and this fast. He needs more hiccups bc he is moving faster than Lightning with a brain much smaller than Tilly and Anne. Yet, for some reason, it seems he already has a general grasp of everything (which he could not possibly have from past work experience in this many fields, in every aspect of each field)

To be clear, I am not complaining because he knows how to extract crap out of the air. I'm complaining because what he is about to do with it, stacked on top of everything else he has done already.

Double-page supporter
For late story he gonna use dreamworld to get the advanced knowledge no need for memories when he can access to the modern world. Remember japanese isekai know how to build a well. And being good at high school help for basic chemistry for the 18 first chemical. The rest he delegate to the Alchemist to fill the rest.

Double-page supporter
@monoreposo
Now obviously the novel is more detailed, so they're glossing over some things by necessity here. No there are definitely big holes in his knowledge. Even the periodic table he wrote down is missing things. As is he'd probably fail High School Chemistry, let alone what he probably took (and forgot much of) in College. Also he isn't relying solely on his own knowledge, but delegating the responsibility unto others. He doesn't know how to do absolutely everything. For that there is taking time to think and figure it out, trial and error. Thus prior memory of everything isn't necessarily required.

Just a small example - I don't have a prior memory of the results of 165574929 x 2289354. I also can't do that in my head, but give me only a pen and paper and I'll solve it easily. You don't need to know all the answers from the start just as long as you know how to solve the problems step-by-step. Thanks to his position, he has the time to think and solve problems. He also has people to help him do things, or devote their own time to solving the problems (delegation).

Designing a reasonable bridge is something I think any engineer could do (had they enough free time), although a bridge engineer would obviously be better at it. Hell if the requirements of the bridge where not too demanding, even I could do it (not sure how long mine would last) and I'm no engineer. Math... lots of math. An idea of the material strength and the forces it will need to deal with. Thermal expansion/contraction, wind, the weight it would need to carry, etc. It isn't easy, but it could be done. It could be done quite a lot better if you had prior knowledge/experience in the specific field of course. And even in that world, it isn't like he built the world's first bridge. There likely are even books about it in the nearby city he controls, though those probably don't mention steel frame bridges but should still be helpful as a starting point.

Lastly leadership - the previous prince was a useless person, yes. But he no doubt got taught lessons by very capable teachers. Maybe he didn't understand (or care) how to apply the lessons, but they are there in his memory. Plus I don't think it is odd to have a general idea of how societies function - especially as a modern person with access to mankind's collective knowledge at my finger tips. I do plenty of reading about various subjects just to kill time. And of course there is even general education where you're taught a variety of subjects - whether or not you're paying attention and committing them to memory is another matter. If you find absorbing new knowledge as interesting and rewarding (as I do), then it isn't strange at all. If you understand the general principal of a thing, you can use time and effort to figure out the finer details.

But back to leadership specifically, that too is something you can sit down, think about, and practice. In the beginning, Barov especially was doing all the work for him. I think they glossed over/skipped this too, but after waking up in that body, one of the early things others noticed was different was when he actually requested to go look over various reports. And at first he really did have a hard time wrapping his head around it all. He put in time and effort to get good at it... not a Gary Sue situation. But watching his go over reports daily isn't interesting, so the story isn't spending time on that. Teaching people things? I don't think he's good at it at all. Rather I think he's terrible at it. He isn't making things relatable at all and as a result only a few people understand things the way he puts them. Luckily he has people better at it than him.

Perhaps the problems you have come from the abbreviated nature of this adaption, and in that case I'd suggest reading the novels.

Dex-chan lover
Anyone know what chapter this is in the novel? Obviously there's other sites that has this 7 chapters ahead but I'm fine starting from this chapter in the novel.

Users who are viewing this thread