Release That Witch - Ch. 87 - The Spring Breeze of Reform Blows

Dex-chan lover
@tigerstar186
@ everyone who dont mind learning some history about poop

Humans have a vastly different food processing system and diets then most animals and as a result our poop is alot diffrent and ALOT harder to use safely.
Manure is made from animal poop, usually cows.
Fertilizers made from human poop are usually called "night soil" as far as i know.

Now while you are correct that are records of people using human poop as fertiliser is correct, the act of doing so is kinda risky as there is A LOT of infections that can spread from it.
The way we prevent this is by composting the poop until hopefully all the bacteria dies off from the heat generated by composting (it gets so hot it starts to smoke and can cause fires).
This was allready invented back in the roman empire so there is still around 2000 years back so it's still not a revolutionary invention.
The thing is tho, the romans were not nearly as good as we are today at it. So even back then it was not a perfect method so what poop you used matherd a lot if you did not want to die.
The act of composting was not perfected until the 1900 where we could start to use basically any poop we wanted as before you had to select only the best poop from the healthiest of animals to prevent sickness.
Our own poop also spreads diseases alot better then animals for the simple reason that the bacteria who survives on the poop is targeted towards humans alot more then those on some random animal poop ( unless they are pigs )
This is why we still dont use human poop alot in modern agriculture and why it fell out of favour back when we started living in larger urban zones.
Out of fear from massive epidemics. we use them, but not alot and animal poop was just the safer option.
So while there might be someone out in this world who use human poop fertilizer, he is upgrading the method of doing so towards the 1900, a bit like how he made better wall building methods with his concrete witch is as old as some medieval castles.
Also they are nobles, they don't need to care about how stuff is made, they just need to be happy and consume it.
Its not like everyone today knows how we take care of our own poop we flush down the toilet.
If you told someone today that the thing they ate was made out of poop, they probably would not like it.
Because yes we do actually make fertilizer out of our sewage waste.

TL:DR
There was indeed records and methods of composting poop over 2000 years back, but back then they had to only select the "best animal poop" and even then it was not perfect.
IF it was to be used for food, growing other plants that we dont eat is just fine.
We have not been able to use our own poop safely without risking massive widespread plagues as our poop can spread diseases ALOT better then animals untill 1900.
And using raw poop close to a mayor populated areas like a city is begging to get killed, you MUST compost it first.
So while there might be someone out in this world who use human poop fertilizer, he is upgrading the method of doing so towards the 1900.

How the fuck did society develop without basic knowledge of farming? Also you can't use human poo to make fertilizer. This manga is trying so hard to be dr.stone but doesn't actually know what its talking about.

Dex-chan lover
@kliu27

you can actually, but if done incorrectly it will spread diseases, causes fires and small awefull as all heck.
not something you want close to a city.
also Release That Witch is older then Dr. stone as far as i know.
are YOU sure you know what you are talking about ?

@Goldenzeal Specifically the strains of Hepatitis A and Hepatitis E tend to be the ones to watch out for when using human feces due to the fecal-oral mode of transmission. There have been cases even in modern day of farming contamination of these particular strains due to human feces. I can't imagine how widespread it would be if one used human feces on the regular.

Source: Went to medical school and was regaled with the tales of these.

please don't actually do this IRL human waste is dangerous for consumable agriculture.
(just look at a lifecycle of a parasitic worm)

Dex-chan lover
Yeah right, villagers don't know what fertilizer is and as others said human feces near the food is a really bad idea.

One thing that I always find funny in every isekai is that authors always portrait locals like complete idiots. It's not like there is no science even in a magical world and I doubt that random local clerk would have any knowledge that would help develop a country.

Isn't he an engineer? I feel like he's wrong on purpose about the fertilizer

I dont understand why there was a warning. They are just talking about toilets, and throwing up rainbows.

Double-page supporter
@AngryFerret

Nobles keep the peasants working and all but enslaved, if not actually enslaved, by preventing them from becoming educated. Also it seems like peasants get moved around and die off often here, so there's no strong central passing down of knowledge in every single area. Church likely also has a hand in this, as back in those days in real life, religion was practically in charge of passing down basic education for those who could pay for it.

There's a good chance they are this ignorant in this tiny backwater where everyone was just waiting to die.

YOU CANT USE HUMAN WASTE FOR FERTILIZER! Waste carries diseases, that is why we use animal waste instead as it is harder for diseases to jump species.

Aggregator gang
It say composting is the best way but you need to wait in emergency human feces can be used.

Thanks for the warning at the beginning, I was having my breakfast at the time lol.

Dex-chan lover
@Kayriel Well yeah, but basic science even in most harsh for peasant periods of science improve. It wasn't perfect, but still, people saw what makes plants grow faster, even from parents to their children, they don't need proper education for that. Also, this is not rocket science, we are talking about agriculture.

Double-page supporter
@AngryFerret

Agriculture only seems simple from our perspective in the modern era. After all, look how long it took our ancestors to learn it despite living in nothing but nature.

Users who are viewing this thread