ReLIFE - Vol. 10 Ch. 145 - Living Proof

@whoamiagain I really enjoy the series, but this just make me cringe sooo hard, well, this exist in many series, maybe it have relation that if you scream at someone, you'll pay full attention to what that person is screaming at you?

There's something very touching about this scene. It shows what a big impact Arata had on Rena, to where she will feel concerned when something feels off in their friendship. Rena has never been one to not to tackle a challenge head on, but she has been known to run away from her emotions. Seeing her confronting Arata, telling him not to run away like how he taught her in the past makes it a catalyst. Her determination to face this kind of problem is really good development.

Fed-Kun's army
To be fair, this thing where they make someone shout at the protagonist to get them back on track is really overdone. Sure it works to create some emotional tension: through empathy, it triggers an adrenaline response in us and makes the scene more memorable. But there are more nuanced ways to achieve the same thing. In real life, moments like these seldom happen. If the storytelling is good enough, the protagonist might even have a realisation on their own and it will still make for a good powerful moment.

Fed-Kun's army
Not sure I understand what you mean, @architeus? Do you mean the story doesn't need to be realistic? Sure, good storytelling doesn't need to be literal, but this is a slice-of-life story - character interactions are what give depth to it, and good character interactions must resonate with the reader - and to that, they must be believable. "Shout scenes" can be a powerful emotional device if done right, but being so overdone it's hard to make them impactful to more mature/experienced readers. My point is that there are different ways to achieve the same effect, but which are little explored in literature of any kind - especially mangas and family.

Aggregator gang
ty kariu and ryo for making kaizaki realize this 😌 he’s just come so far and it was so upsetting seeing him begin to regress to his old self from a year ago

Dex-chan lover
Why the heck is this comment section complaining again?
Before complaining shallow comments like, we see this in shounen manga, understand the scene first.
First off, this is completely in Kariu's character to shout. After seeing progress and seeing Kaizaki run away, something he specifically told her not to, she's reaching her limit. He's being hypocritical of himself AND suddenly not trying to interact with them. Especially after he's done so much for him, seeing his behavior like this, any of his friends would be worried. After she finally confronts him, she still sees him somehow avoiding and running away, and knowing Kariu, this pissed her off to no end. She's angry at how he's acting and how he's not following his own advice. Why the heck is he not enjoying himself and trying to suffer?! Even after all he's done to gather everyone together so they can live life to the fullest, why is he the only one who's not?
This also makes Kaizaki show that even despite not remaining in their memories which caused his downward spiral of despair, that this effects that he's made on them will remain. He was so focused on one aspect of the results (kind of like Hishiro in the past and beginning of this arc) that he didn't think the middle and the other part of the results. That even if they don't remember, the fact that he's done it and changed them for the better does not change. And Kariu yelling this to him because he himself doesn't seem to understand this simple fact that he's helped them so much and she's yelling because she's (nor others) not happy with the outcome, he feels wanted. He feels that despite all of this, he's still an essential part of their lives, whether he remains or not.
And to Kaizaki who's been so important to let them figure this out and helped them, he truly needed that dose of medicine for himself. And why his words can come bite back to him so easily, why the cast was able to reiterate his words back to him. So he can get out of his self-sacrificial shell, this mindset that he'll just disappear from their lives and it wouldn't matter, when in fact that's the furthest from the truth. This was basically his turning point that he can move on from his past self, he can stay for good and enjoy this experiment to the very end, without having to hold back.

So why are people complaining for shallow reasons that it resembles a shounen manga? In my humble opinion, this scene is way better than what any typical shounen manga can achieve. Stop comparing them when they don't even have anything in common.

On a bigger scale, MC situation is not that different from life in general. We are merely mortal and death is the last destination for all of us. We will all be forgotten sooner or later after our death, it's only a matter of time. But the thing that will remain across time and space is our influences on the future generation after us, just like how MC has influence his surrounding. Our contribution to society is something that is unchangeable, it's history, and it doesn't matter whether anyone know or remember it. Sure, everything are just atoms and particles, none of which cares about anything at all, and everything seems meaningless knowing that there is really no purpose to anything. But we are human and we all have a purpose, that is to insure the survival of our race, family and those we dearly love. That means our existence is to contribute to the better of humanity. We evolve to the point where if we are useless and worthless we will self-destruct (commit suicide).

The chapter is called "Living proof", a perfect title I must say. It mean that MC influences on the people around him is the proof of his existence, which makes sense since people only remember you for what you have done, not who you are. So even if in the end everyone forget his existence, his contribution in changing his environment and the impact that he left behind after being forgotten is enough to know that he had existed.

“To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dex-chan lover
One of if not the best chapter. I love all the accumulation of memories that comes when it's Kariu that tells Arata not to run. Because she was the one to receive that exact same advice that Arata hasn't been following. So her being that individual to remind Arata the exact phrase he told her is so poetic and also shows how much Kariu has progressed and grown as an individual. ;w; As well as remind Arata once again how much of a hypocrite he is. It's so much stronger too that Kariu not only represents a girl who received advice from him, but a high school kid that he used to underestimate, so it serves as a wake up call for Arata to recognize his actions.
I really wished that this was in the anime since it's such a fantastic scene. Still on a hopeless wish that they remake and expand season 2, or do vomics since I really would love to hear the VAs enact this scene!
Edit: I just noticed I made a similar comment next chapter and... well.. I guess my thoughts didn't change.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread