Rooster Fighter - Ch. 2 - Feather 2: Flew The Coop

Dex-chan lover
The drawings are very good. What is the rooster's greatest enemy? Colonel Sanders?

Group Leader
Lol, now [FSS] is a lot better translation than other group.

If you have a good will on author and not yourselves.
Why your guys try racing over quality, not speed with F**king quality?

Edit: just see your chapter name defining.
雲散鳥没
https://idiom-encyclopedia.com/unsantyoubotu/

Literally = Scattering like cloud, disappearing like birds(chickens)
*鳥 = Bird or Chicken, typically Bird, but this manga use many idioms/words around 鳥, using chicken would be more proper. (This is up to you)
Meaning = Disappear without a trace. Liked cloud or birds, liked never exist in the first place.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/disappear-without-a-trace

I guess you should try finding Idiom meaning rather than define them yourself from each Kanji. Just searching by furigana.

Page 6 like that.
MV5BMTY5ODk1NzUyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjUyNzEyMTE@._V1_.jpg

Group Leader
@kskase Yes they know what the idiom means, hence the closest equivalent idiom in English with bird involved, "Flew the Coop", which is an idiom that means "disappear/gone". The title cheekily highlights the "tori", so it would be doing the title a disservice to ignore the birdy stuff for the plainer "disappears without a trace".

Like in English, many idioms have imagery so it is simply explained the original idiom's relation to the birds, which by the way, is how Japanese dictionaries explain why it means "disappearing without a trace". It's like in English "flew the coop" also an idiom that means "disappeared/gone", but when you explain it to a new person, you would briefly explain the origin of it is the image of a chicken quickly escaping the chicken coop.

I am also disappointed in the FSS original release, but *shrug* admit it, that's a nitpick and misunderstanding the intentions behind explaining an idiom. 😅

Group Leader
Oh yes, I can see the improvement in quality this time, though I should point out that the part that's translated "A bird taking flight, without leaving behind a bad impression of me..." (立つ鳥 跡を濁さず) is actually "A bird does not foul the nest it is about to leave" and it's a Japanese proverb meaning it is simply common courtesy to clean up after yourself.

Group Leader
By the way, 鴣鴂鶻鵁 are four different birds.
鴣 = Partridge
鴂 = Shrike
鶻 = Falcon
鵁 = Night heron

Users who are viewing this thread