RSS Clients War!

Fed-Kun's army
You can make feeds out of searches on Nitter, good trick for that rare webcomic that's tech savyy enough to build it's own site instead of using wordpress, yet not tech savvy enough for RSS and announces updates through twitter instead.

For a more concrete example if you wanted a feed for Mangadex's announcements, then this Nitter search would result in this feed. No unrelated tweets cluttering things up.
yeah... and what if you're interested in some specific words besides announcements?
you'll either end up with two or more virtual folders or with two or more rss feeds from mangadex's twitter. and voila thats cluttering.
in the end; for each rss feed different from nitter, you'll end up making virtual folders for each one. thunderbird's current design of virtual folders is a no-no. it only works for people with a specific use case like email+rss feeds and a small amount of feeds.

Last edited:
Newsflow:
  1. Blends well with Win 10 UI
  2. System/Light/Dark theme
  3. Runs at startup and in the background
  4. Notification
  5. Supports live tile
  6. Lock screen notification
  7. Categories as feeds folder

Dex-chan lover
I switched to Feedly after Google Reader died and just haven't had a reason to switch. I'm open to being told why I'm a fool for using it, though.

Power Uploader
I host a personal Miniflux instance so I can view my feeds from any device. It has pretty much every setting other readers have, as well as allowing you to download a full article if the feed doesn't provide it, or rewrite the article url if necessary.

I use a custom browser extension that hooks into provided bookmark folder that I made myself lol. Used it since, uh. I think since 2017? It has none of the Amazing™ features all those other apps offer. It just pulls RSS feeds on a timer and shows them in a tree. Also can show formatted (and very unsafe) HTML descriptions. That's it. Also it's so old it doesn't even have dark mode and I don't want to touch it because the code is absolutely horrible. Can parse RSS and Atom. Also is extremely buggy because I implemented those parsers myself and in a very incomplete manner. Why? Because I could. Also it's so old that on Vivaldi the unread counter is broken and it just has yellow "N" showing all the time. No clue why, can't be bothered to fix.
It had a node-based parser to convert whatever website into a feed, but I gutted it years ago. Especially since most websites nowadays use app approach and I can't just fetch the page and expect all content to just be here without letting JS to run.
HoyaRBq.png

VLstsqA.png
So yeah, it's objectively superior RSS client to all those you people use because it's my own. /s :02: On a serious note, I just don't need anything special from RSS. Just pull the feed and show it to me lol. Hence this half-assed extension I made years ago is just fine for me.

I use a custom browser extension that hooks into provided bookmark folder that I made myself lol.
Pulling feeds from bookmarks is a great idea and one of the things I miss from when I was still using Brief. It synergized so well with Firefox Sync...

Also I should mention: ever since Elon started messing around, Nitter has been ...finicky, to say the least. It's settled down a bit now, but feeds generated from a search the old way no longer filter out unwanted posts, you have to build your feeds in a different way now.

To keep with my previous example, if you're looking for all posts from @MangaDexRE that contain "mangadex.org/announcements", then where you used to have:
Code:
https://nitter.d420.de/MangaDexRE/search/rss?f=tweets&q=mangadex.org%2Fannouncements

Now you have to use this:
Code:
https://nitter.d420.de/search/rss?q=from:MangaDexRE+mangadex.org%2Fannouncements

I'm not sure you can actually get this through the user interface though. Hell, I don't even remember how I figured this out, but I'm glad I did. I'll rather rely on mystery API endpoints than suffer through months on end with a handful webcomics' feeds rendered unusable as an update feed because of the authors' random tweets.
But, silver lining, some authors took the Elon thing as a sign to create and move to their own sites, with actual proper RSS feeds.

Users who are viewing this thread