Run Away With Me, Girl - Vol. 2 Ch. 5

Dex-chan lover
So now the husband is going to cheat on her too, huh?

That’s like every single horrible trope mashed into one asshole of a person. 🙄

Dex-chan lover
you guys don't get it, really really don't get it
it's not easy to abort a kid, and also it's a common pitfall to think if you bite the bullet and hope it gets better the storm will pass, without realizing that nothing's gonna change if you don't do something about it
between that and the desire for normalcy, for happiness, for inner peace, she is hopelessly stuck
is she really stuck? of course not, but it's not always easy to see that when you're in the pit yourself
sometimes you need a truly well-meaning hand to pull you out, and i think the other girl is gonna do just that
sure, Midori is a bit naive and simple and passive, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to see the best in people and in the things that happen to her

my only beef with this manga is that the assdouche husband is not really written well, like he's supposed to be part of the antagonistic force of this story and yet he's just blatantly and unapologetically awful to her and it takes the immersion off a lil' bit, like he should have a greater complexity to really anchor the predicament here, make it a more believable dilemma
and now he's even trying to cheat on her with the colleague, jfc, what a piece of shit

all in all, this chapter was beautifully executed, with some breathtaking and hard hitting frames (i.e when she came home and saw a mirage of her best friend; and when she was at the hospital, sitting alone)
i'm really looking forward to a juicy inciting incident from here - the tipping point

Aggregator gang
Well I guess cheating was inevitable, she needs a serious push after all

Dex-chan lover
naw, this shitty dude is totally credible. they cut women down, and push them to cut off their other avenues of support, and control finances and over time make it very hard to leave. if he’s written like that, he’s gonna be mad when midori reconnects with her childhood friend, without ever realising that she’s gonna steal his wife.

anyway. midori. go get your girl

Everyone in this story is so shitty. Midori keeps doing the push and pull with her ex and her ex lets her, even knowing that she’s taken and her coworker is such a snake. Don’t even get me started on her shitty fiancé.

Double-page supporter
Everyone here, maybe except glasses girl's friend, is horrible.

Dex-chan lover
Damn this is starting to suck in a good way. Really need to see this husband meet the buisness end of a truck like damn foo you deserve it

Dex-chan lover
@Purplelibraryguy
If I can be one more psychologists...
Midori is long used to the idea of her life not going the way she wants. Her personal life at least, because if you stop and think about this, she is doing very well for herself. She could very well live alone, but she can't, she desires someone to be there for her, even if he doesn't love her. She get's satisfied with very little, and no matter people saying that her actions make no sense, that she is dumb. Yes, she knows, she isn't normal, she can't act better. Just look how lost she is in this chapter, she can't stand for herself, is that hard to understand?

@Granuaile
Tazune isn't really that much a villain, there's a lot of man like him out there and is he making very clear since the beginning what he wants from Midori. He is getting all he wants from her. Doumyou will get what she wants. Even Midori is getting a bit of what she wanted.
I think that her epiphany is not that she don't want to be alone, is that she wants to be loved. Isn't that why she remembered about Maki when she was thinking about things she likes? Maki "likes" her back. Maki can be felt even when they're separated. This may be the fundamental realization that Midori is missing. Physical presence isn't what makes people truly close and the end to loneliness.

@elefantine97
This chapter was predictable and necessary.
The previous one ended with Midori rejecting Maki's proposal to "run away with her" (expected, Maki have zero plans and ideas to make this work) and wishing things would get better for her, eventually. She was wrong, things wound get better by itself while she does nothing to protect her happiness, this chapter came to show her this.
About the baby, isn't natural?
She can't help to feel a bit happy, and if Tazune don't treat her too bad and isn't too obvious with the cheating she could live for her child. It happens.
If one the memory of Maki didn't got in the way she could be one more unhappy wife, like so many others.

Double-page supporter
Tazune's a bitch ass punk and I thought he was about to try and redeem himself when he offered a shoulder to cry on for Midori but I guess not

@Panino
I couldn't agree more
this is a manga that explores a story that is way more common than people realize, people get stuck, people get settled even if unhappy and people are shitty with each other.
My greatest curiosity was why, if she was so happy with Maki in high school, did she leave? She heard or was thought somewhere that she would need to make a hetero family, she thought that Maki would eventually leave her to form a hetero family? Were those things always on her mind and she struggled with them?
I guess I'll wait and see, this thing is awesome

Power Uploader
@emMeBi86
Ok, so...why she simply didn’t remain with glasses girl, directly from school? ._.
Simply put, because it doesn't look 'normal' enough for her. The problem with people with low self-esteem like Midori is that they do things that others think will make them happy, rather than things that actually make themselves happy. She just mindlessly follow the expected route of a traditional woman: settling down with a financially secured man and raising kids with him, hoping she will somehow become happy along the way.

Dex-chan lover
I've noticed that a lot of people talking about fiction use the world "believable" when that's not what they mean at all. They mean "nuanced" or something; they mean they prefer plots where the conflict has some ambiguity or multi-layeredness. Clear villains are sort of "too easy". It's a defensible taste but I think they should realize that's what they mean and say that's what they mean. I think they don't even realize they mean that, but that's obviously what they actually mean, because outside the context of fiction they probably know or have known personally a fair number of total douchebags, and are aware of lots of total monsters that do or have strutted the world stage, whether it's Saddam Hussein or Dick Cheney, Pol Pot or Pinochet or J. Edgar Hoover. They know perfectly well that real people are often not very complex, or at least have few complexities that anyone ever sees. There are lots of uncomplicatedly nice people, and plenty of simply jerky people.

But when they see people presented in fiction who are just like those people they know, or hear about in the news, they say it's "unrealistic". So for instance, this guy. He's not remotely unrealistic. He's not a bizarre mass murderer or a psycho sadist, he's just a common or garden selfish asshole. There's lots of assholes just like him. My wife's ex-husband is an asshole just like him. My oldest daughter (from my wife's previous marriage) has an old friend who never seems to go out with or marry anyone who isn't an asshole just like him--and I mean, she's both attractive and a totally sweet person, but she has absolutely horrendous instincts when it comes to significant others. My wife has a co-worker who was going out with an asshole just like that guy, for years; the co-worker in question is smart, well regarded in her field, and really hot, but soft spoken and with a rather pliant personality; she was totally being yanked around emotionally by this narcissistic creep for ages despite my wife telling her she ought to get rid of him. Some of these creeps were wealthy narcissists, others were tatted-up hoodlums, but the selfish attitude is the same either way and it's quite common.

So what people mean when they criticize the character as "unrealistic" or "not believable" is that he doesn't meet certain character expectations they've come to associate with high quality in fiction, not that he is unlike a real person.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
It's insuferable the time i have to wait for the next page to load.

Users who are viewing this thread