Ruri Dragon - Ch. 17 - Let's Draw Some Attention

Dex-chan lover
This looks like the beginning of a school comedy, where the MC is manipulated into joining some dubious school club with weirdos. Sounds like a pretty risky idea. But one way or another, as an introvert, I must admit that the process of long and tedious persuasion to participate in a common activity looks frighteningly realistic.

Dex-chan lover
Also, I've certainly argued with people about Maeda going through the narutotherapy too quickly, but now it looks like Maeda has completely switched to "friendly school activist who motivates shy students" mode for her.

Dex-chan lover
How boring.

It's just a school life slice of life, but one of the girls has horns.

Who cares about school festivals?

The fantasy aspect took a backseat. I think it's losing readers fast.
This is actual battle shonen from shonen jump, you just don't understand it. We had an arc where she made her enemy her friend, and now we're going to have a sort of tournament arc. But seriously, didn't people love this manga for its realism? If you want a crazy fantasy series about a schoolgirl with horns, then we always have Nokotan.

Dex-chan lover
How boring.

I predicted that Ruri was going to be forcibly sidelined as a piece of scenery with that backdrop suggestion of the Dragon Gate and thats apparently going nowhere.

since apparently were allowed to have Chekhov's Wooden Props, i doubt we will even see that Yuka is a Demigoddess. Even a Good Writer should be willing to change their writing based on either circumstances or developments that create a new interesting situation such as the DnD meme of "Player presents overly composed and insane theory of the events that they have experienced, The DM agrees and calls for a break because they are now furiously revising all their now invalidated/inferior preparation"

Dex-chan lover
This reminds me of the reason why I tend to get the leadership position ever since high school. People think I'm too capable but I just don't want to deal with a lot of issues later on. It also the reason why I adhere to the saying of not having friends in group works, it's one of the fastest ways to end friendships.

How boring.

Maybe it's too early for that. With how things are going with Ruri, the next dragon ability she acquires requires some emotional pressure somewhere and the Author is setting the sports festival as her next powder keg.

Dex-chan lover
This reminds me of the reason why I tend to get the leadership position ever since high school. People think I'm too capable but I just don't want to deal with a lot of issues later on. It also the reason why I adhere to the saying of not having friends in group works, it's one of the fastest ways to end friendships.

Maybe it's too early for that. With how things are going with Ruri, the next dragon ability she acquires requires some emotional pressure somewhere and the Author is setting the sports festival as her next powder keg.
Imagine if she started spitting fire when she was nervous. Or she would turn into a literal dragon when there was too much attention on her.

Dex-chan lover
"True, I got no reason to refuse." Yes, you do. A very simple reason called "You don't want to." Always aggravates me, both in fiction and IRL, when people try to pressure someone into doing something they don't want to do that's not their responsibility. She doesn't want to do it, end of story. Try and argue logic all you want, but she doesn't want to, you can't force her, so back off.
I know there's no ill will, but these 3, and especially Maeda(? Is that her name), kinda suck with the pressure they're trying to apply.

Power Uploader
This is actual battle shonen from shonen jump, you just don't understand it. We had an arc where she made her enemy her friend, and now we're going to have a sort of tournament arc. But seriously, didn't people love this manga for its realism? If you want a crazy fantasy series about a schoolgirl with horns, then we always have Nokotan.
People loved this manga because DRAGON.

Even without going into an alien invasion that Ruri would fend off, there would have been tons of ideas for her to put her abilities to good use.

For now, 17 chapters in, she's just a freak show character in an ordinary setting.

And the fact that Japanese high schoolers treat her like a normal person is the MOST UNREALISTIC thing ever. Their local PTA, in the real world, would already have petitioned for Ruri to be expelled ASAP.

Dex-chan lover
People loved this manga because DRAGON.

Even without going into an alien invasion that Ruri would fend off, there would have been tons of ideas for her to put her abilities to good use.

For now, 17 chapters in, she's just a freak show character in an ordinary setting.

And the fact that Japanese high schoolers treat her like a normal person is the MOST UNREALISTIC thing ever. Their local PTA, in the real world, would already have petitioned for Ruri to be expelled ASAP.
Well, I don't know how common it is now since I don't really follow social media. But I heard that before the break there were a lot of people who would like the manga to be cemented as an all-female CGDCT.

Dex-chan lover
Jesus, so far the most unrealistic part is that apparently all these high-schoolers are emotionally mature, considerate people.

Also, yes missy, you are forcing her. Ruri is a glorified gofer. So far she's growing up to be a pushover, who will be stuck in a dead end job, working her ass off for someone else's promotion.

Dex-chan lover
I'm kinda worried because she doesn't want to stand out and helping is fine but is like they're pushing her more and more into a big stage in front of everybody, that's the perfect recipe for a disaster to happen with someone that has super natural powers and doesn't know how to deal with them yet

Dex-chan lover
"True, I got no reason to refuse." Yes, you do. A very simple reason called "You don't want to." Always aggravates me, both in fiction and IRL, when people try to pressure someone into doing something they don't want to do that's not their responsibility. She doesn't want to do it, end of story. Try and argue logic all you want, but she doesn't want to, you can't force her, so back off.
I know there's no ill will, but these 3, and especially Maeda(? Is that her name), kinda suck with the pressure they're trying to apply.
My reaction as well. Maeda, who was really bitchy to Ruri from the start because she says Ruri doesn't care about other people, keeps not caring about Ruri's very valid reasons for not wanting to do this, railroads her into it and makes snide comments. Annoying girl.

Power Uploader
My reaction as well. Maeda, who was really bitchy to Ruri from the start because she says Ruri doesn't care about other people, keeps not caring about Ruri's very valid reasons for not wanting to do this, railroads her into it and makes snide comments. Annoying girl.
The weird translation doesn't help.

The characters are a lot more snarky in that English TL than in Japanese.

Dex-chan lover
That's why I called it manipulative club activity. People want to appear friendly, active and motivated, but in reality they are simply gaslighting other people into participating in something that only they themselves are interested in. One of my childhood friends was practically a PhD in this. Every time I refused to go with him wherever he wanted, I suddenly found myself not caring about my friends and acting like an asshole to everyone.

Dex-chan lover
Jesus, so far the most unrealistic part is that apparently all these high-schoolers are emotionally mature, considerate people.

Also, yes missy, you are forcing her. Ruri is a glorified gofer. So far she's growing up to be a pushover, who will be stuck in a dead end job, working her ass off for someone else's promotion.
The Japanese workforce loves that type.

Users who are viewing this thread