Ruri Dragon - Ch. 17 - Let's Draw Some Attention

Dex-chan lover
I’m fine with the SOL chapters to break it up but can we please focus on the dragon part sometimes?

Double-page supporter
Also I wonder where this is going, like, after all this

Dex-chan lover
Does kinda feel like the group is forcing Ruri to do this. Girl folded pretty quickly.
It felt partly like she folded so fast because she is considerate to others, just like her best friend (or was it a classmate) pointed out in an earlier chapter. She saw how happy Maeda was and how much she wanted to do it. I believe that also swayed her a great amount.

What truly bothers me tho is that others want her to do it because she didnt slack off like others, because she had other things to do too. Basically dumbing more work on the efficient workers to make sure they have less. Sidelining her to the comitee because of her dragon traits is ok and understandable, this is more like the typical lazy group pushing all the work to someone else.

Dex-chan lover
It felt partly like she folded so fast because she is considerate to others, just like her best friend (or was it a classmate) pointed out in an earlier chapter. She saw how happy Maeda was and how much she wanted to do it. I believe that also swayed her a great amount.

What truly bothers me tho is that others want her to do it because she didnt slack off like others, because she had other things to do too. Basically dumbing more work on the efficient workers to make sure they have less. Sidelining her to the comitee because of her dragon traits is ok and understandable, this is more like the typical lazy group pushing all the work to someone else.
To impose unwanted responsibilities on yourself and make your life more difficult in order to make other people happy and help them. Kindness and altruism really often make people easy victims of other people's needs.

Ruri's lack of intellectual curiosity about the changes her own body is undergoing kind of baffles me. Her horns are her most visible feature and she hasn't even figured out if they're bone or keratin or something else yet?
Like mother like daughter, I guess. The mother's constant forgetting to tell Ruri about all the things that could appear is similarly baffling.

Dex-chan lover
Maeda has grown on me. She's grating and annoying and her underlying reasoning isn't so bad. That ecouraging smoil was precious.

I don't take Ruri's eagerness to please as a complete weakness to praise and worship, since she's also rather lazy and very thick skinned. She has valid anxieties but not strong ones, and almost no curiousity about events outside her daily life. It's very fortunate to have incidents rouse her from her slumber. Both as a teen and as a lizard. And when she's involved, she gets enthusiastic.

That's a set up for another dragon power incident. I'm more worried that repeatedly leading groups is going to lead to something like harvest season rain, or in her case annoyingly raising humidity. Well worst comes to worst we can blame Maeda like some kind of priestess.

Dex-chan lover
Jesus, so far the most unrealistic part is that apparently all these high-schoolers are emotionally mature, considerate people.

Thats one thing that I always hate about anime/manga about middle/high-school kids. They sometimes go deep, talking about shit like they are 70 year old people with all the wit and life experience.

Maybe my country is fucked and/or group of people I was around was just bad, but even on damn university 99% of time people never gone that deep. Main topics were parties and what people do in free time, not "what is life" deep debates.

Kids in manga in HS have fucking drama about dating, talking about future/sadness/whatever they often whine/deep talk about, while me and my friends were wondering what to eat when few of them once again were going to bring their fucking desktop PCs to my house so that we could do LAN parties as I had few monitors at home for my and my Dads PCs and old "spares" so we could host like 5 people LAN parties if one of them brought his monitor (and one of them fucking did bright a CRT each damn time via a fucking bus mind you ;) as LCDs weren't a thing yet back then).

Fuck I miss those old times, nowadays even online playing is hard or near impossible without looking for random people, cause everyone has kids/families/low incomes/bad jobs to worry about, like they tasted pussy, spawned a hell-spawn and magically their interest in PC/Games died out.

Dex-chan lover
Anyone else feel like this arc has been dragged for too long and there hasn't been enough dragon aspects like discovering new powers, yeah same.
Honestly, yeah. To the point I want to rant about it. This entire arc has been a downward spiral in my opinion.

I already talked a bit about the unrealistic portrayal of high schoolers and the fact that Ruri is a pushover, bu there is more problems with every chapter.

First is the lack of adult presence. There is a supervising teacher somewhere, right? It feels like if an adult (an actual, not idiotic adult) stepped in, a lot of the "conflict" would not happen in this arc.

It gives me the ick that this arc basically promotes the idea that you shouldn't be assertive, and that giving in to social pressure will make you a better person. It feels slimy.

And obviously the disappearance of dragon content. That's what attracted most of us here in the first place, why is this gone? The one shot introduced Ruri's father for fuck's sake!

It's like the hiatus was a sign of things to come. The honeymoon period is over, and with every chapter I feel closer and closer to dropping this series.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly, yeah. To the point I want to rant about it. This entire arc has been a downward spiral in my opinion.

I already talked a bit about the unrealistic portrayal of high schoolers and the fact that Ruri is a pushover, bu there is more problems with every chapter.

First is the lack of adult presence. There is a supervising teacher somewhere, right? It feels like if an adult (an actual, not idiotic adult) stepped in, a lot of the "conflict" would not happen in this arc.

It gives me the ick that this arc basically promotes the idea that you shouldn't be assertive, and that giving in to social pressure will make you a better person. It feels slimy.

And obviously the disappearance of dragon content. That's what attracted most of us here in the first place, why is this gone? The one shot introduced Ruri's father for fuck's sake!

It's like the hiatus was a sign of things to come. The honeymoon period is over, and with every chapter I feel closer and close

It's like the hiatus was a sign of things to come. The honeymoon period is over, and with every chapter I feel closer and closer to dropping this series.
If we had known it would continue like this, it would have been better for it to remain a oneshot

Group Leader
Not a fan of how they cornered her there. Not wanting to draw attention to yourself and not being up to take on the responsibility are very valid reasons to refuse a job!

She decided to take on the job behind the scenes, just doing heavy lifting and moving things around as instructed by other people. Being a representative and speaking publicly are very different skillsets and something she was not she would have to do before she accepted this job. Just because she went on asking people's names doesn't mean she's fit to be a public speaker!

And as always, the translation makes it difficult to read.

Group Leader
That's why I called it manipulative club activity. People want to appear friendly, active and motivated, but in reality they are simply gaslighting other people into participating in something that only they themselves are interested in. One of my childhood friends was practically a PhD in this. Every time I refused to go with him wherever he wanted, I suddenly found myself not caring about my friends and acting like an asshole to everyone.
I had my fair share of people like that who I thought were my friends.
Best way to deal with them is to just say no and let them cry and whine. Unfortunately, when you're younger and impressionable, you don't really know how to deal with that type of person.

Dex-chan lover
I had my fair share of people like that who I thought were my friends.
Best way to deal with them is to just say no and let them cry and whine. Unfortunately, when you're younger and impressionable, you don't really know how to deal with that type of person.
Yeah. At times like these, I understand very much why the Japanese value “trust” in friendship so much.

This series feels like the author had a very neat idea for a oneshot but has no clue what to do now that it's a serialized series.
Like, outside of someone mentioning Ruri's horns or saying "oh you're that dragon girl huh neat" every chapter, the dragon aspect is just... gone. It's a pretty bog standard slice of life - and not a very compelling one at that.
Shame, because I like the art.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I would caution for the people who complain about lack for dragon traits to wait until end of sportsfest ... because the sportsfest seems like the perfect stage for another dragon trait incident .. like the wings or tail from the old cover art. After that dragon traits would truly be much less likely from then on.

Users who are viewing this thread