Ryoumin 0-nin Start no Henkyou Ryoushusama - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Group Leader
Well no,
And there it is, "oh, you don't want to be forced to pay for something low quality? Well you're just cheap!" Well, sorry I don't like the idea of a glorified e-rental service being the only way I can get their series. Don't even make me laugh about their "catch up series" being of any value, since it's not ones the buyer gets to pick and instead whatever THEY think people should read so you STILL have to pay if you want to read a new series that doesn'thappen to be in the catch up rotation. I don't really like many mainstream series so that is effectively a big fat nothing.

It's not the $5 one time, it's that you have to keep paying that every month just to keep up with a series and then you don't even get to keep the ones you read. If netflix used this same system they would lose 50% of their subs. The very fact that you also use MD is proof enough to me that JNC isn't worth it. No one here is gonna stop you from wasting your own money so there's no need to shill for them.

One, J Novel has some fantastic translators, I know I would read their translations of Honzuki over TOORs any day, although there are some series that aren't the greatest.

Two, like I said..I don't care if people pirate, I just find it funny when people act like a service is bad when it's clearly an amazing value.

But tbh, I wouldn't shill for it here. Like I said above, it's mainly a service for people who enjoy LNs. If you only read Manga it's not worth it, at least for now

In the first place LNs are far less likely to get fan translations

Dex-chan lover
Well no,

One, J Novel has some fantastic translators, I know I would read their translations of Honzuki over TOORs any day, although there are some series that aren't the greatest.

Two, like I said..I don't care if people pirate, I just find it funny when people act like a service is bad when it's clearly an amazing value.

But tbh, I wouldn't shill for it here. Like I said above, it's mainly a service for people who enjoy LNs. If you only read Manga it's not worth it, at least for now

In the first place LNs are far less likely to get fan translations
Ok, cool thanks for telling everyone how great a value they are for LNs but not manga and how they have inconsistent translation quality manga on a manga site when nobody was talking about LNs and trying to convince us they're a good service we should pay for. How could I ever mistake that as shilling, silly me. 👍

Ok, cool thanks for telling everyone how great a value they are for LNs but not manga and how they have inconsistent translation quality manga on a manga site when nobody was talking about LNs and trying to convince us they're a good service we should pay for. How could I ever mistake that as shilling, silly me. 👍
Please let us know what official paying services you currently use to read manga and what pricing would be good for you to read quality online scans.

Otherwise you’re just complaining as a way to hide your guilt towards ripping off authors and translators by not paying for their stuff.

Group Leader
Please let us know what official paying services you currently use to read manga and what pricing would be good for you to read quality online scans.

Otherwise you’re just complaining as a way to hide your guilt towards ripping off authors and translators by not paying for their stuff.
OP is just a pirate that doesn't want to pay so yeah you won't get a real answer

But if you really want to know, the best one for Manga is Manga Plus for sure. AND they are free which is awesome...sadly that only works when you have the draw of massive titles like One Piece and you need to be up to date on the titles

If you AREN'T up to date the Shonen Jump app is $2 a month and let's you read everything

MangaUp let's you read SE's series..I haven't tried it but from what I understand they are similar to Webtoons with a daily limit unless you pay (I heard it's around 4 chapters for free daily)

Crunchyroll actually has a pretty decent selection of Manga...I wouldn't get it just for the manga, but it's a nice little add on if you are already using it for anime

I've heard decent things about Comixolgy but I've never tried it....to be frank if it's like Kindle Unlimited I'm not expecting much

And yeah, the J-Novel app is decent even if you only read Manga but it would depend on the person. The thing is, if you read LNs you can easily spend dozens of hours on that app each month since each novel will take you hours to read...but manga are quicker reads and there are less of them so I feel like you would quickly run out of things to read if you only enjoy Manga. So NO I wouldn't recomend it for someone who was only a manga reader, but that doesn't mean it's a bad site..you just aren't the target audience. They are adding more and more manga recently so maybe in a year or so it will be worth it

Comikey runs the same way with a limited amount of free chapters per day...but I wouldn't go past the free chapters because the way they operate really does feel shitty...tbh I'm not a big fan of the "Daily pass" style in general. It feels a lot more shady then just having you pay $X a month to access the content

Aggregator gang
Also screw this "official" translation for romanizing Aruna as "Alna". That sounds terrible to say.
I agree that it sounds terrible with English pronunciation.

But if you check the "A" sound Japan uses it is not the English "ei" sound but an "ah" sound, like when you scream "AaAAaa", so Ahlnah. Which sounds fairly reasonable in most Germanic languages, except English.

Dex-chan lover
I agree that it sounds terrible with English pronunciation.

But if you check the "A" sound Japan uses it is not the English "ei" sound but an "ah" sound, like when you scream "AaAAaa", so Ahlnah. Which sounds fairly reasonable in most Germanic languages, except English.

Yeah, I get that. That's what I figured it was supposed to sound like, it just doesn't work in English because we don't generally cram those sounds together. So having it be "ah-ROO-nah" made more sense. There's no way to render it with English vowel sounds that wouldn't sound kinda derpy. ALL-nah, all-NAY, AIL-nah, ail-NAY. It's all silly sounding.

and I don't even get grumpy about this in that weird weeby way where I've seen people flip their lids over a translator taking something like "Kurisu" and turning it into "Chris" when it's clear that the character is meant to be a westerner with a name like Christopher/Christine (or Christina). Or Arisa into Alice (except in situations where it's clear that it's meant to be a japanese name and thus should be Arisa). When it makes sense that the original Japanese name is a japan-phonemes-only approximation of a western name, switch it back in translation. That's fine. But "Alna" isn't a common or even an irregular western name so the choice of how to translate it should come down to aesthetics. Aruna stays as Aruna because it flows. Whereas something like DBZ's Krillin makes sense to change because "Kururin" or "Kullurin" or whatever else is fine to change because the transliteration is clumsy as hell.

Why can official translations NEVER reach the level of quality as fan translations all the while usually being obsessed with smearing whatever they're translation with the same shit that caused the increase in popularity of foreign media in the first place in the name of "localisation"? The second sentence alone reads a bit off. Even just replacing "are" with "is" would make is so much better

Last edited:
Contributor
Yeah, I get that. That's what I figured it was supposed to sound like, it just doesn't work in English because we don't generally cram those sounds together. So having it be "ah-ROO-nah" made more sense. There's no way to render it with English vowel sounds that wouldn't sound kinda derpy. ALL-nah, all-NAY, AIL-nah, ail-NAY. It's all silly sounding.
..but it’s just one consonant away from the English name Alma.

Users who are viewing this thread