Saotome Senshu, Hitakakusu - Vol. 10 Ch. 119 - Saotome Senshu, Sensing

jak

Contributor
*sigh* I wanted him to win, but I figured he would lose. This is more about her boxing than his which imo this arc for him has felt really thrown together.

Dex-chan lover
@Purplelibraryguy None of those things really matter when faced against Satoru's biggest weakness: his inability to get out of his own way. He's the type that will constantly overthink things; what if I do this? What if I feint this direction? What if I take this opening? It's slowing him down considerably and when faced with anyone even just as equally skilled, never mind someone better, it's more or less a death sentence for anything competitive.

Fed-Kun's army
I Hope that this time Satoru actually receives proper character development due to his (at least what appears to be) loss; People do not respond to their dreams being crushed with apathy, thus far his total lack of grief over his repeatedly crushed dream has been not only unrealistic, but totally dissatisfying. The issue should only be compounded by the fact that the women he loves has achieved what he has always dreamed of with a comparative lack of effort. Were I in his shoes, I would be entirely crushed.

Dex-chan lover
@gigagiga
its not that hes a bad boxer, is just that he has been dealt a shitty hand, he cant overcome reaction times and ingrained strenght.
imagine how it must feel to work out every day, only for a dude that never excersices to be twice as strong.

Imagine training your eyes to catch movements, but still cant out do a guy that can naturally do sleight of hand.

Its pretty cool that the dude keeps trying, but also its sad that he hasnt given up, at least he will probably still do it while in school where its relatively safe. But hopefully he gives up in going pro.

Group Leader
@gigagiga
Its like racing, you might know the track, you might know all the other drivers, and you might have all the skills, but if you have to run the race on foot all that knowledge wont matter. Also no amount of training is going to make up for the fact that you can only run, while everyone else gets to drive. Now, that being said, I think that he is going to win this fight, or at least not just lose outright. Be he will understand the most valuable lesson, pick and choose your fights carefully, because you might bite off more than you can chew.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly if he loses I'm probably gonna give this manga a long break.
@Purplelibraryguy , @gigagiga and @BardofSnow sum my feelings up perfectly. This isn't even realistic, it's just depressing seeing Satoru work so hard just to be the only major character in this serious to never get a win. The fact so many people are satisfied with him quitting and living his dream via being his GF's coach is just so lame. At this point the writer is basically saying the average joe will never win period. Even if they work for it. As an amateur fighter IRL it's just plain disheartening to look back on Satoru's (much happier) child self and see the pitiful state he is in now despite how much he wants it. All because he lost the genetic lottery . . . .

Dex-chan lover
@Vincentius Except we've seen him do pretty well against a guy who's described as very naturally talented, plus a hard worker, plus with a dynamite punch, plus the one he'd psych himself out the worst against. Any adolescent amateur who can't unload a knockout punch without telegraphing--which should be most of them--he should have a decent chance of handling.

why i'm waiting something like during the match saotome cheer satoru and he somehow manage to stay longer on stage?

Dex-chan lover
@0takuDragonSlayer

You couldn't have said it any better. It's a fucking manga too. Let the god damn kid win one fucking match. Is that so hard to write in? We already know he isn't going to the Olympics. It's been beaten into us since the start. His genetics are trash. But the kid fucking works his ass off and studies. Let his hard work pay off on the stage. It's fucking infuriating

Dex-chan lover
See kids, that's why you should stop thinking about anything that isn't OXYGEN and PUNCH HARDER when you are in a boxing match.

1508636831064.jpg

He didn't lose he can still get up boys.
YAMATO DAMASHIIIII!!!!!!

Incoming L... :(

I agree with many others of what's been said. Man Saturo's character arc/career is just a flop in terms of writing. He's not that bad at boxing but everything is written where everyone has God's Gift. The story trope and realistic concept of 'punching up', versing someone that seems leagues ahead of you is only interesting when they're reasonably spaced apart.

Dex-chan lover
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is actually realistic. Most fighters never fight competitively again after a string of defeats, no matter how technically skilled they are, because they don't have a killer instinct to win. They've had it beaten out of them. Microseconds of hesitation, the slightest pull of a punch before it lands, the extra kg on the back foot and not adding momentum, it sabotages your best efforts because you are getting ready to defend before you've even swung.
His critical moment of hesitation happens right as he's stepping into the punch, swinging late and leaving himself open. If you've ever been in a fist fight you know you'll lose, you'll know the feeling.

You all acting like he lost.
I hear no bell or ref he will remember his girls abs and do a Fooly power up and get back up.

CZ

I didn't think he'd win, as his opponent is a boxing prodigy, but from what we saw in the last chapter it's just turned into another bland curb-stomp and overwhelming loss to throw on the pile. While it's realistic it's also bloody dull. I'm hoping we get one more chapter during which Satoru will do what he did in their first match, twice, and break the prodigy's reputation. The first where the crowd are surprised, and the second shocking to silence as they realise it wasn't a fluke. I doubt it though as everyone's "favourite" plot about the interfering old fools needs some coverage.

I think part of what adds to the frustration, or at least to mine, is the stop-start storytelling leading to only a few chapter ends feeling natural and as though the story is cut to fit the page count. On that topic has it ever been answered why it gets so few pages at a time?

This reminds me of Kimura from Hajime no Ippo. It's like the authors just don't want them to win at all.

Users who are viewing this thread