Search Bar Optimization

Power Uploader
This might be a minor inconvenience more than anything, but can you improve search optimization on the site? I've got two/three issues that may warrant at least some consideration.
  • The Doujinshi Tag: The most egregious example that comes to mind is Bocchi the Rock! When searching for it, you receive multiple doujinshi before receiving the correct title. If you search 'bocchi' you should expect Bocchi the Rock! to be one of the top results when in reality, it isn't. (Attachment 1)
  • The Osananajimi Problem
    • Out of all the words I never expected to type frequently, osananajimi was one of them. There are a little over 200 titles containing this word, and it illustrates the issue the best. When you search osananajimi, you are met with four different titles below 1,000 follows. One could argue that these titles are not very relevant to the average reader, so why is the search giving them priority above other, more recognizable titles? (Attachment 2)
    • If you wish to continue your search deeper and use the advanced search function baked into the search bar OR use the 'see more' button from the search page, you'll find that suddenly, the titles are different. Why is that? If you're sorting by none as the default, shouldn't the same titles be placed first? (Attachment 3)
After a tiny bit of thought, it is believed the best course of action would be to have the search bar use "Most Follows" as the default search criteria. Titles with the most follows are more likely to be relevant to the searcher and this action would solve the issues listed above.

I'm always open to other solutions, so be sure to leave your thoughts below

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-03 124627.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-03 124627.png
    336.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2024-07-03 130307.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-03 130307.png
    158 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2024-07-03 134459.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-03 134459.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 1
Power Uploader
  • If you wish to continue your search deeper and use the advanced search function baked into the search bar OR use the 'see more' button from the search page, you'll find that suddenly, the titles are different. Why is that? If you're sorting by none as the default, shouldn't the same titles be placed first? (Attachment 3)
I've had that problem many times in the past. The most bizarre thing is when you find the title with the exact name on the first result of the quick search, but way down in the advanced search. You would expect the queries to be the same, but it looks like they're not - or the front end is at fault.
Example :
mullvadbrowser_2024-07-04_04-07-19.pngmullvadbrowser_2024-07-04_04-07-59.png

On the advanced search, the title looked for is at the 9th position.

I've also had a weird case where, again with the exact name typed out, I couldn't find the title in any MD search but it was the first result on most search engines. Didn't save which one unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread